“Let Down”

Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
girvan
“Let Down”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

You think "Hilton" you think quality, wrong, this was a second rate hotel which should have charged second rate ......rates! The room was small and pokey, the carpet was disgusting, the bathroom was grotty, needed re - sealing every where!
Yes the Breakfast was fabulous, so why let them selves down else ware, they had the floor up in the entrance when we went which caused havoc for a wheelchair customer, who couldn't get out, the adhesive they were using was left for several hours with the lid off so the whole place stunk to high heaven, i think that was the only reason the staff were smiling. We went out in to the city centre and the glue was still sat in the same place when we came back, so no exaggeration there truly! We had gone to see Nickle back & Dautry in concert the night before, and saw them leave the Hotel to go to the venue, how disappointing for them, as they were on the same level as us, and the room service staff couldn't stop giving details about them, so no privacy or hiding which room they were in then......i'm sure the Hotel promotes that?
I have stayed at several other Hilton hotels, this was the worst so far, try the cheaper option

Room Tip: No comment just go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in September 2012.

Your comment regarding the size of the bedroom has been taken on board and I am sorry that you found this too small. Cleanliness of the room however should be of a high standard and I am sorry that on this occasion this fell below your expectations ; your comments have been discussed with the Head Housekeeper.

I would also like to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the floor in our lobby area being varnished. I do understand that there may have been a strong smell from the varnish but I can assure you that at no point was the floor raised.

The confidentially of all our guests is paramount and we will never disclose guest information. Re training will take place with all staff members regarding the importance of this.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eversley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Visited Sheffield for a long weekend. Chose the Hilton based on their reputation and previous experience. Wished I'd gone for the Mercure or a Premier Inn.
First the good news - the car park and breakfast were excellent. Now the bad news. The room was dirty, uncomfortable and badly laid out. Bed was on one side of the room and the alarm clock on the other. No power points anywhere near the bedside tables so couldn't plug in my iPod. Ended up buying an extension lead. Chairs in the room were uncomfortable. It's also in the middle of an industrial area and a long way from the city centre so once you're there, there is nowhere to go. Restaurant was overpriced and very average.
Overall, I wouldn't give it more than a 3 out of 10.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

Firstly I was glad to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and your great feedback has been shared with the team.

I was disappointed to read however that you found the rest of your stay not as you had expected. I am sorry that the room was dirty and your comments have been addressed with the Head Housekeeper. Your comments regarding the alarm clock and layout of the room have also been taken on board.

The hotel is based just outside of the City Centre along the Victoria Quays Canal with a 10-15 minute walk into the City. I am sorry that you found our location unsuitable.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Did not stay at the hotel, but had a meal there (could not find The Quays restaurant on tripadvisor to review it so I'm just reviewing it under the hotel) one night with my boyfriend. We had a gourmet card that gave us a 50% discount on food and so we thought it was a pretty good deal. We didn't have very high expectations to begin with but we figured the food at a restaurant at a pretty reputable hotel should be decent. Unfortunately, it was ultimately disappointing. Nothing about dinner was acceptable. My salmon was so overcooked, it was shocking. My boyfriend's venison wellington was dry and tough, and the gravy was as good as the instant types you get from a supermarket. They also served him soured asparagus, which was absolutely unacceptable. Needless to say, we didn't bother looking at the dessert menu. Never returning ever again, even if the food was free.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

Your comments regarding your meal have been noticed and I can only apologise for the poor standard of food that you received. Your comments have been discussed with the Head Chef as this is not the standard we strive to achieve. I am sure that the staff members would have rectified this for you should they also have been made aware of any problems.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed here on valentines day for the night we had the 2nd floor with the balcony , the room was brilliant very clean and very modern , balcony was brilliant with the building across from us with the flashing lights had a nice cup of tea in the morning which topped it off , bed was comfy we slept fine , easy check in and out very fast , staff are very friendly and helpful , bath room was clean , me and my girlfriend are very pleased with it at a good price and brilliant service we are definitely staying here again soon just hope we get the balcony again :)

Room Tip: ask for a balcony was brillaint for a cuppa in the morning nice and relaxed
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is always such a pleasure to recieve such positive feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Sheffield.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

London
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in February for business. The Hotel staff were friendly and helpful on reception but the bar staff were bordering on rude. Room 304 was pleasant enough not particularly clean though with hair and and other dirt found in the bathroom. The beds were comfortable but the tempreture of the room was controlled by a tiny electric radiator in the room which made it very cold. The shower in the bathroom was bad with little or no water pressure. The price of food and drink was pretty much extortionate in comparison to outside restaurants and bars, a pint will set you back £4.20 or £5.20 for a small glass of wine. The gym was ok enough for some weight and cardio training at no extra charge. The spar was small and was crowded as it was open to the public.

On whole i would say it was a basic hotel which could easily be improved with some effort.

Room Tip: Room 304 was average
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to read that you found the hotel staff friendly apart from the bar staff members. I am sorry for any upset that they caused and please be assured that this is certainly not our usual level of service. Your feedback has been shared with the Bar Manager in order for him to speak to his team.

I would also like to apologise for the cleanliness issues that you experienced in the bedroom and your comments have been addressed with the Head Housekeeper.

I am sorry that overall you felt this stay was average however I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked for two night's to watch a football match and allocated room 558 overlooking the canal at the back.

The room was exactly as I expected and was very quiet, so a good nights sleep. The breakfast was fine, usual buffet style.

Had one evening meal, it was OK but nothing to write home about. The other night I went to Aagram's in the town centre, now that was a fabulous meal.

The only problem was there were 6 disabled parking spaces taken up by 4 bandits on the second night. They must have been one of the two parties as they had gone by erly morning .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a good night’s sleep at the Hilton Sheffield.

I am sorry however that the disabled car parking spaces were in use without a disabled badge. We will always monitor the car park situation closely and ask occupants of vehicles parked incorrectly to remove their vehicles as soon as possible.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here on a work trip, the main attraction was the gym which has lots of cardio and also a large swimming pool. A 10 minute walk to the city ideally located. The staff were friendly, helpful and the beds were comfortable. As always with the Hilton a good nights sleep and decent room service grub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Your great feedback regarding the location, gym, food and staff members have been shared with all departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.