“TICKED ALL THE BOXES” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Lytchett Matravers, England, United Kingdom
“TICKED ALL THE BOXES”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed one night on business - everything okay - room very clean and spacious - tv and shower easy to use (thank goodness) and bed a very ggod size.

Breakfast - extremely well organised and helpful efficient staff.

All round good experience and would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that you found the bedroom clean and efficient staff at breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My arrival was early, and understandably, my room wasn't available, so they stored my bag. On my return I was competently checked in by a cheerful receptionist. I was given a room which was equipped for a disabled person, which was perhaps slightly roomier than other rooms to allow for wheelchair access, but a bit disconcerting having 3 emergency pull cords hanging from the ceilings. It was a room on the fourth floor, at the end of a corridor, and overlooking the Quay. It was blissfully quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bed linen was high quality. Though it didn't spoil my stay, the carpet was badly stained, probably from coffee spills, and the many grab handles around the bath were showing signs of rust where they attach to the wall. Plenty of hot water for a bath, which unusually for a hotel, only took minutes to fill due to amazing water pressure.
I had dinner in the restaurant. The staff were great. Happy, friendly, efficient and very helpful. Scallops were superb. Perfectly lightly cooked. Amongst the best I have ever eaten. The braised ox cheek was very nice, though strange that there was no potato included on the plate. My individual pumpkin flan was low on filling and a bit 'commercial'. I did not require breakfast, nor use of the spa which insists is scored.
Check out was cheerful, and professional. I have stayed before, and I have already booked to return. For my needs, the location is perfect, and early on line booking makes it very good value for a city hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, November 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

From arrival, to the bedroom, to dining in the restaurant; I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all of these areas.

Your comments regarding the stains on the bedroom floor have been noted. This is not acceptable and I have instructed my Head Housekeeper to deep clean the carpet as soon as possible.

I was glad to see that you have already booked to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Room ok on 5th floor. Booked using Honor points so deluxe room.
Reception very helpful regarding best way to Arena to avoid traffic.Had bar snack prior to leaving for the show.Not brilliant but somewhat expensive as was the wine by glass.
Good location to take Supertram for the Arena. 10 minute walk to station and then 10 minutes by Supertram.
Overall ideal for our purpose .c

Room Tip: Avoid low floors as if function can be noisy
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield for your visit to the Sheffield Arena.

I was pleased to hear that the Reception team were helpful in giving you directions to the Arena, however, I am sorry that you found the bar snacks average and wine by the glass expensive. Both of which have been taken on board and passed onto the relevant department managers. We are now looking to introduce a discounted wine by the glass promotion.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Virginia Water, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Sheffield Hilton on many occasions and have always been made very welcome and have had a relaxing stay, this occasion was no exception. The highlights of this hotel are, to my mind, the staff, comfortable beds and pillows and the breakfast. The staff are unfailingly helpful and exceptionally friendly while maintaining a completely professional attitude. We stayed for two nights and from Emma's warm welcome on arrival to our check out nothing was too much trouble for the cheerful, friendly staff who always seem to be smiling - even the lady cleaning the toilets!!! Breakfast was up to the usual, excellent standard with eggs now cooked to order, which is an improvement on any other hotel chain we have stayed at, and delicious bacon and sausages. We also had an excellent dinner in the restaurant. I would not fail to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Sheffield.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

From the excellent staff members to the comfortable beds, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

first impressions of this hotel,were not good its not in a very nice area,but the reception area was lovely and the staff were very nice,we had booked a standard double,when we arrived at our room it was freezing,the heating had not been on,it took us two hours to get the room warm,we thought that we would leave it and go to the bar to get warm,the hilton has a beautiful bar area which again was freezing,they have revolving door that let the cold air in,we just could not get warm,we ordered food from the bar area,it was lovely and the staff really friendly.we went back to our room which still was'nt that warm,
I have never known such a cold hotel.we always look forward to our hilton breakfast,this was very
disappointing the food was dry and cold and not what I would expect from the hilton.I was pleased to be going home to get warm.
We were hoping to go back in december with our older children,but we think it will be to cold
and we would'nt want to be disappointed again.

Room Tip: ask for a room looking on to canal,as we had a view of a multi storey car park.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website and I am sorry that your first impressions of the hotel were not good due to the surrounding area. However once you entered the hotel you found the reception area nice and were welcomed by the reception team.

I would also like to apologise for the bedroom and bar area being cold. There is no reason for the bedroom taking so long to heat nor for the bar area to be cold after we have recently had new air conditioning / heating units replaced in the public areas. However in light of your comments I have now asked for all heaters to be checked. The main offices of the hotel are also located on the same floor as the bar area and I am therefore able to check the temperature personally on a regular basis.

The dry and cold food it also not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been shared with the Head Chef; thank you for your feedback.

I was glad to hear that you were planning on returning back to Sheffield in December and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

stayed 1 night, but used the meeting room facilities for training purposes which were ideal..My hotel room was very clean and spacious, however the tv did not work nor did it work for another member of our party.As I was only there for a night and was going out for a meal, did not bother to mention it to staff.No soap in your bathroom was another slight irration.High prices at the bar, a large glass of wine was £9.00!.I went for a little walk about but not a very nice area, would not want to try and walk into Sheffield city centre as as a taxi would be better, and only about £5

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that the television in your bedroom failed to work and also for the missing soap in the bathroom. Your comments regarding both items have been passed onto the relevant departmental managers and I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused. I understand that you did not report the television as you only stayed one night however we do ask guests to report any problems so we can ensure that they are fixed as soon as possible.

Your comments regarding the bar prices have been taken on board and I was delighted to read that you did find the meeting rooms ideal for your needs.

South West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Sheffield a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. As we walked in, we were checked in straight away and as we walked into our room, it was clean, tidy and well presented. The first night we decided to stay at the hotel and eat in the restaurant, and it was superb! The quality of the food was exquisite, the selection of food we had suited everyones needs and our waiter was friendly, regularly checked up on us for drinks, refilled our glasses and asked if we wanted anything else. I had a very good night sleep on a very comfortable mattress and quiet room. Overall this hotel was absolutely amazing! I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are a family of 3, such as a Mum & Dad and a teenage child, I would recommend the Double...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, October 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that this is one of the best hotels you have stayed in and you also found the Restaurant superb.

Your great feedback regarding the fantastic service that you also received has been noted and shared with all the departments involved.

Thank you for your great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.