“afternoon tea”

GreenLeadersBronze level
sheffield
“afternoon tea”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

my daughter and i spent a couple of very enjoyable hours having afternoon tea here . nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were polite ,professional ,attentive and friendly. the food was faultless . we will return here again .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank maggie54Sheffield
Novotel Sheffie... C, Meeting & Events Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear maggie54sheffield,

Thank you for taking the time to review our afternoon tea.

I am pleased to read that you and your daugher had a very enjoyable experience but particulary highlighting staff and the food.

We would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Clare Malloy
Meeting & Events Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This was my third stay at Sheffield’s Novotel (have just returned, but also stayed in 2011 and 2007). It is not just the best place to stay in Sheffield but also a hotel experience I have not bettered elsewhere. Room spotless and very comfortable. Location perfect and central, a stone’s throw from Sheffield Theatres. On all of my experiences, despite being in the heart of the city, totally undisturbed night’s sleep—total blackout from the curtains and complete quiet from double glazing. Have never replicated such a good hotel experience. Was offered the purchase of breakfast on arrival (£8.95 instead of usual £13.95): I took it, and it was entirely worth it—immense choice, didn’t need to eat for the rest of the day! Throughout my visit, staff were unfailingly helpful and courteous. I love this place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank bartimaeus
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear bartimaeus,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you found the Novotel Sheffield Centre such a nice place to stay.

I only hope you don't wait another 3 to 4 years before coming to visit again.

Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed at the Novatel in Sheffield for one night on business this week. Pleasantly surprised as the last time I stayed there (many years ago) it was not that good. Very bright, clean and inviting. Reception staff were very polite and helpful. Rooms were a good size and very clean. Good choice for breakfast, although bacon was a bit overcooked and dry. Car parking is available at £12 per night and an ideal location for the centre of Sheffield with a choice of restaurants and pubs etc. close by.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear ukc802875219,

It's a pleasure to welcome you back to the Novotel Sheffield Centre.

Thank you for the review, I am glad that you had a nice experience with us.

I look forward to your return.

London, UK
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Drab room in a drab building which needs an overhaul; functional, basic but spacious. No problems with cleanliness but in general the whole novotel thing needs a rethink as it's beginning to look like very dated design. I wasn't uncomfortable. The highlight of my stay was the catering which was generally very good - well prepared, generous portions, tasty breakfast. Nice staff. Well placed for exploring the centre of Sheffield and a very easy, short walk from the railway station

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear MajorVoid,

Thank you for your comments. Shame to read that you did not enjoy our hotel. If you would like to discuss your comments further, please contact me on 01142781781 or h1348-gm@accor.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at the Novotel for a conference ... the location is great, just a few minutes walk from the train station and the normal conference venues. But the 1980s spat this hotel up. I stayed in a standard double room ... cleaning left a little to be desired with marks and sticky patches not cleaned up properly, there was wood chip everywhere, separate toilet was like a prison, mini fridge had water for £2.50 a bottle (total rip off!) and overall the room was very shabby, obviously not renewed or refurbished for at least 10 years - there was a crack in the room which had been filled but the filler was white and the wall was cream (or discoloured white) and the room thermostat was damaged and looked like it was about to fall off the wall! (see photo) And no aircon, just a window permanently open.
Bed sheets were clean and fresh, but the headboard design is terrible, meaning the pillows start to fall between mattress and headboard which makes sleep uncomfortable, and the valance was gross.

The lobby bar and restaurant were modern, reception staff very friendly. Pool is clean and warm and was nice to swim even if the windows onto the pool are on ground level to the street so everyone can see you as you get out.
Staff at breakfast weren't as good as reception, seating me at a table then as I get buffet breakfast seat another party at my table meaning I have to find somewhere else to sit, with their English not being strong so not understanding my request for cutlery very well.

I expect more from Novotel, and I would not stay at this hotel again - go to the Mercure round the corner, same group owning them as Novotel but much nicer, pay the little bit extra! I will. Very disappointed for the money it cost me.

Room Tip: Room 428 is shabby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Coxy773,

Thank you for posting your thoughts and I am sorry the hotel was not to your liking. It is not a brand new build; we opened in the 90s and have had refurbishments since then. With all other things in the hotel, we advertise the cost of the water so guests can choose to either purchase or not.

The mix up with your table at breakfast should not have happened and I hope the team found a solution; I also trust this did not happen on both mornings you were with us. I must say that all the staff can converse in English and will definitely know what a request for cutlery is.

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us but I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Twyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We booked the room a year in advance to see the Tour De France. We treated our selves to a suite which is very nice, we asked for a quiet room and were given 518, lovely and quiet. the room was very nice, with a super king bed, separate bathroom and toilet and sitting room.
The location of the hotel was brilliant, right in the centre of town. Near the train station, shops, bars etc. parking out front.
Would definitely stay at this hotel again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Didn't use the pool or gym and didn't have breakfast at £14 each , I consider it too expensi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lita H
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Lita H,

I'm delighted to read that you had found the hotel convienient to see the Tour de France. Also glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Just a note, you can usually get breakfast cheaper if booked in advance.

general Manager