“Disappointing”

Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Cardiff, Wales
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have family living in Sheffield and have used this hotel many times over the years. The location is good for us and there is always parking available. However, I think on this occasion it didn't come up to expectations. We had a very small room which could really do with a good clean and upgrade. Some of the public areas are also looking a bit shabby now. Not too impressed with the breakfast either as everything was overcooked and cold. On the plus side the staff are always very helpful and polite and we did have a good deal but I'll probably look for something else the next time we are up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Delilah2704
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Delilah2704, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of your room. Unfortunately, due to the age and layout of our historic old building, all our rooms are indeed different shapes and sizes and I am sorry if the room you were allocated on this occasion was not one of our larger ones. I would like to assure you that we are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment for both the bedrooms and public areas. I was also disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast offering. We are normally renown for the high standard of our breakfast and I would like to assure you our Head Chef has been asked to ensure all members of his brigade serve breakfast items to the correct specification in future. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and I do hope you will consider using us again the next time you are in Sheffield when I can assure you of our best attention at all times. Kind regards Hermann Beck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A prime location, convenient for most things you may wish to do in and around the Sheffield area and only a short walk from the town center. The hotel has it's own large car park.

I stayed for two nights, my room was in the front of the hotel on the first floor. There is a lift serving the three bedroom floors.

There is a large cosy bar with seating that may have come from a Gentleman's Club. The restaurant has an interesting menu and there is the almost mandatory buffet breakfast, which was very good with both hot and cold selections.

There is WiFi throughout including the common areas but you have to pay a small fee per 24 hour period, this is waived if you are an elite tier member of the IHG Rewards program.

The room was clean and tidy and the bathroom spotless. The usual toiletries are provided and there are bathrobes, something missing in many hotels these days. There was complimentary water and biscuits in the room and a mini bar with some snacks and soft drinks which were chargeable.

The bed was comfortable, I actually had a room with two queens but only slept if one I am sure the other would have been equally okay. My only gripes were that the bedroom carpet was grubby and didn't look or feel clean, probably could do with being replaced and the floor was very creaky, as was the floor of the room above which was quite noisy.

Dinner service was pleasant enough with the food coming out hot and timely and polite courteous staff.

I would stay again however adjoining the property is a Holiday Inn Express which is a more modern building which may be worth a try.

Room Tip: I only award Cleanliness an "Average" because of the carpet, in all other respect it was e...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bazz747
Dear Bazz747

Thank you very much for your review. The staff and I were pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you liked the hotel and its services.
I have taken note of your comments regarding the carpet in your room and would like to assure you that we are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment to our bedrooms.
We do hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again in the not too distant future when I can assure you of our best attention at all times.
Kind regards
Hampshire
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just stayed one night as a stop over on a trip further North.

Firstly, the room was fine and spotlessly clean. The set menu included in our DB&B package was surprisingly very good, and meant there was no need to choose from the a la carte menu.

The staff, including the owner, were all very friendly and helpful.

Our only, minor, quibble was that full English breakfast from the buffet could have been hotter.

Have paid much more for much worse quality and service. Would certainly stay again if passing this way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any Wedding parties if staying on a Saturday.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Cal555
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were indeed very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and the service you received from our staff.
I was disappointed to learn however, that our breakfast buffet was not very hot. I would like to assure you that this is not the norm and I will certainly ask both my breakfast chef and restaurant manager to be more vigilant with the buffet at breakfast in future. We do hope that you might get the chance to stay with us again if you have a room requirement in Sheffield in the future. Kind regards
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

one night stay through Travelzoo.From reception staff to bar staff and restaurant the service was excellent.Evening meal and breakfast were first class with plenty of choice.Only downside was the room (203) which was a bit stuffy resulting in us having to open the window and we were then subjected to the sound of the generator.Had we have been staying another night we would have asked to be moved to another room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear STEPHEN872

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read you found the staff and the service excellent; I shall pass these comments onto the team.

I would like to apologise that you found your room stuffy and I shall be passing this onto the Executive Head Housekeeper to investigate further.

Thank you once again for your review and i do hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Sheffield.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My fiancee and I recently stayed as part of a weekend mini break, including a visit to Chatsworth House. The hotel is ideally situated for visiting the Peak District and South Yorkshire. As others have mentioned, look for 'The Holiday Inn' signs when entering Sheffield, as the hotel is not easy to find at first, but we soon got the hang of it ! The staff were helpful and very friendly, whilst the rooms are simple, but very clean, and the bathrooms modern. The hotel decor is good, and shows the hotels historic links with the Great Western Railway. The evening meal and buffet breakfast were both excellent, the food was well prepared and very tasty. In short, we both enjoyed our stay and we would recommend the hotel for anybody visiting the surrounding area.

Dear Nick O

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria fantastic.

I was pleased to read your comments on how friendly and helpful you found the staff. We strive as a hotel to provide the highest standard of friendliness and customer service to all of our guests.

I will pass on your wonderful comments onto the team which I am sure they will be delighted to hear of them.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at the holiday inn royal victoria on Sunday 26th August
The first room offering was a nasty fag smelling room
Upon complaining offered another room on a different part of hotel
A much lighter and smart room Thank you for that

The breakfast was with the room and was unbelievably large well worth it !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Blobby1965
Dear Blobby1965
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay, especially our breakfast.
We only have a handful of smoking rooms available at the hotel and I am sorry if the room you were allocated on arrival was one of these or if it was a non smoking room then I can only apologise that a previous guest had been smoking in a non smoking room. Anyway, I was delighted to learn hat as soon as you mentioned it to my staff they were able to move you. I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again in the not too distant future. Kind regards.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We used a 1 day deal through a specialist and found this gem. We were given a large room which the reception said would be far away from the wedding that was on going and therefore quieter. Thanks. The room was newish in the extension. The hotel is central but is well away from any troubles as it is sighted on a service road salvaged from a railway entrance/yard. It is only 100yds from the river side and that has pleasant walks and watching longboats.
It does charge a £5 for o'night parking but it is served by CCTV and a large open parking space.
Our deal was evening meal and breakfast both proved to be acceptable and with an inclusive wine was very good value for us. For the price I wat full rate it may well prove sensible to shop around.
Overall a great place to safe in Sheffield Centre and we would use it again.

Room Tip: All the rooms if no weddings etc would be OK as we saw it?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zoopla

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted that you found your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria a treat.

I was pleased to ready that reception allocated in our new extension and indicated this would be away from any noise created from the wedding.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope we can welcome back on your next visit to Sheffield.