“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Fantastic location. Great rooms. Really good value for money. Staff were a bit dull. All in all I'd recommend it. It is a shame that there is no free parking available. That would have made my stay even better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. I was surprised to read your comments regarding my team. Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me on 01142 781 781
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for work and was pleased to see it was a short walk from the train station. The staff were all polite and accommodating - felt if you needed help with anything they'd be happy to assist. The room and hotel seemed spotless and the bed and sofa were very comfortable.

I couldn't work out how to turn the lights on for a while but maybe that's just my hotel inexperience. There was a thing to plug your mp3 player into the TV so you could play music through the speakers but I couldn't get that to work. Not sure if it was because I had an iphone.

Liked the fact that the TV speakers also played into the shower room even though I didn't really use this! Next time I would ask for a better view as all I could see was rooftops. The worst thing was the heat at night - I thought I'd turned the air conditioning as cold as it would go but I woke up sweating. Not nice! (And not great when you are tired and in need of sleep!)

I like the fact that the hotel chain appears to be attempting to help the environment with eco symbols to show their shampoo and shower gel was 'green' and signs to encourage re-using towels.

I also made use of the swimming pool and steam room which were an added bonus. You have to get a key from reception to use the pool which is relatively small so if you want a proper swim don't use when it's busy but I appreciated it being available. It was quiet when I used it so almost like having your own private pool.

The location is excellent for the city centre and I'd recommend having a wander round. It's very close to Sheffield Hallam University and the main theatres/entertainment venues. It was a shame I didn't have more time to visit the galleries and museums. The Winter Garden is right next door - must admit I was expecting something Kew Gardens sized and this is a pocket-sized version! Very nice though and clearly a popular place to go. It was a shame there were so many slightly intimidating modern blocks as the old buildings made for a nice city.

Would happily recommend and will use again should I need to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were more than happy with our stay at the Novotel - the room was comfortable, well furnished, and the facilities were excellent. There were even little touches for families, such as the family fun box in the foyer, where the children found lots to keep them entertained. I would definitely recommend this hotel for families, and will return in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Wirral
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very nice hotel, stayed for 2 nights but, both nights we were rudely woken by drunken residents during the night by the same people for the 2 nights. Phoned reception on first occasion and night porter came up to resolve issue but on second night I opened my door to politely ask them to keep the noise down only for them to reply using the most fowl and abusive language I have ever heard and even more suprising was that it was 2 females in their early 20's !!!!! I contacted reception again and porter came up and spoke to noisy couple and after 5 peaceful minutes they decided to stand outside my door and started shouting and swearing at me for contacting reception. Why they weren't evicted from the hotel is anyones guess but it will take something special to get me to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on [01142 781 781 to discuss this further. Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

If I knew this is how it's going to be I would certainly gone somewhere else, because nothing that would make this hotel a 4 stars, at best would rate it a 2 stars.
First room was given, I found the carpet filthy like some repaired his car in that room as there where some sort of marks which looks like an oil or something.
Very odd thing I found in this hotel which I can't comprehend and didn't see such a thing in a hotel at this level, the toilet was separate to the bathroom??
I was upgraded to a executive room which is nothing different apart from a coffee machine and a iPod dock which no one would be interested in such a thing in a hotel.
If anyone would like to stay in a hotel and doesn't mind a bit of distance, go to Capthorne as it's well worth the money compare to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781 to discuss this further. Kind regards,
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

When I booked the hotel, I put a note to staff members not to disclose the price of the room, as it was a surprise for my lady. When checked in, we were greeted by a friendly (female) staff member. We were a little taken aback as rooms were still being cleaned at 2pm, when we checked in.

When we got to the room, we were a bit shocked that they hadn't supplied us with any toothpaste which is surprising for a 4* hotel. When I called down to reception to enquire about this, the male staff member I spoke to was seemed very dismissive and told me they don't normally have any but that he would check in the back and get back to me. We waited patiently for 10 minutes until the staff member decided to ring us back, he informed us "We haven't got any but there's a Sainsbury's next door".

The door to the room itself was a little concerning as it did not shut easily and had to be slammed with some force, which not only made some noise for other guests, but the door frame itself looked as if it could detach from the wall. I extremely nerved to find that after locking the door last night (2am), it was already unlocked this morning when we awoke (10am). We also tried calling down to reception to see if we could extend our stay, possibly in another room, but there was no answer. We did try calling them seven different times. Because they didn't answer, I went down to reception (11am) to see if anyone was available or if they were busy with check out guests to deal with my request; but was disgusted to find 3 members of staff stood at reception, but only 1 was busy serving.

Whilst packing, my lady dropped something on the floor, and it rolled under the bed, when she went to retrieve it, she was greeted by the sight of litter and dust that clearly had collected over time.

Upon checking out, the staff member disregarded the note I had left when making the reservation and stated the price of the room, then realised his mistake as he then asked if our stay was to celebrate a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary and asked what we did the previous night.

This was our first stay in Novotel, and I had high expectations for it, the room looked lovely on arrival, but it soon became apparent that staff members did not offer the same standard of service once we had checked in. I made my reservation through a discount website, but would not pay that price to stay here again. We stayed in 318.

p.s...the walls are paper thin, I heard the guest next door using the toilet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781to discuss this further. Kind regards,
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Lovely hotel in great, central location. Rooms beautifully clean and confortable. Was there for 2 nights. Would use again. Staff friendly. Nice bar area to relax. Parking area a little small but was able to get a space throughout our stay. Pool was closed while we were there due to maintenance work so unable to comment but looked nice enough, although a little small.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards,