“not 4 star rutland experience”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #34 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed in this hotel August 2013 my friend and I both payed £70.00 per night each for single room occupancy , inc breakfast which was £10.00 each extra.
As we were working locally it was an ideal choice as we could walk to the work place .
I have never been to a hotel before that askes you to put your pin number in to the machine to ok a £200 pound overcharge incase of damages or bar usage,(by the way there is no bar in the room so I did not understand that bit!) I refused to ok this charge and had to pay the two bills in full in advance .
I was Surprised to see that there was no lift available and no help offered (I am 58 and had 2 large bags). with lots of stairs to climb.
The rooms are fitted out in seventies retro style , Bare red brick and dark wooden slatted walls, but unfortunatly this made the room overly dark and the lights were needed at all times,
On a Positive side the memory foam beds gave a great nights sleep if you dont mind a little noise from the road traffic .
Both our showers sprayed water all over the bathroom and with no adjustment on the shower head it was impossible to direct the water onto the correct place(me!!) ,My pet hate is something trying to be something it is not!, Maybe 2 star would be more fitting,
The rooms were dust ridden in between all the wood slatting on the walls and mine had a cable with bare wires exposed by the side of my bed. I have no idea as to what purpose this served.
Breakfast was good with a decent selection of cooked products and the lady that was serving us was very pleasant and helpfull. , but it was £10.00 extra so maybe you would expect it to be that way. Overall I would be happy to stay there again if the price was more fitting to a 2 or 3 star hotel and the rooms were freshened up , Poor show rutland and sort the Wi Fi out!..

Room Tip: If you stay here and need Wi Fi (as advertised , as for a room near reception . dont bother with upg...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel with my wife whilst visiting my corporate head office. First external impressions very poor. Rubbish all over the place and external decor poor. Receptionist very helpful. I paid for an upgrade and received a very tight Executive room. Bed comfortable but decor dark. Menu in room for restaurant was limited and we dined out. The bar area is very worn looking but staff excellent. Very limited choice of draft beers. Room very noisy at night due to being across from busy road.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our second long weekend stay at The Rutland, so we knew more or less what to expect and we chose to pay extra for an executive room (a bit larger than a standard room with some lounge style seating). This was a combined business trip (Hubby was on a course nearby) with some R&R for me.
Good points. Clean and comfortable rooms (rather warm but it was the start of the heat-wave), good food at breakfast (full English with tasty sausage and bacon plus a buffet with cereals, fruits, yoghourt and pastries), pleasant staff, restaurant food generally better than the menu suggests and, considering its position, the pleasant small garden. Walking distance to the botanical gardens and other parks nearby and handy for the city centre by bus or, if you don't mind a bit of a walk, on foot. While we were there, there was a wedding party and we overheard quite a few of the guests saying how nice it had been, including the food. The staff seemed to make an effort to ensure everything went well. The noise from the wedding didn't disturb us although we had gone out that night to eat elsewhere.
Not so good - mainly the details. Every time we ordered drinks at the bar and asked for ice, the lone barperson had to disappear for a few minutes to fetch it leaving the bar unattended. On another occasion we went into the bar for an early evening drink and, after waiting a few minutes with no staff to be seen, gave up. The menu on the website doesn't sell the restaurant - as well as the rather unexciting choices shown, there were also a few specials which were more interesting and, based on what we had, generally of a good standard (e.g. a really nice starter of scallops and black pudding served on a salad and a main of salmon steak with hollandaise sauce). Most of the desserts were rather heavy given the heat-wave, so we ordered fruit salad. Bearing in mind this was the final weekend of Wimbledon, I was hopeful this would include some strawberries and other summer fruits such as raspberries and peaches. What actually arrived was some chopped up non-descript apple, grapes and some tinned mandarins - so disappointing. Whilst the staff were all friendly, some of them seemed to lack a little direction. In the restaurant we ordered a large glass of wine and were given small and when the waitress accidentally spilled some water on our table she said "oh clumsy me", but then just left it. During service, the waiting staff were only in the dining room when serving and clearing and the now compulsory "Is everything alright with your food?" question. So if e.g. you wanted another drink, there was no-one to ask.
If the management picked up and improved on some of these details it would make for a much better guest experience.
Overall, the standard would be good enough for us to return on a similar occasion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2013

While the retro theme might appeal to some, it did not to me. I would not have minded so much if things in the room had worked to 2013 standards. However the 70s decor was matched with less than functional facilities - from the sink in the bathroom to the lights in the bedroom. So some might find it quirky; I found it poor

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We overnighted in one of the executive rooms and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, though I hasten to add, that in the middle of a heat-wave it would have been nice to have let a little extra fresh air into the room.
The room it self was splendid, plenty of space, very well equipped and a bed to die for, absolutely first class.
Breakfast the following morning was also a joy, and the staff, all friendly, simply put the icing on an extremely good value for money cake.
Thank you one and all, we'll without doubt return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Situated in a relatively quiet part of the city close to the university. Friendly staff, great breakfast. Rooms ok but difficult to get too. Air condition unit very noisy. Parking difficult due to small car park and very narrow parking slots!! Overall ok.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Firstly the good bits, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food apart from the breakfast.

That's all the good bits. The rest was pretty poor. The room was cramped, dark with poor lighting, the brick walls didn't help. The room was not particularly clean, there was someone else's hair grip on the floor. The bathroom was totally unacceptable for even a two star hotel. No toiletries apart from liquid soap screwed to the wall. The shower cubicle attempted to masquerade as a wet room, it was just a shower cubicle withut a curtain, and as for the WC, it's a good job I have recently lost weight because otherwise I would not have been able to sit on the toilet.

Very poor value for money, just about OK if you were staying for a function elsewhere but certainly not as a destination hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple