“Grubby, run down and need of a complete refurbishment”

Novotel Sheffield Centre
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
“Grubby, run down and need of a complete refurbishment”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while on a business trip and needed to be able to conduct video conferences from my room. So, I book an "Executive Room" as that was supposed to have better facilities for working. When I first got to the room, late on the 1st night, I was disappointed to see how grubby and tired it looked with very obvious stains on the carpet, curtains, throw cushions, and walls. I tried to watch some TV in the only to find that their "In-Room Entertainment" system only offers an odd sub-set of Freeview channels rather than the full set and that half the channels it did offer had picture but no sound and several others had neither picture nor sound. I then tried to listen to the radio, but you can only choose from BBC Radio 1, 2, 4, or 5 Live which is pretty useless. So I gave up. The room was very stuff so despite the cold weather I had to sleep with the window open, but otherwise sleeping was fine.

In the morning I tried to turn the TV back on to sign-up for the broadband package I needed for my work, it refused to turn on. I called reception and they were reluctant to send anyone up as they were busy with breakfast, but I had to be online by 9am. Eventual one person came and couldn't sort the problem, then another person arrived and had no better luck. They then decided to let me use another room temporarily to work from and I was able to set up in there, in all it took about an hour for me to finally get online.

The B&B I stayed in the night before arriving at the Novotel offered a simple TV with the complete Freeview selection of TV channels and Radio stations, and it also offered free high speed Wi-Fi to all guests - why hotels continue to offer less service for more money then an average B&B I cannot understand

They clearly don't trust their guests as the iron in the room is secured to the ironing board in a large holder that takes up most of the space at the wide end, this also makes it very difficult to actually carry and set-up the board and makes doing the ironing much more difficult than it needs to be. I have never before come across this in all the hotels I have stayed in.

I expect to be visiting Sheffield regularly over the next few months but I will not be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pudkin
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 01142 781 781.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Norwich
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have used this hotel 3 times now & it has never failed to satisfy. Excellent location if you want to be in the centre of Sheffield, perfect for gigs at the Town Hall. As always the showers leak, they look & work great but Accor just can't get them sealed!! As I'm tight I feel they could be cheaper & I don't like the fact you have to pay to park your car. Overall I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Sheffield Centre. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the bathroom and car park which we have since addressed.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend. Staff were friendly, location great and had bonus of carpark.
Had to be changed from first room as the bed was slanted and cushions/bedding stained, this was no problem.
However, the second room had a window which did not open and had no air-con. This meant it was extrememly stuffy. Staff could not resolve window issue, but upon my request provided a fan for the room. Unfortunately the noise from the fan meant we had very little sleep and actually spoilt our trip away.
Pool and changing facilities were VERY small and there was some confusion as to whether the sauna was working! ( several guests could not get it to work)
Breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Check the window opens!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
"Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Sheffield Centre. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the bedroom accommodation which we are in the process of addressing. Kind regards,
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our second stay here. The location is fantastic as it is located just by the Peace Gardens in the centre of the City. The Hotel has a small but usable swimming pool which kept the children amused, it also has a steam room and gym. The breakfast is superb value and the rooms are very comfy. By booking in advance we got a super deal. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Sheffield is a lovely city and we are very much looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards,
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Recently stayed in the Novotel for a weekend away in Sheffield and to watch a show at the Crucible theatre. What can I say? It was excellent, having stayed in the past I knew what to expect and despite it being very busy the whole time we were here this time, the staff were great and attentive even though they were clearly busy and being mobbed by everyone in the reception area. They still remember my name from last time we stay, which was really nice given I haven't stay in over 6 months!
We had a few drinks in the bar before dinner and we found the bar very relaxing and had a laid back feel rather than the 'stuck-up' bars you usually get in 4* hotels so it was a great change. Breakfast both mornings was fairly busy but on both occasions we were not rushed and thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast.
All in all, I will definitely be back! Looking forward to it already.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Sheffield Centre.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards,
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Over night stay. Hotel is one of the few in city with parking which was main reason for choice. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was excellent.

The room its self was adequate. I had an executive suite. The room was on a corner over looking the square and was quiet. The decor was very dull and dingy and the carpet was stained in places. The bed was very firm but not supportive in the right places. The bathroom was clean enough but a little tired.

Fine for a business trip but for anything else and you'd probably be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Sheffield. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed by the level of customer service you received. I have noted your comments about the accommodation decor, which we are in the process of addressing.
Quorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed one night and booked the hotel as it was close to the City Hall where we had an event. When checking in I had booked for March not February, this was not a problem for the staff who simply moved my booking. Nothing was too much trouble.
I had booked an executive room which was slightly bigger than the standard room and came with extras such as Bose docking station, Nespresso coffee machine and a morning newspaper.
The bar area was clean.
Breakfast was lovely, with freshly cooked food, cereal, fruit and pastries.
An ideal hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Consider booking an executive room for a few little extras.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards,