“I know it's a hostel but really!”

Russell Scott Hostel
Yeadon, United Kingdom
“I know it's a hostel but really!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I booked for 3 nights and left after forcing myself to stay for 2! I've stayed in quite a few hostels in the past and this was the worst - even worse than the one in Thailand that was currently at the top of my list! The room was shabby (acceptable for a hostel) but was also dirty (not acceptable), the door didn't lock from the inside (unacceptable for a woman staying on her own) and when I asked the member of staff he was aware that the lock was broken! The supposed washroom facilities for men and women weren't separate at all and the toilet and shower rooms were all very dirty. I don't know if the residents are supposed to clean up after themselves but they didn't and there was no apparent cleaning rota or cleaner employed. Very disappointing - I like their philosophy but shabby doesn't have to mean dirty! It was also disappointing that some idiot didn't have his door code and decided to wake up the whole house at 4am by making whooping noises outside the door - that just finished off the whole experience for me!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lou L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I failed the first rule of travel - always check the reviews before booking. I have stayed in other hostels around the world but this one did not live up to expectations. It was almost depressing in its meagreness and need of update. The rooms are sparse and bedding barely adequate for early October. The lack of common room or a TV also reduce the adequacy of accomodation. I'm not sure this is value for money or good from an accessibility perspective but stay if you must.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosemary k

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Good for value, in need of some decoration,, friendly staff when present, more suited to people under 30, up a steep hill , could do with a tv available, no common room just dining room, bit out of the way and hard to find

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Marc_Leigh, Front Office Manager at Russell Scott Hostel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Good Evening David, thank you for your positive review i hope you got to your interview OK. We thrive on receiving any review we use this to upgrade our customer service and look for new ways we can improve the accommodation. there is talk of putting a tv in the kitchen as you are well aware there isn't space for a common room unless we closed one of our rooms down and converted it however i will pass on this review to the manager. please come back soon you where a delight to have.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Upon arrival I was over charged. The owner told me to enjoy my stay and when I asked about if my room had a key/code he said "oh yeah, your room doesn't have a code as it doesn't lock"! Boy did I feel safe.
Two days later the room was locked and I asked a roommate what to do and he said to just put the code in, so they had 'fixed' the door and didnt bother to tell me there was a code.
The kitchen is ridiculously filthy, free breakfast is a joke as it consists of scraps. The house is very loud at all times and the walls are very thin as I heard loud snorers from across the house.
On my last day the shower didnt work and overall the house was just bad. Fair enough it's a hostel and it's cheap but yikes, it's bad.

Room Tip: If you can get a private room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Swimfan93
Marc_Leigh, Reception at Russell Scott Hostel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Good evening, i am a representative of the hostel in Sheffield and id like to start by thanking you for your review. we appreciate any feedback we get including the negative and we now are going to use this to make our customers happy with their stay and with our staff. i have read all the current comments from customers off many sites and they say the same things as well as that we do have some satisfied customers too. i want to reassure you and other future guests that if you wish to stay with us we are using all feedback to make this hostel a pleasant and safe place to stay. the hostel is currently cleaned daily, rooms and communal areas are cleaned daily & bedding is also replaced after after every guest that has used that bed has checked out. breakfast is provided daily with a range of cereals and bread for toast and a selection of jams and marmalade also if you don't wish to have breakfast at the hostel a short work away is a local cafe that offers high quality meals. we are currently looking into security of the rooms and welcome all suggestions guest may have. our staff are now currently undergoing training to bring high quality customer service to all our guest no matter what background. we will be making future changes to make our hostel better and we do hope you will accept our apology and hope will make a another visit in the near future. thank you
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I can't emphasise enough how AWFUL this so-called 'hostel' is. DO NOT STAY THERE. You couldn't PAY ME to stay there again. This isn't a hostel. It's a scummy, disgusting house with some random guys supposedly running it as a 'business' on a shoe string. It felt extremely unsafe, both from a hygiene and crime point of view. Every room I saw was FILTHY, particularly my bedroom. We stay in a 'private room' (I wouldn't even use such a room as a broom cupboard or cellar, let alone a bedroom). I can honestly say I have never smelt such a strong stench of mould in my life. The walls were crumbling, there was one huge hole where it appeared someone had punched the wall, the wall 'art' was mouldly... The worst thing was the filthy finger prints and stains on every single door - disgusting. You might think it's cheap, but believe me - IT ISN'T CHEAP ENOUGH. Stay somewhere, anywhere else.

Room Tip: AVOID this place.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MsPExeter
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hostel is what it says on the tin! Cheap! If you want a hotel, then book a hotel!! Our stay would have been terrible but for the fact we met some great Lithuanian people who were shop fitters staying there. We will be keeping in touch. The best part of the Hostel is the kitchen/dining area, it is a place where everyone goes and has food and drink together and socialises, we had some good nights and will not forget my stay there in a hurry lol

• Stayed May 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at Russell Scott Hostel for only one night in early September, 2012. I took the National express bus to Sheffield Interchange from Leeds with huge luggage. I booked a taxi to pick me up at a pub called Old Queens Head. After about 10 minutes taxi ride I finally arrived at the hostel, a bit surprised. It's located on a steep hill in Upperthorpe, suburb of Sheffield. It took me minutes to drag my huge luggage into the hostel..and it was raining outside. Certainly a lot of effort.

The guy at reception was Libyan British. He said he was born and raised in Sheffield. But he didn't sound so to me. Anyway the hostel owner, or the guy who was in charge, was from Yemmen if memory serves. The guy at reception was nice. I told him i was very interested in Arabic and he very kindly copied Arabic learning material to my USB stick.

The neighbourhood was a bit run-down with a lot of ethnic stores (selling mainly halal food). It had a large Tesco though. I bought a ready-made chicken tikka masala. I brought it back to RS hostel and nuked it in the kitchen. Really LOVED it. I ate chicken tikka masala 10 days on end after that.

Wifi connection at the hostel was somewhat sporadic but generally speaking it was not too bad. They didn't have lockers there so I had to constantly worry about my stuff. One of my roommates was from Australia who left the comfort of home and chose to work at a local restaurant serving boring traditional English foods (Fish and chips, yorkshire pudding sort of thing). He'd been staying at the hostel for at least a month so he really made himself at home. He was basically going commando with only a dirty towel wrapped around his waist. The way he was addressed was more like someone from a third-world country. He had to do shifts. Not sure if he still lives there anymore.

The pillowcase, sheets, blanket were not very clean. Presumably they hadn't been changed or cleaned for days. The night I stayed happened to be extremely cold. And my bed was next to the window. I could literally feel the chilly winds blowing towards me. Unfortunately the heaters inside didn't work. So I had to go to bed with my thick hoodie and jeans. They offered to give me a blanket and asked me to change to another bed slightly further away from the window at midnight. But I declined cuz I was only staying there for one night and couldn't be bothered to do that.

I got up early the next morning and had to jump into the freezing shower (water was very cold and no heating).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo