“Disappointing”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Saturday shopping at Meadowhall, saw Coal, thought "mmm, I fancy something grilled for lunch". I got it (some chicken, which was part of my main course), but shame the service was very slow throughout and the main course was served at just above room temperature (luke warm pasta, yum...). This was despite the restaurant not being very busy (I quote the waiter who seated us) and waitresses spending a lot of time stood in the middle looking around.

It sounds like others have had a better experience, but I'll take some convincing to try Coal again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Service was not very good, in fact below standard. Food was poor, lettuce was brown, portions small, tortillas the smallest I have ever seen. Glad they have a smoking terrace - that's the best thing I can say about them.

CoalCustomerService, Owner at Coal Grill and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

We'd like to reply?

The brown salad you referred to is called Lollo Rosso which is reddish brown in colour, has a distinctive taste and is very different in looks and taste to for example iceberg lettuce. Our team recall your visit very well and you'll possibly remember that when you asked for more flour tortillas to go with your fajitas, we willingly brought more without question?

You'll also have noticed we removed the salad from your bill and made lots of check backs to your table during your visit?

We're pleased you enjoyed our smoking terrace, if not our hospitality!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I didn't have much time for evening meal when we arrived at Meadowhall and we were actually looking for Carluccio's, but it's not open yet! Any how we decided to try our luck at Coal Grill & Bar and we're very glad we did. Our waitress was excellent, especially when we said we were pushed for time. We both had starters - Spicy Chicken Quesadilla for me and Duck Pate for my wife and they were both very good. For mains we had the Coal Signature Fire-Sticks (large kebabs) - two of chicken, one steak and one king prawn. They were excellent - well spiced and cooked perfectly and accompanied with grilled onions, mushrooms and courgettes plus basmati rice. We had excellent draught Amstel to drink, but didn't have either the time or the room for a dessert. Service was swift (we asked for this) yet not stupidly rushed. Well worth a visit and we'll go back again too.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went here with 3 girl friends, early evening, I had been here before so recommended this, and we all had a lovely meal!

! of my friends amd I had the chimichanga, it was amazing! You must try it! Also the chocolate foundue for dessert, again delicious!

No complaints from my other 2 friends. 1 had the ribs & the other had the coal burder

Service was friendly & food came quickly.

Would not hesistate to recommend or visit again.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Rubbish!!
Food was nice but when i showed them the price it said it would be on the internet, the manager refuse to honor it and said it was an put dated price!!
I showed him it on my phone that day!!
I havent been in since!
How rude, I thought the customer was the priority?

CoalCustomerService, Owner at Coal Grill and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

We're very apologetic about the comments you have reported here. Regrettably menus/content/prices can from time to time alter without prior notice and on this occasion we were clearly in error by not altering the website information. This is something we're now in future going to follow up on and once again offer our apologies for this error