“Another lovely stay”

Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“Another lovely stay”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Sheffield Hilton on many occasions and have always been made very welcome and have had a relaxing stay, this occasion was no exception. The highlights of this hotel are, to my mind, the staff, comfortable beds and pillows and the breakfast. The staff are unfailingly helpful and exceptionally friendly while maintaining a completely professional attitude. We stayed for two nights and from Emma's warm welcome on arrival to our check out nothing was too much trouble for the cheerful, friendly staff who always seem to be smiling - even the lady cleaning the toilets!!! Breakfast was up to the usual, excellent standard with eggs now cooked to order, which is an improvement on any other hotel chain we have stayed at, and delicious bacon and sausages. We also had an excellent dinner in the restaurant. I would not fail to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Sheffield.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

From the excellent staff members to the comfortable beds, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

first impressions of this hotel,were not good its not in a very nice area,but the reception area was lovely and the staff were very nice,we had booked a standard double,when we arrived at our room it was freezing,the heating had not been on,it took us two hours to get the room warm,we thought that we would leave it and go to the bar to get warm,the hilton has a beautiful bar area which again was freezing,they have revolving door that let the cold air in,we just could not get warm,we ordered food from the bar area,it was lovely and the staff really friendly.we went back to our room which still was'nt that warm,
I have never known such a cold hotel.we always look forward to our hilton breakfast,this was very
disappointing the food was dry and cold and not what I would expect from the hilton.I was pleased to be going home to get warm.
We were hoping to go back in december with our older children,but we think it will be to cold
and we would'nt want to be disappointed again.

Room Tip: ask for a room looking on to canal,as we had a view of a multi storey car park.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website and I am sorry that your first impressions of the hotel were not good due to the surrounding area. However once you entered the hotel you found the reception area nice and were welcomed by the reception team.

I would also like to apologise for the bedroom and bar area being cold. There is no reason for the bedroom taking so long to heat nor for the bar area to be cold after we have recently had new air conditioning / heating units replaced in the public areas. However in light of your comments I have now asked for all heaters to be checked. The main offices of the hotel are also located on the same floor as the bar area and I am therefore able to check the temperature personally on a regular basis.

The dry and cold food it also not reflective of our usual high standards and your comments have been shared with the Head Chef; thank you for your feedback.

I was glad to hear that you were planning on returning back to Sheffield in December and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

stayed 1 night, but used the meeting room facilities for training purposes which were ideal..My hotel room was very clean and spacious, however the tv did not work nor did it work for another member of our party.As I was only there for a night and was going out for a meal, did not bother to mention it to staff.No soap in your bathroom was another slight irration.High prices at the bar, a large glass of wine was £9.00!.I went for a little walk about but not a very nice area, would not want to try and walk into Sheffield city centre as as a taxi would be better, and only about £5

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that the television in your bedroom failed to work and also for the missing soap in the bathroom. Your comments regarding both items have been passed onto the relevant departmental managers and I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused. I understand that you did not report the television as you only stayed one night however we do ask guests to report any problems so we can ensure that they are fixed as soon as possible.

Your comments regarding the bar prices have been taken on board and I was delighted to read that you did find the meeting rooms ideal for your needs.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

South West
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Sheffield a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. As we walked in, we were checked in straight away and as we walked into our room, it was clean, tidy and well presented. The first night we decided to stay at the hotel and eat in the restaurant, and it was superb! The quality of the food was exquisite, the selection of food we had suited everyones needs and our waiter was friendly, regularly checked up on us for drinks, refilled our glasses and asked if we wanted anything else. I had a very good night sleep on a very comfortable mattress and quiet room. Overall this hotel was absolutely amazing! I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are a family of 3, such as a Mum & Dad and a teenage child, I would recommend the Double...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, October 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that this is one of the best hotels you have stayed in and you also found the Restaurant superb.

Your great feedback regarding the fantastic service that you also received has been noted and shared with all the departments involved.

Thank you for your great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

If you need to visit Sheffield and want to stay in a high class hotel for 3 star money, this is the one. I paid £67 for a double room which was large and well appointed. The service was excellent, the only average point was the breakfast, but it was edible and plentiful. The bar if your entertaining or having a quick drink before you set off out is expensive however, and I would expect a more luxurious and comfortable bar given the prices charged. Al in all however, I would stay there again without question.

• Stayed October 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the Hilton Sheffield excellent value for the price you paid. I was also pleased to read that you found the service excellent.

I was sorry to read that you found breakfast average and your comments regarding the bar prices have also been noted.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. It's on the quays with some lovely tranquil, canal views. I had a balcony room with seating outside which was lovely on an unseasonably warm October Sunday. We had a bargain rate too. Rooms are well appointed and more than ample room in bedroom and bathroom. Nice toiletries too.
Hotel bar did fab cocktails and the staff were all brilliant and friendly. Good pool area and breakfast too.
Really enjoyed it. Sheffield was a bit odd on a Sunday night but we had a good time. I'd go back here again on the rate we paid.
Keep up the good work and thanks to Josh on the bar!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Winnki
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website and it is such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I was glad to see that you enjoyed the Quayside location and had a great experience in The Quays Bar.

Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Room was priced as £129per night/ bnb. Internet deal for a sunday night (21oct) was £54 per room bnb ! Car parking £5per 24 hrs. We went there thinking we had struck gold. The hotel is wonderfull. Parking very good. Our room (217) had a balcony and with quay views. Value for money- exceptional. Breakfast in the morning is buffet style. Plenty to choose from and the staff were very polite and attentive. But like most good films sometimes theres a twist at the end that digs in yer ribs ! On checking in i was asked to provide a card to enable us to tab the bar/restaurant- this we declined explaining we would use cash. At 6am i went to the bathroom to have a cold glass o water only to find a piece o paper pushed under the door. To my amazement this was a bar bill to the sum of £10.60. Later i presented this to a young lady receptionist who said she would investigate this having found out from us that we had actually been in the bar the night before but had paid by cash as we had discussed. After breakfast we packed our bags and enroute to the car we tried to check out before leaving for home. I asked the same receptionist about the bar bill and she basically changed the subject and turned to the car parking charge which we had payed to Jonnie on arrival. I made the remark that its a good job they never ordered steak and champagne on our bill because that would have been very difficult to talk my way round that one- lol. Thoughts of leaving with all sorted soon turned sour when asked to pay for 2 breakfasts at £14.95 per person. Explaining to the young lady that breakfast was included in the room tariff- she asked me in a busy reception to prove it ! Meaning one of two things - or both ! One - she did not have that information at hand - and two - she thought we were lying/scamming free drinks and 2 full breakfasts. This i took exception to. Holding back my rage i was able to get my email account on my girlfrinds mobile which clearly showed our room deal incl breakfast. On showing the receptionist our proof of worth she muttered her way out of conversation avoiding eye contact and we parted forever ! This hotel has great facilities- pool, spa, rooms, bar but the front house needs a touch up. Reception knew i had paid the tariff prior arrival. So im kinda thinking that their desk screen should provide adequate information that would end our stay on a high as appose to us walking out that hotel like common thieves. We were disgusted and embarrassed to say the least. This will never happen again as we wont be back. To end i would like to add that 2x 330ml bottles o perroni in the bar came to £8.80 Bargain ! Once bitten . . . . . . . . . . .

Room Tip: Ask for Room 217 ! Awesome !!!
1 Thank TB16

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that items were added to your bill in error and for the upset and inconvenience that this caused. A full review of our system has taken place and the Front Office Manager has also spoken to his team regarding the way in which the situation was handled. An email has also been sent direct to you following your contact with Reservations.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy the bedroom and found the room excellent value for money. Your comments regarding the bar prices have also been taken on board.

Once again my sincere apologies for your stay being marred in such a way and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.