“an Alright hostel..located on a steep hill in Upperthorpe, Sheffield”

Russell Scott Hostel
Los Angeles, California
“an Alright hostel..located on a steep hill in Upperthorpe, Sheffield”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at Russell Scott Hostel for only one night in early September, 2012. I took the National express bus to Sheffield Interchange from Leeds with huge luggage. I booked a taxi to pick me up at a pub called Old Queens Head. After about 10 minutes taxi ride I finally arrived at the hostel, a bit surprised. It's located on a steep hill in Upperthorpe, suburb of Sheffield. It took me minutes to drag my huge luggage into the hostel..and it was raining outside. Certainly a lot of effort.

The guy at reception was Libyan British. He said he was born and raised in Sheffield. But he didn't sound so to me. Anyway the hostel owner, or the guy who was in charge, was from Yemmen if memory serves. The guy at reception was nice. I told him i was very interested in Arabic and he very kindly copied Arabic learning material to my USB stick.

The neighbourhood was a bit run-down with a lot of ethnic stores (selling mainly halal food). It had a large Tesco though. I bought a ready-made chicken tikka masala. I brought it back to RS hostel and nuked it in the kitchen. Really LOVED it. I ate chicken tikka masala 10 days on end after that.

Wifi connection at the hostel was somewhat sporadic but generally speaking it was not too bad. They didn't have lockers there so I had to constantly worry about my stuff. One of my roommates was from Australia who left the comfort of home and chose to work at a local restaurant serving boring traditional English foods (Fish and chips, yorkshire pudding sort of thing). He'd been staying at the hostel for at least a month so he really made himself at home. He was basically going commando with only a dirty towel wrapped around his waist. The way he was addressed was more like someone from a third-world country. He had to do shifts. Not sure if he still lives there anymore.

The pillowcase, sheets, blanket were not very clean. Presumably they hadn't been changed or cleaned for days. The night I stayed happened to be extremely cold. And my bed was next to the window. I could literally feel the chilly winds blowing towards me. Unfortunately the heaters inside didn't work. So I had to go to bed with my thick hoodie and jeans. They offered to give me a blanket and asked me to change to another bed slightly further away from the window at midnight. But I declined cuz I was only staying there for one night and couldn't be bothered to do that.

I got up early the next morning and had to jump into the freezing shower (water was very cold and no heating).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

From start to finish our experience with Russell Scott was TERRIBLE. An hour before we were due to arrive we received an inaudible message telling us there was no room at the hostel despite having booked 3 weeks prior.

We were told we would be accommodated nearby but the price was £60 for one night (double the price we had paid)- We were also told that we would be reimbursed for the extra cost.

Upon arriving to our new hotel the owners had no idea what Russell Scott were talking about and said no room had been booked!

Luckily they had a spare room and were able to put us up last minute or else we would have been without a bed for the night!

Over 4 weeks later and we still have not received the money Russell Scott owe us and we have been lied to on several occasions!!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CMR37

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I had two single rooms booked here, however, when I turned up, I had to wait in the sort of reception for ten minutes until somebody came, when they came and looked at the booking sheet, they advised that the rooms were unavailable due to a water leak. I was offered beds in a shared room for free but if I'd wanted to share with people I didn't know I would have booked that way. I should have been advised before arrival.

Stayed December 2012
4 Thank 720Nick720
Wragby, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had placed a reservation with this hostel over 6 weeks prior to our visit. Only to receive a phone call as we walked up the road to the hostel to check in to explain that our reservation was being cancelled as the hostel didn't have any availability- when challenged on the ridiculousness of this statement the excuse changed to we don't accept website bookings anymore and they were not able or willing to honour there written contract with me. Nor where they prepared to help arrange an alternative.

Whatever the reason this is a totally unsatisfactory way to operate a business. DO NOT BOOK in to this hostel- Do Not accept this kind of service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Toby_7_12
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were advised that this was a cheap hotel, so were surprised to find out it was a hostel. However no problem we can do this. We could not check in on arrival at midday, check would be after 2.00 P.M. As we had a 1.00 appointment we did not see the room or the facilities. The 3 bed room was clean the beds were okay but the toilet downstairs smells of mould and damp, (must be a leak) the upstairs bathroom has a bath with shower attachment but no rod or holder for the shower head. Shower head in one hand soap and rinse with the other. A less than satisfactory stay.

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Robert G
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A good, cheap, comfortable place to stay in Sheffield. The staff was really nice and friendly. It was little further away from the train station than I expected but not hard to find. As a single woman travelling alone my first impression of the area had me a little worried but it didn't take long to feel comfortable as everyone was quite nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Despite being very basic, and having first bad impressions from looking at the hostel from the road, it turned out to be a great place to stay. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. It was useful having a kitchen to cook our meals.

We were a team of 10 ice hockey players. They were very accommodating, finding a place to store all of our equipment.

In particular, the customer service we received was great. The man working at the hostel was extremely helpful and very friendly.

Would stay here again.