“Great food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The food was delicious,we had scallops ,steak and the homemade ice cream .The service was great ,we was given our menus in the bar area so we had time to study the menus at our leisure.We was very happy with every meal we ordered the flavours was delightful. .

Visited January 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely location and grounds beautiful”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Food was nice and service very prompt! We went for an afternoon tea for a friends birthday and everyone really enjoyed it!!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Diane B
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food in excellent surroundings”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This restaurant serves high quality food in excellent surroundings. Main courses were good and well-cooked and the puddings were also very good. However, the starters were rather disppointing and drinks appeared rather expensive. The service was very good from reception to table. The surrondings are excellent. The hotel is tastefully furnished and the garden is attractive and relaxing.

• Visited November 2012
South Yorkshire, England
“Raised its game”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming here for 30 years or so during which time there have been ups and downs. Recently ate here on a Sunday (table d'hôte) and weekday (a la carte). Prices have certainly risen - and wine is pricey too. But we have found the food and service to be better. There's no doubt that if there is one or even two weddings it can be busy and noisy. The evening we went there was a wedding but the restaurant was almost empty, which was lovely. One of the features we like is the lounge where one can sit before and after the meal. So for our thinking, it's very good but set a price.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten at this restaurant a large number of times over a period of 30 years and have always had lovely food and found it to be good value up to this latest visit, they no longer do the set menu which did represent excellent value.
The a la carte menu looked interested and I had king scallops for a starter at just under £10.00 and braised lamb shoulder at £22.00 for a main. Vegetables were extra.
I do not mind paying premium prices for good food but the food just wasn't good enough. I had 2 smallish scallops which had been sliced and layered with cucumber. The dish was tasty but vastly overpriced and because the scallops had been sliced they were at best on the cold side of luke warm.
The main dish was dissapointing. The lamb was dry and tasteless, also quite fatty, it was served with a lovely sauce. There was a potato mille feuile (. Very smal) which although tasty had been vastly over salted and I like salt. There was a triangle of a green tasteless mush. I can't remember what it said on the menu and I couldn't work our what it was supposed to be other than it had a very slight hint of mint. All my dishes were very well presented but I felt it was a case of style over substance. I had braised lamb two weeks previously in a modest restaurant in Inverness ( Joy of Taste) that had been wonderful. Moist and very flavoursome. Hai had Whitley hall effort first I would never order brased lamb ever again.

My partner had a sole and salmon cold terrine type starter which was tasty and had some interesting accompaniments such as a grapefruit cavier. This was well presented and overall a very good dish. She has a sirloin steak (£23.00) which was served with chips. There was nothing special about her dish but the steak was cooked to perfection and the chips were fantastic. There was nothing fine dining about the dish but it was an excellent steak and chips. I would question the seasoning again as the steak was very salty.

We had gone to Whitely Hall for a nice quiet romantic evening. There were two weddings taking place and the noise from the wedding suite next to the dining room was very intrusive at times and we were unable to hear the pleasant dining area background music. Our experience was also marred by an almost contant stream of staff marching through the dining area with plates of food for a wedding buffet..
There was only two other couples in the restaurant and I feel that the hike in pricing will have put people off from dining here. I feel quite sad that this will be my last visit to this establishment after all these years. I will not pay high prices so that chefs can indulge the new molecular gastronomy fad to the detriment of the main ingredients.

My partner had a sole and salmon cold starter which had some lovely in

1 Thank Andyt2120