“Service dreadful”

Ranked #206 of 1,546 Restaurants in Sheffield
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Eat here fairly regularly with friends and generally the food and service good. Four of us dined last night and the whole experience was at best average. Waited 10 minutes at the bar to be served when finally received a bottle of wine had to ask for glasses! Once at the table we were constantly waiting for the waitress to show up so we could order more drinks etc After waiting ages to order coffee/tea we managed to distract the staff who were chatting in a group of 3! We received the wrong order but having lost the will to live left! The salmon and the chicken were overcooked, I had the distinct impression that they had been left under the heat for sometime to keep warm :(
Whilst the restaurant on the far side seemed quite busy the bar was very quiet, that said I have eaten here when very busy previously and always had good service. Very disappointing!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We currently have a booking for Christmas Day at The Prince of Wales but, after reading some of the other reviews the restaurant has recently received on tripadvisor I was a bit concerned.

I must say, however that my fears were unfounded. We ate here as a party of four on Friday and we all agreed that the meal was wonderful. The restaurant was absolutely packed so, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic meal it probably wouldn't be a good choice but we wanted a lively, fun atmosphere and it certainly had that.

The food was well cooked and well presented. Very enjoyable indeed.

The staff were lovely,polite and helpful and although there was a wait between courses we were grateful as we didn't want to be rushed through the meal.

All in all a very nice experience and I am very much looking forward to eating here again on Christmas Day.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Loads of atmosphere, rammed bar, and a great time being had by all.. at least all of the lager lads posing round the bar - all you could wish for on a good friday night at a deservedly very popular pub.. but know what you want.. this wouldn't be a recommendation for a quiet, conversational meal with friends or family.. at least not on a Friday night.. I have eaten here before midweek or on a quieter evening and had a lovely time.. (hence review is an average of several trips)

The decor is great, and the eating areas look well separated from the bar area, but once the noise cranks up, it's hard to hear yourself think, let alone chat. The waitress service was really nice and attentive, but not all that knowledgeable.. 'What British beers have you got?' 'err Grolsch, Carling.. ' OK - there are some Brit. beers, but you might have to fight your way to the bar to find out what they are..
The food was nice, not great but nice enough, but in my view overpriced, and not comparable to other better Gastro-pubs in Sheffield. We had chosen to book for Friday night because of the 'Fish Menu' which sounded tempting, but was in fact limited and over-priced..

So overall not bad, but pick your time if you want to miss the lively crowd.. this is a popular pub as well as a restaurant, as you'll discover if you choose to eat at peak times! If you're one of the Proud and Loud, enjoy! ; )

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I dined here on Tuesday evening with 9 people in the party. On arrival we decided to have drinks at the bar. It took ten minutes to be served and when I eventually found the barman I asked "are you serving?". His reply was not an apology but I was told that 'he had other things to do as well as serving at the bar' He appeared reluctant to serve. Someone else in the party had to wait to be served at the bar and complained. The restaurant wasn't busy with only about ten other people at the bar. The meal was tasty and reasonable value. The service when having the meal was good and the staff were very helpful. What a pity that a member of bar staff let the restaurant down so badly.

Matt W, Manager at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Hi,

Many thanks for your feedback & I apologise you have left with a negative opinion of The Prince of Wales. We want every guest to enjoy themselves when they visit & we do pride ourselves on attentive service, obviously this time we have not achieved this. I will be raising the issues you have fed back to us with my team from that evening to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Once again I am sorry you were let down by the service you received

Regards

Matt Weldon

Reviewed November 4, 2013

There's no doubt that the meal was tasty, we were a party of 6: 4 adults and 2 children having a late lunch on a saturday afternoon.
Very pleasant decor, atmosphere and surroundings with lovely clean loos but, sitting in front of the 'kitchen' it wasn't adviseable for the kitchen and managerial staff to be bickering and arguing about orders in front of us, it also wasn't great to see serving staff dropping dishes / food on the floor!
Additionally somone on another table ordered a burger and the bun and salad were under the hot plate for over 20 minutes whilst plating up etc. happened and im glad that wasn't my food!
Service was awful though, firstly it was often impossible to find someone to ask for service with the manager going outside for cig breaks and serving staff chatting with glasses of pop in the background and when they did walk past they kept their eyes down and averted so that you could say "please can i have another drink?!" We were not in a rush but if we were we would have left before we even received our drinks order!
We asked for a scoop of ice cream each for my young children and were told we could only have the ice cream sundae each and were then charged £11 for the pleasure!!
No doubt the food was all tasty and the surroundings most agreeable but I would not return due to the poor service and would not recommend others to go for that same reason either.

Hi,

Many thnaks for leaving your comments on your experience here. I am very sorry to see that you have left with such a negetive opinion of our restaurant, which is highly disappointing.
We work very hard to deliver exceptional standards and I am sad to see that we did not get it right for you on your last visit. I only wish that I had had the opportunity to rectify this with yourselves on the evening.

I strongly urge you to try us again and allow us to go lengths to showing you what The Prince of Wales is really best at- great food, great service.

Reagrds