“Very comfortable hotel”

Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business, and as the previous reviewer said, finding it in the dark rush hour due to Sheffield's bizzare road system was the only downside as my sat nav kept trying to take me up bus lanes and the wrong way round the one way system. I would suggest printing out a birds eye view from google maps to help you get your bearings. However, the location is great if you plan to walk into the city. I arrived frazzled but soon wound down once in my very nice comfortable room. I had booked an executive room which, judging by other reviews was the best thing to do. It had everything I needed to make this home for two days, a comfortable bed, armchairs, desk, fridge, large TV, and a new and gleamingly clean bathroom with bath and shower, I can't comment on the bars or restaurant as I made use of room service which was good quality and served very quickly. The hotel itself is full of olde worlde charm, very Victorian in decor and so much nicer than the bland magnolia corridors of many a hotel. Staff were without exception very friendly and helpful, especially the poor man on reception who was patiently trying to explain how to navigate the road system to get where I needed to be! All in all a great stay and I'd definitely return but by train next time

Room Tip: Book an executive room

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here recently for a business conference nearby. Finding the hotel was the most difficult and tiring part of the day, taking over an hour to find in Sheffield's manic rush hour and one way/bus lane system. However once parked in the hotel's car park I immediately started to relax.

The facade of the hotel is imposing, the interior decor displaying a bygone age, the rooms however have plenty of modern features. I stayed in the new wing, which was in the process of being redecorated. The bathrooms are quite clearly recently completed, the bedroom felt a little tired but perfectly fit for purpose.

The breakfast buffet is more than ample and was included in my hotel rate. There is a £5 per car charge for parking, which may or may not be included in your stay rate - check with reception. The lift is a little small, no way would you fit 10 people in, despite the claims on the display, however if you are happy to use the stairs they are utterly beautiful to behold.

The staff I spoke to were polite and courteous. Everything was carried out with an airof efficiency. I would recommend to others but only those with a sense of direction and an ability to read maps!!!

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife, both kids and I just stayed the one night as we were going to a concert at the Sheffield Arena. To be fair we were just using the place as somewhere to sleep for the night. The location is good, its easy to get to and there's ample parking which they charge you £5.00 for. Its only a ten minute walk to the city centre and all the bars etc. In our room we had two double beds. I have to say that the room was excellent value for the price. We didnt have breakfast in the hotel. I would certainly stay again if I needed to be in Sheffield for the night.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I use the facilities here quite a lot and have always found the amenities and food absolutely first rate. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone whether this is a short or long stay.The staff are extremely friendly and can't do enough.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding reception there. The reception staff were pleasant and the room was very nice, large with a nice bathroom and comfortable bed and pilows (choice of pillows was a nice touch). On the down side the bar and function rooms were cold and the breakfast was quite honestly the worst breakfast I have ever seen. Tinned tomatoes, greasy bacon, rock hard sausages and brown coloured beans. If we had been paying seperately for this is would have cost £16.00 each. There is really no excuse for any hotel to serve such a terrible breakfast, we will not go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank helen6286
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear helen6286,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and your room accommodations. I am sorry for the issues you had with our functions rooms and the bar. I am also sorry for the breakfast we offer that fell below your expectations. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed by our managements and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I regularly visit the Holiday Inn in Sheffield for business breakfast events. For business it has spacious rooms with good acoustics because of the thick carpets and heavy curtains. I always find the staff friendly and enjoy the food there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I hold a gold card for holiday inn and always seek them out whenever i need a hotel. This is, I am afraid, the poorest Holiday Inn I've stayed in to date. The exterior and reception are very nice, the room was fine, if a bit dated. Before I set out my concerns, I would highlight the excellent receptionist who checked me in. I never caught her name but she was very very pleasant, friendly and welcoming.

On the negative side, I objected to paying £5 for overnight parking, I felt this was a total rip off. Secondly, the Internet was for 24 hours and cost £7.50. It was deathly slow. Stupidly, on my part, I didn't realise that although it was for 24 hours, the download was limited. I tried to watch a programme on iplayer (which continuously buffered) but never got to the end before I'd used up all my allowance for the 24 hours. A total rip off again.

Also, I understand hygiene issues etc but nothing spoils a nights sleep for me more than those plastic/rubber under sheets. I do not require them and they look and feel cheap in hotels. Cleaners should be cleaning mattresses regularly, not putting guests through uncomfortable, hot and sweaty sleeps!! It's cheap and nasty!

The bat food was ok. I ate in my room as the bar was desterted and lacked any atmosphere whatsoever.

This is a beautiful building. But many things need to be rectified. I cannot reccimend this I am afraid

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Liam12march
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Liam12march,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you found one of our front desk staff commendable. Please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. As a Priority Club Gold Elite member, we appreciate your loyalty and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Regards,