“Faultless”

Ranked #126 of 1,477 Restaurants in Sheffield
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and i and two of our friends went to this restaurant on Sunday for lunch. Everything was faultless. Lovely staff, friendly, efficient, and polite. The food was first class, the atmosphere nice and the surroundings warm and welcoming. If you want a quality meal without having to pay the earth, go here, You will not be disapointed.

There are newer reviews for The Prince of Wales

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We moved to the area about a year ago and for the last year have almost managed to visit the prince at least once a week, the food and atmosphere are second to none and the friendly staff make you feel so welcome , yes we have experienced them running out of food but with how busy they always are they can only do their best and they have always offered us an alternative , with us having a young daughter who is very demanding we find it hard for another quality place in the area so the prince is a breathe of fresh air! Reading the other reviews about a Sunday I could only suggest go earlier as it is Sunday lunch and expecting to get a roast after 5 when they are so popular and busy, I'm not sure why people complain but hey ! We love the prince and atmosphere and they do the best martini's ! My only niggle would be to have a few more fish specials on as we love the fish nights you do :)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We regularly go this pub/restaurant whether it be for drink or meal. From our experience the food is always of a decent standard and at sensible prices - the offer of a free bottle of Moet on your birthdays isn't bad either! The place always has a good atmosphere with a buzz and the seating areas are both comfortable and spacious. There has been the odd disappointment when they have run out of the Sunday roasts - this is either because it is perhaps a popular place or a bit of bad planning!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

They are close enough to home to warrant a visit on certain Sundays and thus avoid the trek to 'The Cricketers' or 'The Dore Moor Inn', and yet after every mournful sojourn I always wish we had. For starters they appear to have the inept ability of running out of both beef and pork just as we arrive, leaving only the dregs available for the punters who don't grasp for the opportunity to plan their day around an spectacularly uneventful meal i.e. making a strict reservation; it's only a Sunday, we have 4 a month. If we were to arrive at 17:00 only to be told that they had run out of the staples of an English roast dinner I would be more inclined to forgive them, however we have been there at 14:30 in the past only to find that they had ran out of beef yet again. These occurances are avoidable; I won't be back for Sunday dinner, however certain special occasions, namely birthdays, are not.
Three times I have been there for such occasions and each time has proven to be lacklustre. The first time I ordered a medium rare ribeye steak from a lovely woman who was rigged out in what could almost be described as an evening gown; I can only assume she was the manager as the rest of the waiting staff wear uniforms. 15 minutes after I have placed my order she comes back and tells me they are out of rib eye steak, shocker, however she is extremely apologetic and offers to upgrade my steak to a fillet for the same price as the rib eye. This was a nice gesture, but meant that my food came much later that everyone else on my table which also meant that I was the last to finish by quite some margin; a harbinger of events yet to transpire perhaps?
The second and third of these particular visits to the Prince of Wales can be told almost in parallel. Being special occasions I chose to order the fillet steak (having previously found it to be quite delicious). Both times I ordered the steak medium rare, and both times it initially came back virtually desiccated; not even a slight hint of pink. Two beautiful cuts of meat ruined. Some time after I have made it clear to the management that I expect a medium rare steak I have my meal returned to me and low and behold it comes back dripping with blood, not blue but certainly rare. By this point the entire table has finished their main course.
On the second occasion I simply told them to cook it for a little while longer. I was later astonished to find that no reparations had been made to the bill.The manager (I assume) on this occasion, a short man with glasses, lacked all courtesy previously shown by his colleague, he never once appeared to be even slightly apologetic for what was happening. For this reason it would be dishonest of me to score this restaurant anything more than an 'average' rating on the service front. The only reason I am not scoring it as 'terrible' is down to the regular waiting staff who are efficient and friendly, and the woman that dealt with my meal the first time and third time around. It is worth noting that on the third occasion, after my steak arrived rare, I simply told them to take it off the bill as everyone on the table had finished their meal, and I did not feel like making them wait yet again.
The only redeeming feature was the atmosphere which is as you would expect of a 'local' upmarket pub. The food, in my experience at least, was inconsistent, and as it stands it is too expensive. A fillet steak costs £21.95. To put that into perspective a fillet steak at Milanos, arguably one of the best restaurants in Sheffield, costs £24.80.
Tl;dr: If you are looking for a restaurant you will remember for the right reasons whilst in Sheffield, avoid The Prince of Wales.

1  Thank GoodNewsBadNews
Reviewed January 7, 2013

For the third time we booked a table for Sunday lunch and for the third time guess what?Sorry but we have no pork no beef no chicken left.Very poor management.But they did have the gammon which was good and we thought as a token or gesture from the management of a reduction on our bill would be given!!!Not a penny off.So a warning to anyone out there thinking of Sunday lunch at the Prince of Wales make sure you book before 3.30