“Nice hotel, good staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Sheffield

Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, good staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is next door to the holiday inn express so don't get confused. I stayed here for 2 nights in July. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. The hotel is quite old and my exec room had the old sash cord windows. There was no air conditioning but a fan was provided and the windows did open a bit.
It wasn't the best room I have stayed in but it was comfortable with 2 double beds and a choice of pillows. Bath room had a separate walk in shower as well as a bath and twin wash tubs.
The restaurant was a nice place to eat and the food was good and waiting staff very good. The menu was a bit limited and the bar snacks and room service menu appeared a little more varied.
Breakfast was buffet style and I echo the comment from a previous reviewer that some of the food seemed dried out, especially the eggs. But I do prefer a buffet rather than table service.
The hotel is only a 15 minute walk from the main station but I would not call it ideally situated. It is however very popular and was full on the 2 nights I stayed.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay and if I am in Sheffield again I would stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank daveinkent44
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear daveinkent44
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were very pleased that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay and would stay here again should you come to Sheffield. We have taken note of your comments regarding the breakfast buffet and we can assure you that although our breakfast offering usually received good feedback, our Head Chef is doing a little further training with his team. We would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Visited Cunninghams Restaurant to enjoy a delightful afternoon tea. We arrived on a gloomy afternoon but the dining room was lovely. Tables and chairs comfortable and well spaced apart. We were greeted by a friendly waitress who asked if were happy with where she was seating us. We had gin and tonics before afternoon tea. The afternoon tea consisted of a selection of sandwiches, scones with butter, jam and clotted cream and some rich chocolate mini desserts. Everything was fresh, tasty and well presented. My only criticism was the shabby stainless, handle missing from lid, teapot. There was no additional hot water served and tea bags were used. Seems a shame that this classic British tradition in such a beautiful setting wasn't more frequented - this could quite easily be Sheffield's answer to Betty's !!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DysonsOnTour
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear DysonsOnTour
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were really pleased to read that you had enjoyed having afternoon tea in our Restaurant. We have taken on board your comments regarding the tea pot and hot water. Our afternoon teas are starting to become really popular and as you quite rightly point out, Cunningham's Restaurant is an ideal location for this. We do hope that you will get the opportunity to come back soon. Kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Ate at Cunninghams the hotel eatery this Wednesday. The restaurant is rather grand but is brought to life by the extremely friendly, informal however very efficient staff. I was greeted by an chap called Si a very well presented and curtious young man. The menu had a couple of my favourite dishes.... Bacon and avocado with poached egg and sea bass. I ordered my starter and had it presented to me in minutes by Rachel a delightful young waitress. The starter was excellent and was only to be eclipsed by an amazing pan fried sea bass, perfectly seasoned and topped with a classic olive and tarragon butter. Both dishes where very well presented and would not look out of place in any swanky city eatery. Fantastic value for money and quite sublime service. Many thanks to Si, Rachel, Chloe and the chef Dave for a wonderful meal.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank davidharveymoon
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear davidharveymoon
Thank you very much for your review. We were delighted to read how much you had appreciated the service and quality of food which you experienced when you dined in Cunningham's at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria. We will certainly pass on your kind comments to the staff concerned and we do hope you will get the opportunity to visit us again soon. Kind regards
redcar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

stayed last weekend good clean hotel staff friendly plenty of parking on site, excellent breakfast something for everyone situated next to motorway and not far from center of sheffield its a well maintained hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank malroken
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Malroken
Thank you very much for your review. We were delighted to read that you liked the hotel and found breakfast to your liking. We certainly hope that you will get the opportunity to stay here again soon. Kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night only after a confusion with my booking which was supposed to be 2 night but this was not made by the hotel but by my work. so first thing is when i did arrive to no spare trooms for that extra night the gentleman on reception sorted me another hotel which was not part of this group which is top service. The hotel is large clean and quite an unusual hotel compared to other holiday Inns i visit and i do stay in them on a regular basis at least every month. the staff were well presented and helpful. the rooms were well kitted out and a blend of victorian and modern. I never ate in the Hotel so cant comment on this but overall a very nice hotel.

1 Thank Craigp280885
Dear Craigp280885
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay, albeit, a slightly shorter stay than you had expected. We do hope you will get the opportunity to stay here again soon, when we can assure you of our best attention at all times. Kind regards
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is the 3rd night of a 4 night stay, the staff at this hotel are fantastic they are really looking after me. The food has been amazing especially the feather blade of beef can highly recommend this. I must mention Tracey on reception who as always greeted me with a big smile and enquired how I was. Tom food and beverage manager has a fantastic team I must point out a few of them Nat and Mike on the bar also Sai and the restaurant staff, I must say my two personal favourites are Bev and Paul. Finally thanks to the housekeeping team who keep my lovely spacious room extremly clean and tidy. Thank you.

Markus you must be incredibly proud of your team Sue Lloyd

Room Tip: Rooms in the extension are quieter but I prefer the rooms in the main area of the hotel.
2 Thank Sue l
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Sue1
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were indeed delighted to read that you are enjoying your stay and that you found the food offering to be amazing. We will certainly pass on your kind comments to all the staff who work very hard to provide the service that you have quite obviously appreciated. We do hope that we can welcome you back again at some point in the future when we can assure you of our best attention at all times. Kind regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed here this week whilst on business and was disappointed. I have stayed here a few times before and am actually looking for a hotel in the area to stay in on a fairly regular basis so was hopeful this would be the one. Check in was a little slow but fine. My room was clean but very hot. No problem, I was going out fairly soon and would plug the fan in when I got back (no air con and the window only opened a tiny bit presumably due to health and safety. I had been given a wifi code by reception but found the signal very poor - almost unusable. When I came back to my room I found that the fan did not work at all. It was late so I just wanted to get to sleep. The bed was fine, the choice of pillows good - it was just very very hot!

Breakfast was buffet style as normal, sausages good, bacon only just cooked, eggs like rubber they had been there so long. I know it is not easy to do buffet style but you can - just see my review on the Best Western Rembrandt!

I was not asked by the receptionist on check out how my stay was! She went to get my bill and gave it to a colleague and walked off! I informed him of what had occurred in y room (fan and wifi). He assured me he would get it looked at. I hope he did!

All in all not great, average at best. I would love this to be my business hotel of choice in the area, but am not sure it will fit the bill?

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CurrymonstersTbone
Dear Currymonsterstbo
We were perturbed to learn that although you had stayed at our hotel on previous occasions and enjoyed your time with us, you were not entirely happy with some aspects of your latest stay and we do hope you will accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment which may have been caused.
First of all, we are sorry that the wifi service in your room was not as good as you would have wished. We have identified that the service in the area is a little intermittent and we are in discussions with various other suppliers to try and get this improved for our guests. We were was disappointed with your comments regarding breakfast as we normally get quite positive feedback about our breakfast offering. However, we have passed on your comments to our Head Chef and requested that he ensures all members of his brigade cook breakfast to the specification we require in future. We have taken cognisance of your experience with one of the receptionists and once again, we can only apologise as our reception staff usually receive a lot of praise for the friendly, helpful manner they normally portray to our staff. We can assure you that your experience is not indicative of our normal high standard of service and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria, Sheffield again at some point in the future when we can assure you of our best attention at all times. Kind regards