“ok hotel”

Novotel Sheffield Centre
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here whilst I was attending a conference. Very good location, right in the heart of the city centre. Staff quite friendly and helpful. The rooms were big and spacious, but was a little dusty, the cushions had some stains on it as well. There was a half eaten mars bar in my fridge when I arrived also. Breakfast was good. You had to pay for the wifi so I didn't bother. Im not sure whether I would stay here again, possible but I would look for other hotels in the area as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Many thanks for your kind review. I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the hotel to discuss your stay.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 10, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have tried to speak to the manager about the problems incountered, I have sent an email, called the hotel to make sure she had recieved the email and left a message but it seems the hotel couldn't care less about my horrible experience so I thought I'd share my story.
I stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve for one night. Arrival and check in went smoothly and at first glance I was happy with the room that we had paid for, however after
this things turned from bad to worse.
Firstly the heating in the room wasn't working so it was very cold and as a replacement was given a small electrical heater. Secondly when I asked to use the pool was told that I was unable to as I wasn't an eligible guest. I then had to argue that this wasn't the case.
Thirdly whilst making a hot drink all the electricity went off and a member of staff informed us that it was the wiring in our room and so we couldn't make a hot drink at all. We were told to phone reception and any hot drink would be sent up for us, which is was, but then on
check out was told that we had to pay for it as it was room service!!
Needless to say I did not pay!
The plumbing in the toilet must not have been very efficient as it constantly smelt and finally, just to top everything off the bed appeared to be broken as when you sat on it, it made a large bang. I considered discussing these problems with the staff at check out but
was so annoyed and frustrated so thought better of it! All in all a most unforgettable night but for all the wrong reasons, I can truly say that it was the worse hotel stay ever.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura C

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781to discuss this further. Kind regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Me and my 2 friends stayed at Noveotel Sheffield New Years Eve. When we arrived, I went into the car park only to find no spaces left. The website does not say anything about limited spaces, and one car was parked over two spaces. The hotel should take responsibility in asking the owner to move, to let other residents park their cars, especially on such a busy day. I had to therefore park in the Casino car park round the corner which cost me £14 instead of £10 what we would have paid in the Novotel car park. I later found out we could have got a voucher from reception for £10 parking at the Casino car park, we were not offered this.

We were pleased with the room, very clean, and modern, apart from when we were unpacking our cases, the electric went off, we called reception to ask for help and the man didn't understand us and told us to call him back. We were just left in darkness with no explanation. After the electric going off again we went down to reception as we had to reply on the phone.

We had hoped that as we are not local, someone from the hotel would be able to tell us the best places to eat and drink at etc. Instead we had a man on reception that couldn't understand what we were saying to him, so had to ask random locals, who weren't much help.

After our night out in town, when returning to the hotel, we were told by a member of staff that the lifts were out of order and had to walk the 4 flights of stairs to our room. When reaching the top, someone then came out of the lifts. So it was obvious the lifts were clearly working and the member of staff had lied to us.

The morning we were due to check out we had a rude awakening by the maid at 10am, as we were checking out that day we didn't expect to be disturbed.

Breakfast was very nice, although we did have to witness a member of staff being disciplined by another, which wasn't very pleasant. When we returned to our room to get our things to check out, our key had been deactivated and we couldn't get back in. We had to then go back down to reception to get it reactivated to get back in our room to get our things.

You just wouldn't expect to have so many things wrong in a 4 Star, well known hotel chain, we booked to stay there because of the good reputation of the hotel chain. Definatly wouldnt be staying in the Sheffield Novotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kim B
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01142 781 781 to discuss this further.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

A modern hotel ideally located for a city break in Sheffield, next to the Lyceum and Crucible Theatres and in the central shopping/bar area. We had an Executive room which was modern and quiet, not sure if the upgrade was worth it though. As far as I could make out, room was no bigger but got a gown (to use, not keep), wi-fi and a fancy coffee machine, none of which were particularly useful. That said, room rate, given location, was still good value. Car parking is plentiful (extra £10) but only a short walk to train station as well. We were going to the theatre and it was literally 2 mins from door to door (mostly undercover). Brekky was decent and good choices available (self serve buffet). Room it is served in was modern and airy. Only gripe for me was the rooms were very warm, we visited on a cold day in December, had heating down to zero and window open yet room was only just bearable. Shame because the hotel has so many other plus points.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The location can't be faulted as it's very central and the revamped city centre has arisen around it (it backs onto the excellent Winter Gardens).

The rooms offer poor sleeping comfort - the beds have foam matteresses and are uncomfortble, the rooms are hot and the air conditioning doesn't work, it's too noisy (extractor fans for the nearby apartment block) to open a window and therefore the room is too hot for quality sleep. Also the noise from the corridors keeps you awake with noisy guests going back to their rooms after clubing.

The rooms are basic in decoration and someone forgot to decorate the toilet judging by out room. The shower leaks wetting the whole floor. The shower itself is powerful and hot though.

The pool is tiny but OK if you have it to yourself.

The car park got full after about 2pm. Luckily we were able to park in the Winter Garden car park next door. Be warned if you need to take your car somewhere as you might not be able to get it back into the car park but will still be charged for the full 24 hours ar £10.

My recommendation (and what I'll do next time) is stay at the St Pauls hotel next door. A bit more expensive but worth the extra. Or stay at the excellent Sheffield United hotel and walk into the city centre.

• Stayed: December 2012