“11 Months since I was last here & its still magnificent”

Fusion Organic Cafe
Ranked #182 of 1,447 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Cafe, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a lively and original award winning Gastro-cafe in the centre of Sheffield, now in our fourth year of trading. As part of Freeman college, we offer real work experience to young adults with autistic sprectrum disorders to help them build a positive future for themselves.We serve fresh local and organic food, from quick snacks to fine meals, all hand made on the premises.Our food is cooked with care by our enthusiastic team. We believe in creating food that is fresh, healthy and above all tasty.We do our best to cater for all dietary requirements and always have vegan and gluten free options available
Sheffield
“11 Months since I was last here & its still magnificent”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

After 11 months of last coming here I decided to go back and have another lunch.

My immediate thought was why did it take me so long to go back?
Also, would anything have changed?

So firstly, I should return more and also NO.

It was during the week and just after the main lunch hours so it was a little quiet.

I had previously had a Panini but this time I wanted to try a special that was available.

So on a chalkboard are a selection of special quiches and special main courses. I had decided to order a quiche with a special daily salad. I had ordered a Fennel, Chorizo & Manchego quiche, accompanied with a new potato salad with salad leaves. Followed by a banana, cardamom, cinnamon & orange syrup cake.

So the quiche, it had a lovely flaky pastry, the fennel was quite sweet and was a great accompaniment to the slight spice of the chorizo. I must admit I’ve never had manchego before (also wasn’t aware what it was at first) so I couldn’t really comment on what I was meant to be picking up on.

The cake was moist and heavenly. It had small pieces of the banana with a great mix of spice from the cardamom and cinnamon then to finish on the palate was that sticky sweetness from the orange syrup.

To drink was a glass of organic apple juice (which was from concentrate) which to be honest I would have hoped the juice would have been organic and pressed rather than from concentrate which didn’t quite fit in with the organic ethos I felt.

Next time I will skip in the apple juice and enjoy everything else in the café.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rother_Leo

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were visiting Sheffield for the first time whilst on a day trip during our Peak District holiday. Fusion was suggested by one of the staff at the Millennium Gallery as it was close to some silversmith workshops they thought we would be interested in. It was just what we wanted for lunch after the twee tea shops of the Peaks and regular pub lunches. Good, simple home cooked food with modern salads. Filling and vaguely healthy. Good atmosphere with local office workers and Uni academics having lunch. Would definitely go again if in Sheffield.

• Visited September 2012
Sheffield
“You're in luck on Friday evenings”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Fusion Cafe now serves evening meals on Fridays between 6pm and (last orders) 8pm. Some of the best and most interesting food in the city, mainly locally sourced and always seasonal. We have eaten the best venison steaks ever, as well as delicious fish, chicken and lovely fresh vegetables. Starters are imaginative and deserts are delicious. The ambience is different from the daytime with skillful use of lighting. There's no licence so bring your own - useful to call first to establish the menu so you take the right wine. because the food is freshly sourced, arriving at 8pm sometimes means one dish is finished - but in general that's a good sign.
This is without doubt a lovely way to wind down after a hectic week.

• Visited May 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Delicious light lunch”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Really nice lunch in a lovely setting. Reasonably priced and large portions. Really nice salads too. Only down side was an over-enthusiastic waiter - tone it down please!

• Visited May 2012
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a great place for lunch, in a similar vein to the Blue Moon vegetarian cafe near the Cathedral. However, the atmosphere is nicer, with very cheery and friendly service. The food is exceptional, and the portions are generous. The menu is a little unusual to get your head around at first, but typically you might choose a bit of homemade quiche with a variety of the different salads. Everything I have ever tried here is fresh and tastes amazing. It can be quite busy, but it is hidden away in the old industrial works of the cultural and industrial quarter, so thankfully you can usually just about get a table. That said, it is literally just a couple of moments from Sheffield Hallam, the train station and the city centre. The biodynamic coffee is their speciality (just ask if you are not sure what this is, it's quite unusual), and tastes great. They are run by the Ruskin Mill Trust, which has its college next door. Again ask the staff to explain, but it is great to support this venture.

• Visited November 2011