“Don't expect too much!”

Innkeeper's Lodge Hathersage, Peak District
Ranked #11 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night for a good walk, a nice dinner and a few drinks without having to worry about driving home. Paid £57 for room 8 which included a continental breakfast. Room was cold and heating was off. Apart from a towel rail warmer (which was also switched off) there was no way of turning on the heating. The window was open and would not close. It had been this way for weeks as the net curtains were dirty as a result of the draft. I managed to close it but then again, I nearly had to rip it off the frame in order to achieve this. The room was OK but it was not really clean. The shower tray had some black mould around it and the throw over sheet was soiled (I will leave it to your imagination as to what it was soiled with!). The bed sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable, however, we had to leave at 5:30am as we could not sleep a wink. Every 10 minutes some kind of motor would kick in. I think it may be a water pump? Heavy trucks drive past this pub all night so it is quite noisy (can't imagine what it would have been like if I had not managed to close the window!). The pub food is ok, that is, when you find something on the menu that they have in stock. I visited the Boat in near Doncaster recently of which is in the same chain (Vintage Inn). My experience there was that they did not have all of the menu available. My first question was; "Is all of the menu available?" I was told "Yes it is". So I ordered the Sirloin Steak. At which point the member of staff replied "Oh sorry there is no Sirloin Steak tonight" I did not make a fuss. It was only later when another couple sat at a table nearby when I noted that they ordered 3 items which were not available. Soup, Chicken and finally when they ordered their sweet they were told that they had no cream. This was a Monday night and very quiet. Now let's think about this for a minute. Sirloin Steak, Chicken, Soup and Cream. Mmmmm pretty hard to come by (NOT) and seasonal? I did not complain on the night as the young girl that served was pleasant enough and I am sure she was not responsible for the management of this establishment. Looked at some of the other reviews and can only say that this place is inconsistent to say the least. Would I stay here again? Only if I had broken down out side with no RAC cover! Good luck, if our experience is anything to go by you may need it!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Despite being desperately busy and the end of what had obviously been a very busy day the staff were still smiles and friendly and actually looked like they were pleased to see you / be there.Yes there are a few bits that could benefit from a bit of updating and a spring clean but our room (room 10 ) was a lovely room spacious and full of character - beams and things - as long as you like creaky floors and a little bit of a higgledy piggledy walk to get there! The food whilst I suspect if we had been earlier we would have had to wait was very nice served swiftly and with a smile The Breakfast a cold breakfast was fresh and nicely presented and freedom to eat as much as you wanted in a relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.
Location wise it is so good that we were able to be walking out and about after a leisurely breakfast but still out before everyone else got there. On the whole I can't fault it and was even more impressed having been expecting something less having read the previous reviews

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed here for a Valentine's treat for 2 nights. It's a little remote, but a very lively, busy pub. The rooms are in a separate building from the main pub, but it's a very short walk across the beer garden. I was a little disappointed in our room initially, as it was freezing cold and uninviting and didn't have any character. There was only one chair at the desk and I would have liked 2 (armchairs preferably!)

The furniture was sparse and dated. The shower needed regrouting in places and the towel rail was precariously hanging on for dear life. The window sill was shockingly filthy!

However, our stay was wonderful. The staff - all young - were the best! They were, without exception, friendly, welcoming, chatty (but not pushy) and competent. The niggles about the room didn't matter, because they more than made up for any shortfalls. The cold room was soon heated up as soon as I pointed it out. We were provided with a great little heater immediately.

The food was good, although nothing to write home about. There's a good choiceof wines; I can't comment on the beer as we stuck with wine and fizz throughout our stay.

Breakfast is a cold buffet -cereals, juice,fresh fruits, yogurts, croissants and toast. This is served across the yard, in the pub and is very informal.

There's a very good bus service serving the local villages, so we left our car in the carpark for the duration of our stay and either walked or used the bus.

I wouldn't stay again as we are now very familiar with the area and don't have the need to, but I wouldn't hesitate if I was invited to an evenong "do" there.

All in all, a very pleasant stay, made so because of all the lovely staff!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Ok we only paid £20 for the room but even at that price you think the rooms would be clean!
we got there on saturday evening the pub was extremely busy so it took us half an hour to get in the room which we knew would happen due to the time. when we got in the room the was really nice with lots of charm from building over 100 years old. but then you looked a little closer there was thick dust on the beside tables and hole in the wall where I think someone had kicked it. we went straight into the pub for meal and a drink. it was extremely busy with lots of people complaining but i didn't what that to spoil things. we got back to room later that evening which at this stage my wife spotted a huge cobweb on the ceiling ! it was massive it must have been there for months then we looked at the shower which was covered in black mould .It made us wonder if the sheets had been changed and really spoiled a nice evening. I just hope they get this sorted!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chappers73
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I'm not sure what happened to the Fox House - although it might have something to do with Innkeeper's Lodge and their takeover of different locations. I stayed once before in 2007, and it was very pleasant, with great service all round. This time however, we appeared to be put in a room that used to be two rooms, which amongst its other faults, had faulty heating, only a shower and no bath (not the end of the world though), but worst of all, the extractor fan for the kitchens ran through the centre of the room in a huge pillar. The latter did emit some considerable noise. A complaint about this at the time did not yield much of a response, and no offer to change rooms (perhaps, on reflection, I should have been more forceful about my concerns). Breakfast too, was served with something between indifference and disdain, crockery was not clean and generally an air of apathy seemed to pervade the whole operation. It is, as I say, a shame, because once upon a time, the Fox House was a really good place to stay. Sadly, it let itself down on this occasion.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fox House Vintage Inn for 3 nights in October. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 10. It was a lovely, spacious room and very clean. We had good nights sleep every night and the breakfasts are great. You get as much as you like of cereal, yoghurts, fruit, crossants , grapefruit, fruit juices, bread, toast coffee etc
We had fantastic evening meals there too and they are reasonably priced too.
It was the perfect base to visit Chatsworth House and Hardwick Hall. It is great place for walkers too as the surroundings are beautiful and we saw many walkers there.
This is the 16th Innkeepers Lodge that we have stayed at and we were well impressed.
If you want to stay at a classy hotel for a perfect relaxing break then stay at the Fox House.
Highly recommended

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laineyhodgson1959
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Really impressive location and nice cosy pub. Bar manager and staff were very friendly and we enjoyed our night in the pub. Breakfast was really basic but then it was cheap.
What really lets down this place is the rooms, we had rooms 2 and 3 and there was mould in the bathrooms and that just is not nice. Dark and a bit smelly too with noise from the road made me think i would never stay here again. Thanks but no thanks.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Days Inn Sheffield M1
Days Inn Sheffield M1
#32 of 53 in Sheffield
Hampton By Hilton Sheffield

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Hathersage, Peak District? Share your experiences!