“Now closed?”
Review of the hearty oak - CLOSED

the hearty oak
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Now closed?”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I wanted to take her parents out for lunch for her mother's birthday on Friday 9th August. We decided to try the Hearty Oak, and arrived there only to find the doors locked and the premises in darkness. There were no cars in the car park, and apparently no-one around, the place seemed deserted. We had chosen the Hearty Oak because of the very good customer reviews on their own website, but goodness knows where those so-called "customer reviews" came from, because when I tried to write this review on their site, I found that the website doesn't have any facility for customers to post a review! Needless to say, we will not be trying the Hearty Oak again!!

Visited August 2013

Dronfield, United Kingdom
“Think this pub is now virtually closed”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

As we live fairly close, we have had a few meals at the Hearty Oak in the past, both as a couple and as a family. We have always been very satisfied. On our last visit however (late July) some of the items advertised on the Menu were not available and we felt as though we had settle for what they had in stock. When it arrived, the food was not very well cooked (some undercooked, some overcooked) and gave the impression of not having been expertly prepared. The staff seemed to be thin on the ground and had to be sought out (although there were not that many customers) even though it was not yet 2pm. To be honest, we didn't complain at the time but we left less than satisfied, especially as the prices are not exactly cheap. The quality of the food and service has definitely deteriorated this year although the business remains in the same hands. However, as I understand it, the family who own the business are not very enthusiastic about actually running it "hands-on" on a daily basis and are often not on the premises. Since our last visit, I believe they currently have no bar manager, no chef or qualified cook, (ie, no-one in charge) and few remaining bar staff. Despite the opening hours they advertise on their website, the pub has rarely been open after 9pm this year (apart from private party bookings) and recently has been closed all day until 6pm. This is hardly the working practice of a thriving business, open only from 6pm - 9pm! And no meals available!! If you're looking for somewhere for a good dining experience, I'd avoid the Hearty Oak at all costs ... and if you're looking to book a party, I'd be very wary, it looks very much as though this place is going under very soon.
I've given a rating of 1/5 only because I can't give 0/5.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tom P
Sheffield
“Good sunday lunch”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I called here for Sunday lunch one day recently.

The starters were lovely.

And the main course too.

There was plenty of choice and the staff were polite and friendly.

We will go again.

• Visited May 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Corrupt little girls playing "Management", DO NOT TRUST!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having a wedding do Saturday night just gone i was very, very disapointed.. We had 2 x buffets which catered for 50 per buffet.. which was either undercooked or burned! We were informed the day before the function that we must pay the DJ as soon as he arrives, at this point we stated we personally know the DJ... A DJ was already there on our arrival, of which we did not pay as he was the pubs DJ, and not the one we booked who i personally know! this didn't stop him trying to get my money by saying he was sent as a stand in DJ by the person i knew! Nice try Management there... I did think it was rather suspicious when they said to pay the DJ as soon as he enters the building even though we stated many times we DID NOT want the pubs DJ. He WAS sent on his way as soon as our DJ arrived! Very crafty try guys!.. Be very cautious when booking a function here!! pay no-one until the end of the evening!! This was not a genuine DJ double booking, this was a forced attempt of making me have their DJ on the night.. silly little girls playing management!! very unprofessional!!!!! im not even going to start ranting about it being £3.60 for carling there!!!!!!!!!

Visited August 2013
4 Thank tEANo k
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable visit, fabulous tasty food, great value”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Family of four really enjoyed our visit to the Hearty Oak for Sunday meal. Following tasty starters of soup and garlic mushrooms, three of us opted for the Sunday roast. All lovely; the meat was tasty and tender, veg spot on - fresh, perfectly cooked. Home made Yorkshire puddings, and portions plentiful. Hunter chicken was also well received, described as 'Hmmmmm' ! Desserts were delicious, my white choc and raspberry cheesecake was good, tangy and nice size portion. Others opted for various sundae desserts; individually made, clearly not 'bought in', and very well received! Service from the waitress and bar was friendly and efficient from arrival to us leaving. Overall an excellent visit and meal; all four of us left feeling happy and well fed, and the bonus being it was also very good value.

• Visited July 2013