“A step above your average budget hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My friend who booked this hotel for three of us noticed that the money taken from his card was nearly £100 more than the price given when booking on the Holiday Inn website. On checking in we queried this and they said they would look into it overnight.

On enquiring the next morning, it was explained to us that this was due to a communication error between the booking system and the hotel which had resulted in the system assuming full occupancy for our rooms. They refunded the surplus charge to friend's card. Moral of the story, check your card statement after making a booking for this place.

On the plus side, the hotel is only a year old and the rooms and public areas are both nicely furnished, though most of the tables in the breakfast and bar area seem to be wobbly. A small point but irritating.

The breakfast is included in all room rates and consists of the usual choice of cereals, toast, juices and hot drinks. The only hot options are pork sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans.

The room was nicely furnished and the bathroom has one of the biggest shower cubicles I've ever seen. That said, the beds felt pretty soft. The room I stayed in also had a rather small window for the size of the room, making it quite dark inside. However, the room was excellent value for money on the deal we obtained and is definitely a step above the norm from other budget hotel chains like Travelodge and Premier Inn.

If you require to be right in the centre, this might not be the best choice for you (the Crucible and the Cathedral are between 5 and 10 mins walk way) but it was good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simon263

Reviewed April 19, 2012

A good comfortable over night hotel , but parking is a bit restricted and you have to pay £5.00 which is not the norm for hotel parking , the room was nice and clean ,food was good and a good nights sleep was had , the hotel is close to the town centre and with a good veiw of the river which flows past the front doors , overall i was pleased with the service and conditions of this hotel and will be going back when convenient .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
SVandevelde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for making the time to review our new property.

As with all the city centre hotels in Sheffield we charge for car parking as this comes at a premium. We considered this the better option and opted against an adjacent NCP , which would cost our guests more.

I hope to welcome you again soon and to Sheffield.

With best regards

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I got our room for a deal from hotels.com. All in all, the hotel was a fine place. My biggest complaints are 1- the bed sagged a LOT in the middle and was a bit hard. However, the pillow choices that they gave us made up for quite a bit. They do specifically designate firm and soft pillows for each bed. 2- there was no clock in the room. Although the TV came equipped with a wake-up call service, all it did was turn the television on. There was no sound, so had I not already been awake, this could have posed a major problem. 3- This is not the best area of Sheffield. Originally I booked the place thinking that I would be happy to see a bit more of the city, and the pictures made the little river area next to the hotel seem attractive. Trust me, it is not a pretty area. The stream is dingy and full of litter, and when I had to walk through the area at night I was warned not to go alone as it was not particularly safe. That being said, I never met any shady characters or folks involved in suspicious looking activities, but as I said, it's not a great area of Sheffield. However, back at the hotel, the breakfast was good. It had eggs, beans, sausage, yogert, rolls, croissants, fruit, coffee, juice, etc. The eggs were made in such a way so that they almost had the consistency of custard. I liked them, my husband didn't. I might stay there again if I'm not traveling alone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback.

It is true to say we had some problems in the area just before x'mas , but so did all the other hotels. The area is as safe and unsafe as you make it.

I look forward to see you again in our new hotel

Best regards

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I don't usually stay at a HIX but the lure of attractive 'opening' rates,convenient location and a brand new hotel got the better of me! Whilst the lobby area was typically that of budget hotel of this type the fixtures and fittings in the room were far superior to most properties in this price range. The room itself was also larger than normal and a comfortable bed made up for the 'coldness' of the downstairs area.Indeed, on checkout I was contemplating even staying there again on my next visit to the city.The reason that I haven't was the bill for parking that I received some 4 weeks later from a third party firm who obviously have been given the contract of securing income from the hotel's car park. It was a mere-£95pounds! No-one bothered to ask me at check-in or check-out if I had a car in the car park and I assumed when nothing appeared on the bill the following morning that this was a 'perk' of being a Platinum Priority Club member. I hope that they invest the money wisely in staff training for the benefit of future customers but hotels which use these 'schemes'( the word scam also comes to mind!) as an easy way to maximise profits should realise that in the long run they are the losers as all it does is alienate the customers and benefit their competitors who have a more hospitable and professional approach to guests who happen to have the inconvenience of using the hotel's own car park.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank JLJAMZ

Dear Guest

Feel free to email me direct regading your car park charge as I can get this waived from the company that manages the spaces.

There are however signs all around the carparking and pay and dispay machines highlighting the cost of carparking.

As all other city centre hotels space and carparking comes at a premium and is no longer free.

my email gm@holidayinnsheffield.co.uk

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Excellent value - quiet room with the very latest smart Holiday Inn Express Format. Room looked hardly used. Wasnt recognised as a Priority Customer on arrival and the same bland breakfast. How come every HIEXP Ive stayed in in the past year have cold baked beans!!

Anyway great value and within walking distance of Sheffield Centre

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback.

I will look into why the free breakfast had cold items on the display and we have hotplates to keep them warm thoughout.

Hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights - £34 p/n for 2 inc breakfast - excellent value.
Rooms are all alike, modern and attractive.
Some rooms have a view of the River Don.
Breakfast is standard HIx but perfectly good and excellent for the money.
Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast is from 6:30-10:30 but you could still get drinks for a while after this.
Location is excellent - just 10 minute walk from City Centre and station.

Room Tip: I always try to stay on a high floor to avoid noise, however, noise is not a big problem in this loc...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback

hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We found ourselves once again in Sheffield for the swimming at Ponds Forge. We had a very good 2 nights sleep, the bed was comfortable, the pillows great and NO Noise. The room was up to date, tidy but could have done with a better clean. Bathroom clean and it was great to see a large walkin shower, good for my disabled son. Downside towels were dirty, and no bathmat on the second night, slippery tiles, I almost fell after a shower.
The bar food was ok although it would be nice to see some pasta on the menu. Staff friendly and efficient. Would I stay again yes.

Room Tip: Most rooms look to be in a quiet area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn the bath linnen was not up to scratch.

I will monitor and adress with the innen company as we strive for the best standards at all times.

Many thanks for brining this to my attention and I hope to welcome you back for your next swimming gala.