“Xmas party night”

Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We were attending the Xmas party night with a group of friends and had made the decision to stay over rather than drive. The room was great and although compact had everything we needed. The meal at the party night was excellent and my partner who is vegetarian was really pleased with the food. To say how many were being catered for the food was amazing thank you.
The only concern we had was that the dj was quite poor and spent most of the evening slumped over his desk, no interactions with the guests and seemed little interested in what he was ment to be doing, we did raise our concerns at the time.
However this did not spoil the fun. Breakfast the following morning was excellent and the staff member serving breakfast was most polite, efficient and professional.
Finally we would like to comment on how homely this hotel felt and how welcoming it was.
For future reference I would look at customer service training to up skill the receptionist as she is the first impression of your team and talk to the dj about the spirit of Christmas but apart from that great stay

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Raquel S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad to hear you had a pleasant stay and also enjoyed your Christmas Party night! We have already discussed your comments with the DJ and we have implemented a rolling customer service/standards training. We appreciate your constructive comments and are already sorting any minor glitches.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

we have been having our works christmas do's there for the last 3 years.last couple of years have been good.....especially the food,which was buffet. could put what you liked on the plate a lot more to choose from,but this year was sit down meal which seemed to take forever.must have been over 2 hours by time we got to last course......a lot of people was looking bored.think when its christmas do's people want to eat then have a good dance.the d.j was playing christmas songs through the meal,but the music was not turned up till about 10.30 by that point i just wanted to go to bed.i was looking forward to aston halls home made yorkshire puddings which we never got this year!!!!

Room Tip: they reserve £65 per room so make sure you got your credit card or cash in the bank
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your feedback. We decided to move away from the carvery style meal from last year due to negative comments from many of our guests. I am sorry if you think this was detrimental. However, we ensure the portion sizes are quite generous for a plated meal. There was definitely no negative effect in the meal service times. Two hours is perfectly acceptable time for a four course meal. We still do our home made Christmas puddings, but they were not in the menu for the party nights in 2012. We did/do have them available in several other menus, and hope you will come again to try them.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had a great stay at this hotel. My wife and I travelled up by train from Cardiff. It's a fair way from the station so would be an expensive taxi ride but worth it. Reception was efficient and polite. The room was a good size but a bit chilly until we blasted it with the A/C. Comfortable bed. Xmas party dinner was the best massed produced meal I have had (and I have had a good number) and the breakfast was good too. Departure in the morning was equally efficient.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

I am happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and also a great Christmas Party! Thank you very much for the feedback!!!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked our wedding at Aston Hall 18 months prior to the date, from start to finish the hotel could not have been more helpful and professional. Zoe & Tara were our wedding coordinators and were there for our every whim, there were quite a few in the week running up to the wedding!!
The organisation of the day was superb, everything ran smoothly and on time. I had to change my room at the last minute and this was no problem, I even called in to view extra rooms so I could choose what I wanted.
We had 100 guests for the day and an extra 30 in the evening, most of my husbands and my family had quite a way to travel (people were coming from Spain, Denmark, USA, Scotland, Ireland and all of the UK) so we had a lot of our guests staying over, there was only ever positive comments about the surroundings, the setting, the staff, the food and the rooms.
We were actually late for breakfast the morning after our wedding and the kitchen made us some especially!!
From the moment we walked into Aston Hall we loved it and the service we received was outstanding and the staff polite and helpful, especially Tara & Zoe!
Thank you all so much for making our day so special and giving us the best memories!
Cannot recommend this hotel enough!!!
Sam & Claire

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your wedding at Aston Hall. It makes me and the team proud.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Please be aware of this hotel - we booked this hotel for a wedding that we were to attend on Friday the 30th of November. Me and my wife were really looking forward to this for the obvious reasons - but also as we have two young children one who suffers with a congenital lung problem - we dont get away very often at all. My daughter was rushed into hospital with breathing problems on Thursday and she was kept in. The next morning as soon as possible I rang the hotel hoping for a little compasion - it didnt come the hotel were very cold and insisted that I had to pay the full amount for the hotel room - which I have had to do. In any other circumstance whereby I cancel I would not feel so unhappy - even if the hotel showed understanding to show I was not making such an awful lie up then I could of sent through our daughters discharge notes.

PS Aston Hall thanks for your concern my daughter is out of hospital and on the mend again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trig596
Raquel S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your feedback but I would like to point out the following points.

It is a common occurrence for guests to either not arrive or cancel their rooms at short notice as was the case with you. If the hotel simply allowed this we would soon go out of business; this is the reason why we have a cancellation policy in place, as I might add nearly every hotel does the same. In some cases there is a genuine reason why a guest has to cancel a room and of course we are sympathetic to these reasons, however sometimes guests will give all kinds of reasons why they feel they should not have to pay a cancellation charge ranging from medical ailments to car problems. The reception staff are not allowed to simply waive a cancellation fee even if they believe there is a valid reason. If you had booked any other type of event such as a concert or the theatre would you also expect a refund?

Obviously if you had cancelled your room by giving the hotel more notice you would not have been charged a cancellation fee.

I was in the process of speaking to a director of the hotel but you decided to post your comments before I had chance to speak to him. It is a shame you felt it necessary to post your “review” without actually staying at Aston Hall.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked this hotel for a 1 night stay, the service was a shambles from start to finish and making a complaint made no difference the staff were incompetent and disinterested. We waited 20 minutes for check in as the hotel had a group booking who had arrived prior to us but the hotel had cocked up their booking. When i was attended to i was given no information about the hotel or asked if I needed help with luggage, all they were interested in was taking my credit card details in case I used the hotel facilities. When we went down to the bar the area smelt of sewage, the sevice was adequate but not welcoming as the bar staff talked among themselves ignoring us until they had finished their conversation. We went out and came back about 12.30am the bar area was was full of very drunken guests with their children their language was appalling. We asked for a drink the bar person asked for our key card which I gave him he said this wasn't what he wanted and I should give him the card I received on check in without this I couldn't have a drink, so I asked to speak to someone in charge eventually a night manager came and said it should have been explained to me at check in that drinks are charged to your room after 12am so the card is needed but the bar person could have checked we were guests and given us a drink. Whilst we were speaking the bar person came up to the desk and started to speak to her totally ignoring the fact we were having a conversation by this time my partner was getting annoyed and asked him to leave whilst we finished speaking she told the barman to serve us but then told my partner she would throw him out of the hotel for speaking to the barman. I proceeded back to the bar to order our drinks and asked for them to be served in another part of the bar we waited 20 minutes and were not served. Whilst we were waiting the night manager was dealing with the drunken party also in the bar the atmosphere and language wasn't very nice and quite intimidating. My partner went back again to speak to the night manager he told me she had called him a liar for saying we had ordered drinks and not been served so I went to speak to her to clarify the situation her reply was "well I didn't know that did I". We then gave it up as bad idea and went to bed, I went to close the curtains which I found were all ripped down the inside edge of both curtains, the TV didn't work and kept saying no signal. Next morning we went to reception to complain my partner was quite irate at this point as all the reception would say was we should have complained when all these things occurred ignoring the fact that we did. She did apologise for the smell in the bar as there were problems with the drains and for not explaining things to me in check in but she was busy dealing with the other big party but as I said I was a guest too and had paid the same. This was the most appalling and shambolic hotel I have ever stayed in they need to make up their mind whether they are a country house hotel or are a hotel for drunken functions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaudeSheffield
Raquel S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. On the occasion of your arrival, there was a large wedding party trying to check in which meant that you unfortunately had to wait. The hotel did not make any mistakes with this booking and the confusion was entirely caused by the guest responsible for the booking.

It is hotel procedure to take credit card details from all guests checking in to cover your stay and any extras you may incur. The staff did mention eviction from the hotel due to the use of abusive, threatening language towards them. This is not acceptable and I do not expect any of my staff to tolerate that sort of language from anyone, especially from drunk guests.

We do require a signed card in the bar after hours, for your own security, otherwise anyone could walk in and pretend they are staying in your room and add a few rounds on drinks for you to pay in the morning. This identification card was given to you at check in.

There was a small tear in the curtains in your room which had been done by a previous guest, at the time of your stay we did not have time to address this small problem. However, it had no detrimental effect to your comfort. The TV was tested after you left and presented no faults at all. Full instructions on how to use it are available in the guest directory that was in your bedroom and a member of staff could have assisted you with it, but this was never reported during your stay.

Overall, all the staff who dealt with you and your partner, both on the night and also in the morning, felt intimidated by drunkenness, abusive language and unnecessary shouting.

It is our aim that all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and I’m sorry that you feel this was not the case on this occasion.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for a friends birthday treat. We stayed in the Darcy House building of the hotel which is a separate smaller building. Fabulous rooms and bathrooms with a glass upper apex roof, how nice to lay in bed and be able to gaze at the stars:-)
How lovely would it be to stay in this building with all your friends for a girls weekend....just need a little spa area to complete it:-)
Really good food for dinner, the chef even made a desert for our friend's birthday which wasn't on the menu, great service too from Angela who really looked after us.
Teency weeny bit of feedback which is general for most hotels.......a better lit mirror for doing our hair n make up in ;-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Raquel S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am glad to read you had a great stay at Aston Hall. We all appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback regarding your recent experience.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again!