“Grounds need tidying up”

Innkeeper's Lodge Hathersage, Peak District
Ranked #6 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
birmingham
“Grounds need tidying up”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Recently stayed at the foxhouse and reading the reviews did not what to expect. on arrival had to wait a few minutes at the bar for boooking in, the young lady was very informative and showed us to our room which was quite spacious and apart from a few cobwebs quite clean with only small things like the cobwebs and tea spoon not being cleaned.
We was in room 10 and the only downfall was a noisy extractor fan going off every twenty minutes or so for around five minutes at a time,luckily enough i had packed some ear plugs and a good nights sleep was enjoyed.
I think the main downfall is the outside areas need a drastic clear up as on arrival the grass areas had been left to run wild and exsisting pot plants had not been tendered to for a long time and the outside decking to be honest was minging with a deep black gunge on top of it, not vey nice if you was to eat on there.
On the side for the entrance to the accommadation area, there is another outside area and this furniture needs repalcing imho once again the furniture has been negleted and i am surprised nobody has not broken an ankle with the chains that are placed around the bottom of the furniture with no warning to that effect and again the grass areas have been negleted, if you was driving or walking past this building i am sure it would turn you off booking.
The continental breakfast was quite good and the young staff are very friendly and helpfull but i do feel that perhaps an older head person could steer the younger staff regarding cleaning duties for the pub and rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Lovely location, friendly young staff, good selection of bitter and lager. My main issues were that if your spending an average of £5 for a starter and £14 for a main course then I really do expect waiter/waitress service. The menu descriptions read brilliantly but they were just average pub grub, really nothing special, expected better and I'm often suspicious when food arrives so quickly. Really wish I'd saved my cash and eaten from the fixed price menu which seemed much more simple and was 3 courses for £10. Would visit again but only for a pint and a sandwich. And the staff were friendly which always helps.

• Stayed June 2011

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We had Room 3 on the 28th May Bank Holiday weekend. Yes it wasn't great, the shower had some mould, the curtains and windows were grimy, but hey, this is a very old building, it is bound to leak and creak and have bits that are a bit battered around the edges!
It is lovely that the rooms are across a beer garden away from the noise of the pub. The fact that they are close to the road and hence have traffic noise is irrelevant. This is an old coaching inn, it is bound to be next to a road!
We have stayed here before as a result of a recommendation and will stay again. It is incredibly good value for money. The food is great, the breakfasts are fine, the young lively staff are a credit to the place.
We had new fluffy pillows and duvet, the bed a bit hard for my liking, but others may prefer that.
It got very busy on Sunday lunchtime but the fact that loads of people come here for lunch must mean that they all love it too.
Where else could you stay that you can start great walking within 50 yards of your bed? In this case the lovely Longshaw Estate (NT). It is a great starting point for walks on Higger Tor, the Surprise, Padley Gorge, Froggat Edge, Curbar Edge, White Edge etc.
Enjoy your break, have a good breakfast, fill your lungs with proper fresh air and get out there walking in this lovely area and come back to a comfortable, friendly place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night for a good walk, a nice dinner and a few drinks without having to worry about driving home. Paid £57 for room 8 which included a continental breakfast. Room was cold and heating was off. Apart from a towel rail warmer (which was also switched off) there was no way of turning on the heating. The window was open and would not close. It had been this way for weeks as the net curtains were dirty as a result of the draft. I managed to close it but then again, I nearly had to rip it off the frame in order to achieve this. The room was OK but it was not really clean. The shower tray had some black mould around it and the throw over sheet was soiled (I will leave it to your imagination as to what it was soiled with!). The bed sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable, however, we had to leave at 5:30am as we could not sleep a wink. Every 10 minutes some kind of motor would kick in. I think it may be a water pump? Heavy trucks drive past this pub all night so it is quite noisy (can't imagine what it would have been like if I had not managed to close the window!). The pub food is ok, that is, when you find something on the menu that they have in stock. I visited the Boat in near Doncaster recently of which is in the same chain (Vintage Inn). My experience there was that they did not have all of the menu available. My first question was; "Is all of the menu available?" I was told "Yes it is". So I ordered the Sirloin Steak. At which point the member of staff replied "Oh sorry there is no Sirloin Steak tonight" I did not make a fuss. It was only later when another couple sat at a table nearby when I noted that they ordered 3 items which were not available. Soup, Chicken and finally when they ordered their sweet they were told that they had no cream. This was a Monday night and very quiet. Now let's think about this for a minute. Sirloin Steak, Chicken, Soup and Cream. Mmmmm pretty hard to come by (NOT) and seasonal? I did not complain on the night as the young girl that served was pleasant enough and I am sure she was not responsible for the management of this establishment. Looked at some of the other reviews and can only say that this place is inconsistent to say the least. Would I stay here again? Only if I had broken down out side with no RAC cover! Good luck, if our experience is anything to go by you may need it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Despite being desperately busy and the end of what had obviously been a very busy day the staff were still smiles and friendly and actually looked like they were pleased to see you / be there.Yes there are a few bits that could benefit from a bit of updating and a spring clean but our room (room 10 ) was a lovely room spacious and full of character - beams and things - as long as you like creaky floors and a little bit of a higgledy piggledy walk to get there! The food whilst I suspect if we had been earlier we would have had to wait was very nice served swiftly and with a smile The Breakfast a cold breakfast was fresh and nicely presented and freedom to eat as much as you wanted in a relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.
Location wise it is so good that we were able to be walking out and about after a leisurely breakfast but still out before everyone else got there. On the whole I can't fault it and was even more impressed having been expecting something less having read the previous reviews

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed here for a Valentine's treat for 2 nights. It's a little remote, but a very lively, busy pub. The rooms are in a separate building from the main pub, but it's a very short walk across the beer garden. I was a little disappointed in our room initially, as it was freezing cold and uninviting and didn't have any character. There was only one chair at the desk and I would have liked 2 (armchairs preferably!)

The furniture was sparse and dated. The shower needed regrouting in places and the towel rail was precariously hanging on for dear life. The window sill was shockingly filthy!

However, our stay was wonderful. The staff - all young - were the best! They were, without exception, friendly, welcoming, chatty (but not pushy) and competent. The niggles about the room didn't matter, because they more than made up for any shortfalls. The cold room was soon heated up as soon as I pointed it out. We were provided with a great little heater immediately.

The food was good, although nothing to write home about. There's a good choiceof wines; I can't comment on the beer as we stuck with wine and fizz throughout our stay.

Breakfast is a cold buffet -cereals, juice,fresh fruits, yogurts, croissants and toast. This is served across the yard, in the pub and is very informal.

There's a very good bus service serving the local villages, so we left our car in the carpark for the duration of our stay and either walked or used the bus.

I wouldn't stay again as we are now very familiar with the area and don't have the need to, but I wouldn't hesitate if I was invited to an evenong "do" there.

All in all, a very pleasant stay, made so because of all the lovely staff!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Ok we only paid £20 for the room but even at that price you think the rooms would be clean!
we got there on saturday evening the pub was extremely busy so it took us half an hour to get in the room which we knew would happen due to the time. when we got in the room the was really nice with lots of charm from building over 100 years old. but then you looked a little closer there was thick dust on the beside tables and hole in the wall where I think someone had kicked it. we went straight into the pub for meal and a drink. it was extremely busy with lots of people complaining but i didn't what that to spoil things. we got back to room later that evening which at this stage my wife spotted a huge cobweb on the ceiling ! it was massive it must have been there for months then we looked at the shower which was covered in black mould .It made us wonder if the sheets had been changed and really spoiled a nice evening. I just hope they get this sorted!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chappers73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Millstone Country Inn
Millstone Country Inn
#1 of 4 in Hathersage

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Hathersage, Peak District? Share your experiences!