“free soup”

The Devonshire
Ranked #214 of 1,541 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A new venture with the design of an eclectic Georgian townhouse. The Devonshire is an all-day bar and eatery in the heart of Sheffield City Centre on Devonshire Street. We are here to be enjoyed throughout the day, be it for your first coffee of the day, brunch with friends or a leisurely dinner. Our modern British menu combines local, fresh and seasonal ingredients and is not to be missed. Our gin & vermouth menu is made up of a selection of what we love and the same goes for our cocktail, beer & wine lists - in a nutshell, we have it all. Treat yourself to a late night tipple throughout the week and on weekends enjoy our resident DJ's on until 3AM, every Friday & Saturday.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

came in here on a quick lunch break from work. And decided on the sunday lunch to be told we had the choice of a free soup starter, this was by far the best news me and my work colleague had all day. when the soup came it was delicious as was the pork roast. great value for money and great food.

1  Thank timtim24

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I got reconmend by a freind to eat here so i gave it a go and its the best sunday roast iv had and u also get free soup with roast. I wil def be back nxt sunday.. We had to wait for a table as it was very busy but it was well worth the wait

1  Thank Laura1303
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Arrived at about 6pm for a meal with a mate. Had a pint before we ate. Large selection of beers, ales and spirits on display.

Service at the bar for drinks was fairly poor to say that I was one of only 4 people at the bar. Was not acknowledged by the 3 bar-staff even though they were chatting (it was work related stuff, to be fair) amongst themselves and with the chef/cook. Even a friendly, "Be with you in a sec" would be preferable to being ignored.

Table-service was very good, however.

I ordered the bread and dips (£3) and he had the Cullen Skink (£4 - I think?). The bread and dips came with plenty of bread (white, brown and thin toasted) and a pot each of Balsamic, Rosemary(and Garlic?)-infused olive oil and home-made hummus. Mine was delicious and perfect as a starter. My mate liked the Cullen Skink too.

Mains were delivered promptly. We both had ordered the Shin of Beef with Parsnip Dauphinoise (£9). It was delicious. The beef was moist and tender. The Parsnip was creamy and perfectly cooked.

We were both very pleasantly surprised by the standard of food offered. It exceeded my expectations greatly. I will definitely eat here again.

1  Thank mattsand0
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The only thing I'll miss about living in Sheffield is this pub. From the vast choice of world beers to cocktails to great music to locally sourced food, this pub is absolutely stunning in every area.

The service wavers from average to excellent (the managers are excellent), however the food and the drinks speak for themselves.

I will always pop into The Old House every time I go to Sheffield. Their hand-cut chips are something to die for.

1  Thank IsabellaBrookes
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Returned to the Old House in the evening this time and found the place heaving with a great atmopshere. The only trouble is finding a seat ( at 5.30) eventually bagged one and ordered the pie and peas and a side of chips - pie was chicken stifado - an odd combo but it worked. Very filling. The place was still heaving when we left at around 7.45. Staff quick and friendly. Try it.

1  Thank L T