“Lovely Weekend Break”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights Fri/Sat as part of a Travelzoo/Great Little Breaks deal (incl 3 course meal for 2, free bottle of wine, full English breakfasts both mornings & tickets to Chatsworth House & Gardens), was also my Husband's 50th & as we had never visited the Peak District before, this was an ideal location to stay as only 20 mins drive to the National Park.
Freshly made cookie on arrival, nice welcoming touch, room was spotless, a good size and to the back overlooking the garden (& indoor pool area). Small fridge with complimentary bottles of water & extra milk). Had a lovely meal in the restaurant, I chose the Red Mullet as had never tried this before & was delicious. Breakfast buffet style, all well cooked (standard scrambled eggs on buffet, but if you want poached or fried just ask the staff & they will be cooked fresh & brought to your table) Also nice selection of cold meats & cheeses. If you are eating here in the evenings, I would recommend booking your table as we ate on the Friday night at 7.30 & it did get busy quickly.
Used the pool (small but adequate), also the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, did not use gym but looked well equipped. A nice way to relax & end the day after many hours of walking etc. staff were great & very attentive. I had secretly brought a birthday cake & bottle of champagne with me for Hubby's birthday & was provided with plates, knife, champagne flutes, bucket & ice at a moments notice. Thanks to all for making our weekend a very enjoyable one.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Becky D, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear kazzyo66,

I am so pleased that you and your husband had such an enjoyable weekend on our Chatsworth Break. Chatsworth house is beautiful and the gardens are simply stunning. I am glad you were able to unwind and relax in the leisure club after what will have been a long day of strolling through the extensive grounds.

I will certainly pass on your thanks to our food and beverage team, it will be a great source of motivation to them all.

I do hope we will be welcoming you both back again soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had an excellent stay a the Double Tree (3 weeks). The staff was friendly and helpful. They provided great suggestions for travel experiences, laundry facilities, and restraunts. And always with a smile. The workout facility is one of the best I have seen and the Spa is a nice bonus. The breakfast could use some small changes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Becky D, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Corey C,

I am thrilled that the staff looked after you so well during your extended stay with us. I am pleased to announce that we are approaching the final stages of a wifi install which will make it available in all guestrooms as well as the public areas.

Thank you for your review, I hope you will be returning as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here over night 2 adults and 2 children with connecting rooms. Both rooms were of excellent quality, spotless and comfortable. The Hotel staff were all very helpful and polite and the facilities of a very high standard. We did not eat in the hotel but the dinning room looked very smart and comfortable - we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mark588,

I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a great time. Our interconnecting rooms are always popular with our guests travelling with children, it is always nice to have some extra space!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass on your comments regarding the high levels of cleanliness to our Housekeeping team as it is always extremely motivating for all the team.

I hope we will be welcoming you all back in the near future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We used some honors points for a reward stay as a treat. But all in all we were disappointed. I think this hotel is a recent member of the Hilton chain and it wasn't to the standards we have seen elsewhere. Parts of the hotel need refurbishment.

The staff were all very nice and friendly and eager to assist but there were a number of minor issues. We still had a nice evening but it could've been much better.

We received cookie on arrival. Lovely touch and a lovely cookie! We are gold honors members so we received a letter welcoming us to the hotel. I asked if breakfast was included but we were told no. But we were told we could have a 3 course meal in the restaurant for just £20.

We reserved an upgrade in advance to a suite for £15 extra if avail. This wasn't even mentioned by reception. We were in a deluxe room as booked but it wasn't anything special.

Milk in a jug covered in cling in the fridge? Only one pack of biscuits in a double
Room. Odd. No booklet in the room with info about restaurant or ice or the health club etc? Strange. Dirty carpet which appeared to have dog hairs on it. Nasty. Slightly dusty furniture. Horrid drain type smell in room. Very strong smell but didn't seem to be coming from the bathroom. The hallway was very heavily fragranced and the room had a neutradol fragrance gel in the corner!?! Obviously a problem. It was an overpowering smell each time we walked back into the room. Not nice.

Positives in room: lovely bed and pillows. Very comfortable. Large flat screen tv. Nice furniture. Robes/slippers. Good bathroom. Hot water and good pressure for shower.

Went to restaurant to enquire what the £20 menu was. We were told that the chef was working on the menu at the time but that when it was complete someone would post a copy through to our room. Thoughtful.

Went back to reception and asked about breakfast again as we thought gold members received complimentary breakfast as it said so in the letter handed to us by the guy who said breakfast wasn't included! So they said yea breakfast was complimentary for our booking! About turn!

Went to use the health club gym and pool area. Very good but the changing rooms weren't very clean and the steam/sauna were very small. Jacuzzi nice and hot. Gym very well equipped.

Came back to our room and thought we should book a table. Called up and booked table.

Went down for the meal at 9pm. Were seated but then waited about 20mins for any service. Finally someone came to help us decipher the two menus and take drinks orders. We asked about the £20 menu only to be told it was an upgrade only that had to be done before 6pm at reception!!! So we has missed out and now would have to pay £22 for two courses or £25 for three. Why wasn't this mentioned at check in or when we went to enquire at restaurant or when we called to book!

So we chose a main each. And then we waited 30mins for that to arrive. I had to ask for water and we weren't offered any bread. I know we didn't get a starter but you would've thought we would get bread/water offered.

My roast beef came with some veg separate but no potatoes. So I had to ask where they were and they eventually arrived. Ordered dessert. Lack lustre cheesecake arrived.

The food was okay. Not bad but not amazing. Just okay. £50 for 1 roast beef. 1 burger n chips. 1 cheesecake. 1 pint lager. 1 glass rose. Pretty steep for a decidedly average meal.

Then we went to pay and asked for the meal to be put on our room but we were told that couldn't be done as we hasn't left a card (which we had!) and that facility wasn't avail. And the restaurants card machine wasn't working. So we had to walk to reception to pay on the same card we had had pre auth at check in! The next day i realised that this wasn't good as we receive honors points on spend on the room bill so I enquired at reception. They couldn't understand why there had been a mix up as I did have a card on account. But they have promised to manually add the spend so I get my points.

The rooms are noisy and you can hear other people snoring walking using bathroom etc!!! The doors slam very very loud as the door closures have been set hard. So we were quite disturbed. But this is part of the building and I can't see what they could do about it.

The hotel wasn't even that busy so I struggle to imagine what it would be like when fully booked. The toilets near reception were also quite dirty and not Been checked often enough.

Breakfast was nice and the sausages and fresh orange juice were really yummy. Plenty of choice as expected and a nice meal.

There were at least 5 dogs with owners staying at the hotel and that explained the hairy carpet in our room. Yak. We are not animal people so perhaps they should have rooms that they only allocate to pet owners.

So all in all it was an adequate stay but if I had paid for the experience I wouldn't have been happy. I should have complained more at each stage but its only as it started to catalogue did I get frustrated. This hotel is fairly close to home and I hoped I'd found a gem. But I haven't. And I wouldn't return.

Nice staff but its not quite slick enough for me.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank mandarodney

Dear mandarodney,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am sorry to hear about some of the issues you encountered during your stay, I will pass your comments on to the relevant managers to ensure these issues do not arise again.

As discussed at check out, I have personally manually added your points for your dinner bill to account. Whilst I can appreciate that this does not make up for the lapse in service and communication between our front desk and restaurant, I hope it will demonstrate that we actively listen and try to learn from our guest feedback.

In regards to the dogs in the hotel, we do offer a small number of pet friendly rooms and do ask our guests travelling with furry friends to ensure that dogs are kept on a lead when in and around the hotel grounds to cause minimal disruption to our other guests. I will certainly raise the issue of dog hair with our Housekeeping team as this is not acceptable and will require further investigation.

As one of our loyal Gold HHonors members, we offer 1000 bonus points, breakfast for you and one guest, along with a space available upgrade, every time you stay with us. Once again, I can only apologise that this was not explained clearly to you both upon check in. I have taken steps to address this need for further training with the trainee receptionist on duty in a bid to ensure this does not happen again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We always welcome guest feedback, good and bad, as it serves as an invaluable tool from which we can learn and improve.

I do hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your bank holiday.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This is our 2nd time of staying at this hotel. We needed a base whilst being in town to watch the snooker championship at the crucible theatre. The hotel is very clean and the facilities are of a high standard. We found all staff to be attentive and helpful. We particularly found 'Emily' on reception very helpful and informative. We'll certainly return again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear lovin-lindos,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay - I do hope that you had great time at the snooker.

It is great to see you gave us 5* for all areas, I will personally ensure that your kind comments are passed on to Emily on reception.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year, if not sooner!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Had a 2 night stay at the hotel as part of a deal from Great Little Breaks which was fantastic value for money. We paid ~£89 each for 2 nights B&B, dinner and a bottle of wine on the first night with tickets for Chatsworth! At that price we weren't expecting a top rate hotel but we were pleasantly proved to be wrong.

Staff were ver friendly and we were welcomed with a warm chocolate chip cookie! Our room was fine - very modern with everthing you would expect. I particularly like the fact that we had free chilled water in the mini bar and a free newspaper in the morning. Dinner was fine with a good selection from the set price menu with the option for the more expensive a la carte. Food was well presented and cooked by friendly staff. The only downside was that the restaurant lacked atmosphere but then that is true of a lot of hotels these days. Breakfast was good with a wide range of foods including freshly cooked eggs.

We used the leisure facilities and very much appreciated the pool and the sauna after a couple of long days out sightseeing. The only downside was that the changing area was tiny and there was no private cubicles for changing - this entailed me changing in the toilet after I had come out of the pool. However apart from that, I was very impressed with the facilities and the level of cleanliness.

The hotel is very convenient for the Peak District National Park which is literally a couple of minutes away and is very handy for Chesterfield, Bakewell and other local towns.

We had not been to the Peak District before and were blown away with the beauty of the place. We will definitely visit again and would be more than happy to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were given one at the end of the building - Room 222 - recommended
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear redsue137,

Thank you for your review of your Chatsworth Break - it is a fantastic value package, I am so glad that you had a great stay.

We are really fortunate to be so close to the Peak District and its bountiful areas of outstanding beauty and it is great to hear that your first experience of the Peaks was so enjoyable.

Following on from the success of our popular Chatsworth Break, we have recently teamed up with Haddon Hall to offer another fabulous value mini break - I thoroughly recommend it for your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you both back with a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie in the near future!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

For our one night stay we requested a quiet room at the back of the hotel.It was indeed quiet with a pleasant outlook over gardens and a very comfortable bed.Staff were friendly and (mostly) helpful and on arrival we had a late lunch consisting of two excellent value for money sandwiches served in the bar. We were impressed with the high standard of decor and cleanliness throughout the hotel.
Our bedroom was over-warm and there was a problem adjusting the thermostat on the air conditioning.We had to leave the window open to try and cool the room down.The receptionist we spoke to said there was nothing she could do about it ! Not very helpful.
A typical Hilton chain hotel,and good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear R0ssHill,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am glad to read that you found the room to be of a high standard, good value, quiet, clean and comfortable.

I will ensure that the issue with the air conditioning is passed on to our maintenance team to ensure that it has been fully rectified, and I will certainly address the need for training with out front office team members.