“Good Value”

Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Hampshire
“Good Value”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just stayed one night as a stop over on a trip further North.

Firstly, the room was fine and spotlessly clean. The set menu included in our DB&B package was surprisingly very good, and meant there was no need to choose from the a la carte menu.

The staff, including the owner, were all very friendly and helpful.

Our only, minor, quibble was that full English breakfast from the buffet could have been hotter.

Have paid much more for much worse quality and service. Would certainly stay again if passing this way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any Wedding parties if staying on a Saturday.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Cal555
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were indeed very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and the service you received from our staff.
I was disappointed to learn however, that our breakfast buffet was not very hot. I would like to assure you that this is not the norm and I will certainly ask both my breakfast chef and restaurant manager to be more vigilant with the buffet at breakfast in future. We do hope that you might get the chance to stay with us again if you have a room requirement in Sheffield in the future. Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

one night stay through Travelzoo.From reception staff to bar staff and restaurant the service was excellent.Evening meal and breakfast were first class with plenty of choice.Only downside was the room (203) which was a bit stuffy resulting in us having to open the window and we were then subjected to the sound of the generator.Had we have been staying another night we would have asked to be moved to another room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear STEPHEN872

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read you found the staff and the service excellent; I shall pass these comments onto the team.

I would like to apologise that you found your room stuffy and I shall be passing this onto the Executive Head Housekeeper to investigate further.

Thank you once again for your review and i do hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Sheffield.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My fiancee and I recently stayed as part of a weekend mini break, including a visit to Chatsworth House. The hotel is ideally situated for visiting the Peak District and South Yorkshire. As others have mentioned, look for 'The Holiday Inn' signs when entering Sheffield, as the hotel is not easy to find at first, but we soon got the hang of it ! The staff were helpful and very friendly, whilst the rooms are simple, but very clean, and the bathrooms modern. The hotel decor is good, and shows the hotels historic links with the Great Western Railway. The evening meal and buffet breakfast were both excellent, the food was well prepared and very tasty. In short, we both enjoyed our stay and we would recommend the hotel for anybody visiting the surrounding area.

Dear Nick O

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria fantastic.

I was pleased to read your comments on how friendly and helpful you found the staff. We strive as a hotel to provide the highest standard of friendliness and customer service to all of our guests.

I will pass on your wonderful comments onto the team which I am sure they will be delighted to hear of them.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at the holiday inn royal victoria on Sunday 26th August
The first room offering was a nasty fag smelling room
Upon complaining offered another room on a different part of hotel
A much lighter and smart room Thank you for that

The breakfast was with the room and was unbelievably large well worth it !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Blobby1965
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Blobby1965
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay, especially our breakfast.
We only have a handful of smoking rooms available at the hotel and I am sorry if the room you were allocated on arrival was one of these or if it was a non smoking room then I can only apologise that a previous guest had been smoking in a non smoking room. Anyway, I was delighted to learn hat as soon as you mentioned it to my staff they were able to move you. I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again in the not too distant future. Kind regards.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We used a 1 day deal through a specialist and found this gem. We were given a large room which the reception said would be far away from the wedding that was on going and therefore quieter. Thanks. The room was newish in the extension. The hotel is central but is well away from any troubles as it is sighted on a service road salvaged from a railway entrance/yard. It is only 100yds from the river side and that has pleasant walks and watching longboats.
It does charge a £5 for o'night parking but it is served by CCTV and a large open parking space.
Our deal was evening meal and breakfast both proved to be acceptable and with an inclusive wine was very good value for us. For the price I wat full rate it may well prove sensible to shop around.
Overall a great place to safe in Sheffield Centre and we would use it again.

Room Tip: All the rooms if no weddings etc would be OK as we saw it?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zoopla

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted that you found your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria a treat.

I was pleased to ready that reception allocated in our new extension and indicated this would be away from any noise created from the wedding.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope we can welcome back on your next visit to Sheffield.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My friend had a wedding on 27/8/2013 and we have been incharge to make sure everything is alright. During the wedding, the kitchen staff saying they short of plates. How could you short of plates when you call yourself whatever stars hotel??????? And they knew the number of people attending the ceremony way in advance. The night manager also very rude and talk to guests like animals. The guests were outside talking and she came out in a very rude manner shouting at them to be quiet or they will be ask to leave. Proffesional level of this hotel is absolutely disgusting. Basically they dont really care about you once you paid for service....my advice....dont do weddibg ceremony there....they are terrible

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Khairulesz
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Khairulesz,

Thank you for spending the time to provide us with your feedback of your friend’s wedding.

Naturally, if you were involved with the organising of the wedding you should be aware of the fact that our hotel was contracted simply to provide the function room and table layout.

As one of the organisers you would have known that the service staff and catering were organised directly by the wedding party, who used an external outside contract catering company and staffing agency.

It is surprising therefore that you fail to mention in your critique that the catering and the service staff were in fact employed by the host, not the hotel. In this respect I find your feedback on the hotel very unfair on our staff. Although we were not contracted to be involved in managing the wedding celebration, we did provide 3 members of our management staff, to assist your caterers in order to support the running of the event in a back of house capacity; something we were not contracted to do.

In respect of your reference to insufficient plates, I can assure you that we do have more than enough plates at the hotel to manage large events; something which we indeed do all year around. Once a member of my management staff overheard some of the contract waiting staff discussing that they cleared both plates after starter, my managers swiftly issued additional plates. Unfortunately, it was the manager of the contractor who told the contract waiting staff not to use the plates we provided. The fact that the contact caterer decided not to use these plates, is not something that we as a hotel can control.

Regarding your feedback about our night manager, I am sorry if you felt that her conduct was not acceptable and please rest assured that I have spoken to her. I can assure you that it was not her intention to offend. After 10pm she addressed your guests on 6 separate occasions, in an aim to keep noise at an acceptable level. She had received noise complaints from a number of residential guests. This quite clearly does not support your belief that we do not care, as she was acting in the best interest of all our guests, which at times I am sure you agree can be quite challenging. It is regrettable that she needed to talk to the same guests on a number of occasions regarding the disturbance caused.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked this hotel as we found a fantastic deal which included tickets for Chatsworth - our reason for wanting to stay somewhere in or close to the Peak District. Having got exasperated at actually trying to find it (look for the Holiday Inn - this hotel is behind it and hidden from the road), we were pleasantly impressed when we drove up. It has all the external splendor of a railway hotel of a by- gone age and the inside doesn’t disappoint.

We were upgraded (a big plus given the package we were on!) and our room was large, modern, clean and very comfortable. We loved the wrought iron banisters and traditional decor in the public rooms.

On the downside the service in restaurant left a bit to be desired but the food was acceptable. And they don't do cocktails in the bar which is a shame.

As someone else has said, not a destination hotel but if you want to visit the Peak District or are en route to somewhere and need to stop over in Sheffield and can get a deal, this is a great place to stay

Room Tip: Ask to get upgraded to an exceutive suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TRHClan
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear TRHClan

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that your enjoyed your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria on one of our Chatsworth packages.

I was pleased to read that your noticed the hotels period features, as a Grade II listed building our hotel still retains many of its period features from stained glass ceilings in the Grand Lounge to the Grand Ballroom.

I was disappointed to read your comments about the service in the restaurant which is not our usual standard and I shall be passing this onto the food and beverage manager to investigate further.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.