“Mixed experience”

Novotel Sheffield Centre
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed here last weekend and had a mixed experience, very good location, comfy bed and excellent service, but had difficulty plugging in the kettle (as the plug socket was located between a shelf and the mini fridge) also had difficulty with the flush on the toilet. Would recommend getting a room away from the road as it can get noisy but I can be a light sleeper so that may not worry some. I will be returning again for business later in the year and will stay again but will make sure I shop around to get the best price possible. Overall not too bad but not the best place I have stayed.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sue J
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Sue J,

Thank you for staying at the Novotel Sheffield Centre. Glad you enjoyed your stay and please accept my apologies that there were difficulties with the kettle. They are directly connected to a power supply without a plug and this is why the cables are hidden away. Nice to see you will be returning and I look forward to welcoming you back.

K Ikulayo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Would just like to say myself and three friends came for afternoon cream tea lunch today , it was lovely. The lady who looked after us was called Sharon.very helpful and lovely. It was our friends birthday and she made us feel special. Very nice, very plentiful , very helpful. Will definately be coming back with more friends . We went on a deal monster offer and got a glass of pressecco each included . Hope you do offer again thankyou for a lovely afternoon x

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Novotel Sheffie... C, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear andcondeb,

Really pleased you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea at the Novotel Sheffield Centre. I will pass on your feedback to Sharon and the team.

Hope we can welcome you back again and please contact Clare on h1348-sb@accor.com if you would like to return.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Room wasn't ready until 3:30pm although check in was supposed to be 2pm.
We're told there was no way we could fit 3 people into a disabled room and had to have a room for me and a room for my children. When in fact the disabled room had table and chairs in it where there could of been a sofa bed like the one in the girls room.
The room wasn't big enough for me to have my wheelchair fully assembled so had to take leg off and my leg supports.
Was told the bathroom was a wet room, it wasn't, couldn't wheel myself next to the actual shower because there was a glass screen there. Had to have my daughter wash me, as we were there for a competition it really wasn't fair on her.
The mini fridge wasn't working so stank, the other room we had for the girls had a missing light bulb and loose connection where you put room card to get electricity.
One lift was out of order from Saturday afternoon until we checked out Sunday afternoon.
Price for car parking was ridiculous. The car park is the hotels own property so charging £12 a day (not a night) is very unfair. Although this was wavered when I discussed all my problems with hotel manager.
I was assured that none of mine or my children's things would be touched before we got back to the hotel for our late checkout. It had all been touched, including my medication, which I had now found has some missing, these are my opiate based medication for my broken back pain. This was along with £10 that was in my medication bag, I didn't even think to look through it as we just wanted to get out of the hotel and into the one we had booked for that evening.
We only had breakfast one morning because it wasn't impressive at all. Even though the children ate for free. We had to find someone to ask to get hot drinks and weren't able to just help ourselves, the bread for toast was thin and felt stale. The only difference between this hotel and an Ibis Budget from the same company is that this has a swimming pool. On everything else the budget is a better hotel. Definitely would never stay here again even though I got a refund for the 2nd room that we we're mislead into getting.

Room Tip: My only advice would be to phone the hotel and ask what exactly is in the room you are having and wh...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Pink7616,

Thank you for your feedback. As with our other correspondence to you, I would like to confirm that we did check you into one of your rooms by 2pm and the reason why the other one was later was because you needed specific room types (connecting, accessible). The reason why things were touched in your room was because you had initailly asked for a late check-out in which case there was no need to go to your room, however you had later asked to stay the night, in this case we had to clean the room for you. I hope you eventually found your medication and £10, as my team do not remove personal belongings from the room. Our car parking is £12 per day which means you can park on arrival and leave at any time on your departure date. This is not more expensive than £12 per night.
Again, I am sorry you have not enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have family that live in Sheffield so we often visit. We've stayed quite a few times in the Mercure, St. Paul's Place but thought this time we'd try the Novotel instead. The Novotel is bright, modern and clean. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly. Our room was a standard double with a large comfy bed, there was also a double sofa bed in the room too. It was the Grand National on the day we arrived and the Sheffield Half Marathon the day after. When the Grand National started, there were lots of people including family groups with small children in the lounge and bar area watching it on the television. The atmosphere was really good, that was until some of us spotted a naked man. He was in a room to the right of where we were sitting and the door was wide open and everyone could see him. I immediately went to investigate what on earth was going on and to ask who ever was in the room to shut the door. It turned out to be a group of women taking part in a nude art class, a regular event at the hotel, the man was the nude model. The door was wedged open, it was so they could all get drinks from the bar. To say that we saw more than we bargained for is an understatement! I did report it to reception. I just hope that in the future, to avoid embarrassment, the nude art class is put in a room well away from the hotel's main bar and lounge.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear LiptrottBrooke,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about our meeting room, which we have since addressed.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Recently stayed for my other halfs birthday booked online and got a really good rate. Room upgrade for £10 still made it a good deal. Staff were friendly and looked after us very well. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear royjack,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Sheffield Centre and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Only stayed one night - but many positives about the Novotel. Location is excellent, staff very helpful, rooms a good size and breakfast very good. The one thing that let it down was a separate toilet, with no basin.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Martin C,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We would never stay in this hotel again! It was shocking, we stayed because we went to see a concert & it was booked as a surprise from our daughter. The bed was like a camp bed, there were metal pipes sticking out from under wash basin(dangerous), there was more water running from the back of the shower than out of the shower head & the tiles in the shower were filthy. The toilet wasn't screwed to the floor it moved when you sat on it(dangerous) & to top this off we opened the curtains & the walls were full of green mould! The only good thing about this hotel is the bar & reception staff are very friendly. We complained when we checked out & received a phone call 2 days later to check what our complaint was about after telling them everything we were told it would be passed on to the manager & they would call us back we are still waiting & it's been 7 weeks since our stay..... Not happy

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula H
Iain B, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2017

Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention

Regards