“No Sleep !!!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wirral
“No Sleep !!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very nice hotel, stayed for 2 nights but, both nights we were rudely woken by drunken residents during the night by the same people for the 2 nights. Phoned reception on first occasion and night porter came up to resolve issue but on second night I opened my door to politely ask them to keep the noise down only for them to reply using the most fowl and abusive language I have ever heard and even more suprising was that it was 2 females in their early 20's !!!!! I contacted reception again and porter came up and spoke to noisy couple and after 5 peaceful minutes they decided to stand outside my door and started shouting and swearing at me for contacting reception. Why they weren't evicted from the hotel is anyones guess but it will take something special to get me to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on [01142 781 781 to discuss this further. Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

If I knew this is how it's going to be I would certainly gone somewhere else, because nothing that would make this hotel a 4 stars, at best would rate it a 2 stars.
First room was given, I found the carpet filthy like some repaired his car in that room as there where some sort of marks which looks like an oil or something.
Very odd thing I found in this hotel which I can't comprehend and didn't see such a thing in a hotel at this level, the toilet was separate to the bathroom??
I was upgraded to a executive room which is nothing different apart from a coffee machine and a iPod dock which no one would be interested in such a thing in a hotel.
If anyone would like to stay in a hotel and doesn't mind a bit of distance, go to Capthorne as it's well worth the money compare to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781 to discuss this further. Kind regards,
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

When I booked the hotel, I put a note to staff members not to disclose the price of the room, as it was a surprise for my lady. When checked in, we were greeted by a friendly (female) staff member. We were a little taken aback as rooms were still being cleaned at 2pm, when we checked in.

When we got to the room, we were a bit shocked that they hadn't supplied us with any toothpaste which is surprising for a 4* hotel. When I called down to reception to enquire about this, the male staff member I spoke to was seemed very dismissive and told me they don't normally have any but that he would check in the back and get back to me. We waited patiently for 10 minutes until the staff member decided to ring us back, he informed us "We haven't got any but there's a Sainsbury's next door".

The door to the room itself was a little concerning as it did not shut easily and had to be slammed with some force, which not only made some noise for other guests, but the door frame itself looked as if it could detach from the wall. I extremely nerved to find that after locking the door last night (2am), it was already unlocked this morning when we awoke (10am). We also tried calling down to reception to see if we could extend our stay, possibly in another room, but there was no answer. We did try calling them seven different times. Because they didn't answer, I went down to reception (11am) to see if anyone was available or if they were busy with check out guests to deal with my request; but was disgusted to find 3 members of staff stood at reception, but only 1 was busy serving.

Whilst packing, my lady dropped something on the floor, and it rolled under the bed, when she went to retrieve it, she was greeted by the sight of litter and dust that clearly had collected over time.

Upon checking out, the staff member disregarded the note I had left when making the reservation and stated the price of the room, then realised his mistake as he then asked if our stay was to celebrate a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary and asked what we did the previous night.

This was our first stay in Novotel, and I had high expectations for it, the room looked lovely on arrival, but it soon became apparent that staff members did not offer the same standard of service once we had checked in. I made my reservation through a discount website, but would not pay that price to stay here again. We stayed in 318.

p.s...the walls are paper thin, I heard the guest next door using the toilet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781to discuss this further. Kind regards,
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Lovely hotel in great, central location. Rooms beautifully clean and confortable. Was there for 2 nights. Would use again. Staff friendly. Nice bar area to relax. Parking area a little small but was able to get a space throughout our stay. Pool was closed while we were there due to maintenance work so unable to comment but looked nice enough, although a little small.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards,
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a surprise. Was booked in by my university hosts and wasn't expecting much. But so easy to find (visible from the train station) and a remarkably good restaurant. Very professional and helpful maître d' and other staff, lovely food. Well above the usual hotel standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and in particular the Restaurant. I have shared your comments with my Food & Bverage team and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The Novotel was very central and easily signposted. There is ample car parking at a cost of £10 per 24 hours (quite reasonable for a city centre) rooms were clean although a little basic. Walls were like paper thou I could hear next doors tv as clearly as my own! Overall ample for a short stay and very reasonable for the location.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The trip was generally good. It did not really exceed my expectations. Although the entrance way appeared quite fancy and was a very good first impression the room was a little of a dissapointment. It was a three person room and was quite small. Although the bathroom facilities were excellent the second bed was not worth 4*. The bed was comfy however the bed cover was a tatty blue one that although was warm looked a bit worse for wear. There was also a very obvious stay on the carpet. Being students we were not fussy and did not complain but it did not live up to our 4* expectations and only staying for one night meant that we did not have the chance to use the gymn and swimming pool facilities. We got the room through another website that had an offer and so got the room for three people for only £89, however we could have got a cheaper room somewhere else that would have been the same standard so this was dissapointing (we chose a more expensive hotel as a treat and it turned out rather average). I would definitely not pay full price to stay here again.

The hotel was rather average and although nothing was poor quality, the rooms did not have that 4* feel other hotels have. I think our room was very over priced as the quality was average, there was a stain on the floor and was rather small. It was dissapointing to know we could have got a similar cheaper room elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Sheffield. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments, which we are in the process of addressing.
Kind regards,