“Coeliac let down” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jack Baker's Brasserie at the Beauchief - CLOSED

Jack Baker's Brasserie at the Beauchief
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Coeliac let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked to eat here for valentines as they have a specific coeliac friendly menu. So obviously I was very excited. We had a friendly welcome and due to the size of the place had a private table where we could chat and not feel like we were overheard. I would say the decor is quite dated. We were served promptly and the wine was really nice. The coeliac friendly menu was limited but I'm used to this. Unfortunately our server took down my order incorrectly so I only got a gluten free starter my main came and I queried if the onion rings had been made with a gluten free batter. He didn't know and went to find out. We couldn't understand how even if the server got the order wrong that the kitchen staff didn't check why I had ordered only a gf starter from the menu as they should have been making every effort to reduce cross contamination in the kitchen. Overall the steak was delicious as was the Yorkshire blue cheese and bacon sauce. My side dishes were changed when my husband complained and the server was apologetic. It kind of took the shine off the evening plus it took a long time to get our second bottle of wine. The food was well priced but with such a big mistake I would have expected the manager to have gone the extra mile and apologize too.

York, United Kingdom
“Quiet Saturday Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Visited here for evening meal with my parents while they were visiting me for the weekend early Feb. Food was very good and reasonable priced for the quality and portions. Varied menu but not loads to choose from. Very nice decor and ambiance with candles on every table. Friendly staff. We were sat in a raised carpet area with fireplace, but the restaurant was a lot bigger then we first thought and it was very quiet for a Saturday evening. my dad had a twice baked cheese souffle as a starter which he really enjoyed. They shared the special pork dish which had a huge portion of sides (mainly potato based). Shame there was noone actually playing the nice piano, but there was music playing of popular tunes converted to piano, which we really enjoyed figuring out what was what. As the restaurant is all open plan we found it a bit drafty but me and my mum take ages to warm up anyway so could have been just us.

• Visited February 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Cordon-not-so-bleu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

First time for us since the place was taken over by Richard Smith et al.Never liked the place before.We went to sus-out the place before booking for a family celebration in April - which we won't be doing!
Upon arrival we were shown into th bar area,served with drinks then told we couldn't sit in a particular area.2 minutes later having just sat in alternative seats we were moved again ! After 15 minutes no menu had arrived until we asked for one.
Dining was not in the main restaurant area but took place in what seemed to be a landing / inner terraced area. The decor is drab and very dated and the whole place had a slight stale frying smell.The food was promptly served and the first course quite reasonable.The second course- we both had steak,was worthy of the Bernie inns - if you remember them. the chips overcooked, the obviously frozen onion rings greasy and the sauces for the average steak were weak and very salty.To be fair the wines were pretty good. Service throughout the meal was very good . Not cheap for a very average meal.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mid Calder, Scotland
“Lovely surroundings and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

A good, varied menu with generous portions and everything freshly prepared. A very attractive edge of town old building with a labyrinth of different bars, rooms and passages. Very pleasant overall experience.

Visited January 2014
“Let down by terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We booked the restaurant for Christmas day lunch for 10.
2 of the party were young children so we rang in advance to arrange their requirements.
On arrival all looked good. We were late to our table as the previous party were late leaving but understood this.
our orders were taken. No bread at the table as on the menu. We had to ask for this and it arrived half way through the starters.
I ordered drinks including wine. Despite asking and being told they are on there way after 20 minutes it took 50 minutes to recieve them. There were similar long delays between courses however we didn't want to be too rushed.
main courses arrived but couldn't be put on the table as the starters and sorbet course had not been cleared from the table. Each time the table was cleared it was only a partial half hearted attempt.
Halibut was excellent but steak arrived cremated and traditional Christmas turkey had no stuffing or sauces offered. Yorkshire puddings amongst the worst ever seen.
despite pre arranging chocolate desert for the children and the waiter on the day writing this down . They were presented with vanilla ice cream.
this was corrected but only after the rest of us had finished eating.
We had to constantly ask for the table clearing and after some wait had to ask for coffee. These came without the advertised truffles.
After some discussion we ended up paying far less than we should but even then the experience was not worth it.
all in all a ruined Christmas day experience mainly due to poor. Inattentive service.
The 2 neighbouring parties had similar complaints
We will not be returning.

• Visited December 2013