“Random rooms but friendly staff”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights when visiting my son at university and chose it for its location and car park.
I was given a room on the second floor in the main block of the hotel, which was smallish for a single room, but adequate for somewhere to put my head at night. The en-suite shower room was very nicely done and felt luxurious. Good wi-fi connection which was free and all the usual tea and coffee-making kit. The bed was comfortable and I slept well on both nights.
Having a room at the back of the main building meant that I had a superb view over the area, even if I could look down and see the bins, but they've got to be somewhere.
Staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful - I can't speak too highly of them. I'd booked B&B through laterooms.com and, although I didn't want breakfast on the first morning, I was able to "credit" it to the second one and my son joined me before we headed off on our travels.
A word about breakfast - single items of things like rashers of bacon for £10 isn't good value. The good news is there is a Wetherspoon's close by where you can get a better deal.
I used the bar as well and found very knowledgeable and interesting bar staff - one a local lad and one a student; picked up some good tips about real ale pubs in the area.
Cleanliness of the room was superficially good, but the horizontal wooden slats on the walls really do need to be dusted at least once a week.
Because the hotel is a collection of various old houses which have been converted and linked by spanning corridors, it is a bit of a maze and there are no consistent-sized room offers - which probably reflects the varied reviews it's received. You do need to be prepared to use winding staircases and change levels a few times.
Would I stay there again? Yes, but it will be interesting to see what like it is in a different part of the hotel. And it'll be room-only.

1  Thank Patthechooks
There are newer reviews for The Rutland Hotel

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to the Rutland.
The first time we stayed we had a lovely clean spacious room which was part of the reason we returned. Unfortunately this time we were put in a room that had a damp smell to it and was too small to be a double. The service wasn't great last time but was worse this time. Everything appears to be an effort for the staff and no one seems to be able to make a decision and heaven forbid you have a request!! In the end we didnt ask! We've stayed in cheaper hotels and had far better service.
On a plus the breakfast was great but not enough to make it 4* !!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lipgloss26
Reviewed May 18, 2012

have stayed here twice. Room 66 is particularly nice although there are steps down to the bathroom. loved the large open shower and the photo of the girl on the bed. the second time I stayed there it was room 26. it's a nice room as well but at the end of some very dingy corridors. Its like they did up some parts of the hotel but not all of it. Breakfast was an extra 10£ and there is alot to choose from but expensive if you just want cereal.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Had to stay here for a wedding, not out of choice. Would not ever choose to stay here again. I just didn't like the place or the food. The room was mediocre as was the cleanliness. I would prefer to forget that I ever stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ToBandBornotoBandB
Reviewed May 6, 2012

BEWARE: single rooms are very small! well appointed but not brilliant value for money

Room Tip: Don't get a single room
2  Thank customer709
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Stayed here due to a lot of hotels in the centre of Sheffield being fully booked, and for a place to stay after a night out.

We arrived a little earlier than check in time, but we all got checked in and given the keys straight away which was good, on entering our room it all looked quite nice and modern we booked a triple, but got a double with a Z-bed, which i wasnt informed of when booking. Spoke to reception and all the other triple rooms had been booked so couldnt move or do a lot else, which was a bit of a let down, as the Zbed mattress may aswell been non existent very uncomfortable! They dont have duvets at this hotel either, whats that about?! And the heater/ air conditioning unit is very noisy so take a jumper, or ask for a heater. On the plus side, when checking in i asked if we could extend our check out and the lady gave us till 12 comp, which was nice.

Apart from them huc cups, we all enjoyed our stay, staff are nice the boy in the bar the day we arrived was very polite and helpful in recommending places to go out that evening.
we had bar food for lunch, which was very nice quality and not to expensive considering it was a 4* hotel.

I would personally return again :)

Room Tip: Just ring or email in advance for any special requirements.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Booked due to the proximity to EFF where I was taking a course. Quite a nice hotel but there were some issues. The floor board are the world nosiest, you can’t put your foot down with a creaking, in the end you ended up walking as if you had stumbled into a mine field or had a bowl malfunction. Which ever way, short of levitation, you were going to make a hefty noise.

The room’s décor was reminiscent of a tarts bedroom. The cleanliness was of interest.
I noticed a hairgrip and toe nail on arrival that was still there on departure, indeed I grew quite fond of my companions and looked for them when I returned at the end of each days training. Fearing that they may have been cleaned away but each and every night my fears were never realised as I slowly opened the door to find them waiting to great me once more.

The shower was an experience too. On a raised Dias with no door it tended to flood into the main body of the bathroom. As the room had a list away from the shower towards the wall that separated it from the bedroom it tended to pool along the base of the wall.

One certain giveaway to the walls being out of true is the wood strips that are on most walls in the hotel. While they are correct and run true they look silly because of this as some end in space. The room was warm, maybe that is why the Silver fish liked it so much or was it the abundant supply of dead skin that had not been hoovered away.

The breakfast was expensive for what it is. Beware it is £10.00 whatever you have. If you have a full cooked English with toast preserves etc not bad but pity the poor soul who just wants a couple of Wheatabix or a bowl of sad looking Muesli.

The bar area was nice and the beer was nicer, bit expensive but it is a hotel after all. Would I stay there again ? Not too sure, load of places in Sheffield that must be better

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business