“Average stay”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night on 14th July. Very hot and there was no air con - a desk fan was provided instead but because we were in a family room one desk fan was not adequate and we were hot in the night.

Good points; big balcony in our family room, breakfast had lots of choice, bar staff and everyone was friendly, great spa facilities

Bad points; no air con, had one towel in a family room and had to ask for more. I have stayed in a deluxe room before and a family room is just a deluxe room but with another double bed squeezed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the breakfast, spa and found the staff members friendly.

It is unfortunate that our bedrooms do not have air conditioning and I am sorry that you found the fan inadequate.

I would also like to apologise for the lack of towels in the bedroom and I have addressed this with the Head Housekeeper.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

stayed two nights,Friday and Saturday. so hot we were unable to sleep, no air con. and the windows only opened a fraction.There was a desk fan but it was useless. provided with a small complimentary bottle of water the first night but not the second..so it was annoying that they placed large bottle with a £3.95 price sticker on it on the dresser...under the circumstances mean in the extreme....as was the £5 per night parking fee which we didnt know about until we arrived. have stayed in three other Sheffield Hotels while daughter is at Uni and they were all better than this one...but thats not the fault of the staff who were all pleasant and friendly. To be fair the Hotel was clean/comfortable and would probably be good for mid week visits...but not if its sunny outside/

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lorras31
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I am glad to see that you found the staff members helpful and friendly.

I am sorry that we do not have air conditioning in the rooms and that you also found the fan inadequate. The window safety catches can be removed upon request.

Your feedback regarding water and car parking at £6 per night have been taken on board; thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here from the 19th July until 21st July 2013. It was a really Comfortable stay especially the Power Shower excellent for this weather. The only reason I never gave it a 5 star rating was there was no Air Conditioning at all. However they did give us a fan for the room free of charge. The room Service was excellent on both days. We even got upgraded to a deluxe which was very nice. Overall a very pleasant stay....

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the Queys were Beautiful especially if you are lucky enough to get a Balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I was glad to read that you did benefit from the fan.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The best thing about this hotel was the staff, i can not fault them, they were friendly, helpful and welcoming.
But the downsides:
No air con, and although a desk fan was provided the rooms were unbearably stuffy and hot, and almost impossible to sleep, especially in the higher floors. The window only opened slightly, which i understnad for health and safetly, but this meant no air could get into the room. The bathroom had no window or ventilation of any kind, and was even hotter!
I was on the top floor, and had to walk down 3 floors before finding an ice machine that was even turned on
I ordered room service, which was advertised as "fine dining" - and this was a further waste of money - the service was excellent, and the wait wasnt long, however this was truly reflected in the quality of the food delivered. Both items were advertised as specials, but were so greasy they were practically unedible. chicken quesadillas were dripping in grease, and luke warm served with red onion chutney, and turned soggy due to the grease. Parmasan crusted chicken with fresh tomato salsa was again ridiculously greasy, and the fresh tomato salsa was the same pre-bought gloop as the red onion chutney for the starter - nothing fresh about it!
the noise was awful through the night, and really this was not at all what you would expect from the Hilton brand, and far more what you might expect in a budget hotel - just at Hilton prices!
I wouldnt stay here again.
I havent written bad reviews before for hotels, but this really was a disappointment

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to read that you found the staff members helpful and welcoming.

I am sorry that we do not have air conditioning in the rooms. Fans are provided to help with high temperatures and the window safety catches can be removed upon request.

Due to the hot weather ice machines were in high use and I am sorry that you had to find a machine on a different floor.

I would also like to apologise for the poor quality room service that you received and please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards. Your feedback has been addressed with the Head Chef.

I am also sorry for any noise experienced and we are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing in the hotel..

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Currently 5am in the hotel and have been kept awake all night.
Not only do the rooms have no air con, would expect that at least for the prices you pay, you have just a desk fan that does nothing to alieviate the stuffiness and heat.
We have struggled to sleep for the last 2 nights and have considered the car as an alternative bed tonight.

But the main issue is as its a Saturday night the hotel is as noisy and busy as a jury's inn. Drunk noisy groups of boys and girls playing music, on their balconies (cant have the doors or windows open to cool the room because of this) shouting and drinking, slamming doors and running up and down the corridors. All four surrounding rooms are filled with these types so there is really a snowballs hell in chance of sleep until 9am when they drift off and it's time for checkout.
Someone has come up once about it. But it made no difference. Do not come here on a weekend if you hope to sleep. I expect this in a town centre Jury's inn or trace lodge but not a Hilton.

Had plans to do a nice day trip tomorrow before heading home but am now too exhausted and will just get out of here as soon as possible to get home. If I could get a refund I would....seems a waste of money to pay for a hotel room where you are unable to sleep.
Other than that, the beds are comfortable and the staff friendly but I really have just frittered money away on an oven of a room surrounded by the town drunks.

Oh and parking is just an extra sting in the tail as the NCP parking opposite offer all day for £2.50

• Stayed: July 2013
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

I am sorry that you found our rooms too hot and for any discomfort that this caused. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I would also like to apologise for the fan not aiding with the temperature.

I am also sorry that you experienced noise from other guests and for the disturbance that this caused. The team will always deal with any noise complaints to the best of their ability.

Once again I am sorry that your stay was marred in such a way and I do hope that you will consider using the Hilton Sheffield in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

All staff were very friendly & welcoming, especially the staff on reception. The location is ideal, the town centre is only 10 mins walk. The leisure facilities are really good. Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff members friendly, location ideal and LivingWell very good.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

For 99% of the year this hotel would have received an 'excellent' 5/5 rating. It was unfortunate that we stayed in the hotel on the hottest nights of the year as the room was too hot to sleep well in due to the lack of airconditiong in the room. The hotel did provide desk fans in the room but these did little more than blow hot air around the room. Other little niggle is the overpriced food & wine at the restaurant. They are more in line with what I would expect in a Central/West London location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is unfortunate that our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I am sorry for any discomfort that that this caused.

I am also sorry that you found the cost of food and drink expensive; your comments have been taken on board.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.