“DON'T STAY HERE - IT'S AWFUL!”

Russell Scott Hostel
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I can't emphasise enough how AWFUL this so-called 'hostel' is. DO NOT STAY THERE. You couldn't PAY ME to stay there again. This isn't a hostel. It's a scummy, disgusting house with some random guys supposedly running it as a 'business' on a shoe string. It felt extremely unsafe, both from a hygiene and crime point of view. Every room I saw was FILTHY, particularly my bedroom. We stay in a 'private room' (I wouldn't even use such a room as a broom cupboard or cellar, let alone a bedroom). I can honestly say I have never smelt such a strong stench of mould in my life. The walls were crumbling, there was one huge hole where it appeared someone had punched the wall, the wall 'art' was mouldly... The worst thing was the filthy finger prints and stains on every single door - disgusting. You might think it's cheap, but believe me - IT ISN'T CHEAP ENOUGH. Stay somewhere, anywhere else.

Room Tip: AVOID this place.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank MsPExeter

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hostel is what it says on the tin! Cheap! If you want a hotel, then book a hotel!! Our stay would have been terrible but for the fact we met some great Lithuanian people who were shop fitters staying there. We will be keeping in touch. The best part of the Hostel is the kitchen/dining area, it is a place where everyone goes and has food and drink together and socialises, we had some good nights and will not forget my stay there in a hurry lol

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at Russell Scott Hostel for only one night in early September, 2012. I took the National express bus to Sheffield Interchange from Leeds with huge luggage. I booked a taxi to pick me up at a pub called Old Queens Head. After about 10 minutes taxi ride I finally arrived at the hostel, a bit surprised. It's located on a steep hill in Upperthorpe, suburb of Sheffield. It took me minutes to drag my huge luggage into the hostel..and it was raining outside. Certainly a lot of effort.

The guy at reception was Libyan British. He said he was born and raised in Sheffield. But he didn't sound so to me. Anyway the hostel owner, or the guy who was in charge, was from Yemmen if memory serves. The guy at reception was nice. I told him i was very interested in Arabic and he very kindly copied Arabic learning material to my USB stick.

The neighbourhood was a bit run-down with a lot of ethnic stores (selling mainly halal food). It had a large Tesco though. I bought a ready-made chicken tikka masala. I brought it back to RS hostel and nuked it in the kitchen. Really LOVED it. I ate chicken tikka masala 10 days on end after that.

Wifi connection at the hostel was somewhat sporadic but generally speaking it was not too bad. They didn't have lockers there so I had to constantly worry about my stuff. One of my roommates was from Australia who left the comfort of home and chose to work at a local restaurant serving boring traditional English foods (Fish and chips, yorkshire pudding sort of thing). He'd been staying at the hostel for at least a month so he really made himself at home. He was basically going commando with only a dirty towel wrapped around his waist. The way he was addressed was more like someone from a third-world country. He had to do shifts. Not sure if he still lives there anymore.

The pillowcase, sheets, blanket were not very clean. Presumably they hadn't been changed or cleaned for days. The night I stayed happened to be extremely cold. And my bed was next to the window. I could literally feel the chilly winds blowing towards me. Unfortunately the heaters inside didn't work. So I had to go to bed with my thick hoodie and jeans. They offered to give me a blanket and asked me to change to another bed slightly further away from the window at midnight. But I declined cuz I was only staying there for one night and couldn't be bothered to do that.

I got up early the next morning and had to jump into the freezing shower (water was very cold and no heating).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

From start to finish our experience with Russell Scott was TERRIBLE. An hour before we were due to arrive we received an inaudible message telling us there was no room at the hostel despite having booked 3 weeks prior.

We were told we would be accommodated nearby but the price was £60 for one night (double the price we had paid)- We were also told that we would be reimbursed for the extra cost.

Upon arriving to our new hotel the owners had no idea what Russell Scott were talking about and said no room had been booked!

Luckily they had a spare room and were able to put us up last minute or else we would have been without a bed for the night!

Over 4 weeks later and we still have not received the money Russell Scott owe us and we have been lied to on several occasions!!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CMR37
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I had two single rooms booked here, however, when I turned up, I had to wait in the sort of reception for ten minutes until somebody came, when they came and looked at the booking sheet, they advised that the rooms were unavailable due to a water leak. I was offered beds in a shared room for free but if I'd wanted to share with people I didn't know I would have booked that way. I should have been advised before arrival.

Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank 720Nick720
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had placed a reservation with this hostel over 6 weeks prior to our visit. Only to receive a phone call as we walked up the road to the hostel to check in to explain that our reservation was being cancelled as the hostel didn't have any availability- when challenged on the ridiculousness of this statement the excuse changed to we don't accept website bookings anymore and they were not able or willing to honour there written contract with me. Nor where they prepared to help arrange an alternative.

Whatever the reason this is a totally unsatisfactory way to operate a business. DO NOT BOOK in to this hostel- Do Not accept this kind of service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Toby_7_12
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were advised that this was a cheap hotel, so were surprised to find out it was a hostel. However no problem we can do this. We could not check in on arrival at midday, check would be after 2.00 P.M. As we had a 1.00 appointment we did not see the room or the facilities. The 3 bed room was clean the beds were okay but the toilet downstairs smells of mould and damp, (must be a leak) the upstairs bathroom has a bath with shower attachment but no rod or holder for the shower head. Shower head in one hand soap and rinse with the other. A less than satisfactory stay.

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends