“Slightly Disappointing”

Coal Grill and Bar
Ranked #733 of 1,440 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Bar, Barbecue, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Derbys
“Slightly Disappointing”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is the second time we have visited this restaurant, the first time I thought the food was good. Having visited today on a busy Sunday, the food was slightly poorer.

I had a coal chicken burger, which comes beautifully presented, on a wooden board, with chips in a small frying basket and coal slaw. The burger comes in a plain white bun, with lettuce, bacon, cheese and a tomato. I thought this time around that the chicken was slightly under cooked, and the bun fell to pieces, as did my Daughters bun, she had a steak sandwich.

My Husband had a coal burger which he enjoyed, again it came with the same trimmings as the chicken one.

For a garlic bread, two burgers, one steak sandwich, a panini, extra coleslaw and four soft drinks with no tips our bill came to £52.80.

At least you don't come out of there hungry!!!

Surprisingly despite it being very busy, the waiting staff were very pleasant and service was quick. The restaurant on the whole is very clean, spacious and airy. I would go back again.

• Visited May 2013

Redcar
“Beautiful Steak - definitely recommended”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visit was for birthday/reunion. Wanted something special. We had some "small plates" to start - and they really were very small. Steak was delicious, but found both the pepper and blue cheese sauce watery.
Overall - steak gorgeous and value for money
house white wine - very nice
starters - not really good value for money.
Would I return - yes, but would not have the starter

• Visited March 2013
“Slow, need a week off work to eat here!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I went on an Thursday afternoon, it wasn't busy. We sat at the table and was given menus, 15 mins later a waitress came over and asked for our order, 30 mins after we gave our order the meals turned up. The portions was very small, room temp and very over priced. We asked for the bill and that took 15 min, then when I wanted to pay by card she went off to get the card machine that took another 10 mins. We won't be going back and definetly not recommending to anyone.

1 Thank Allen86
Leeds
“Fab Presentation”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I regularly come to Coal, very friendly staff, great food & best thing about it is the presentation!

• Visited February 2013
“Average but won't be returning”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The service is very slow here. I'm sat typing this whilst still waiting to pay the bill (10mins) even thought at current there is only 7tables being served. The food was poor. Not presented well and over cooked. My corn on the cob (see picture) looked as though somebody had already been chewing it before it was served. On the plus side the garlic bread was nice. Do not eat the "coal-slaw" it's like dragon spawn. After eating at a lot of establishments price is no barrier but for what you get here it's not good value for money.

You get a loyalty card at the end of your meal..... Don't think ill be using it!
And the waitress asked if we would like to leave a tip as we payed with card...... Rather rude in my opinion.

1 Thank Growe192