Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My partner and I have stayed here on many occasions, my partner singly over a period of months and both of us together for weekends in Sheffield. The Premier Inn has always been a convenient place to stay. The staff are friendly and helpful and work really hard. The rooms are of a good standard...and the beds...oh the beds..sooo comfy!!

Room Tip: If there is a problem just say, staff will always try to help. It is a good night guaranteed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janerogers16
Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel is modern clean and tidy, the staff are very polite and helpful , the location was good for us, as its just a stroll from Sheffield united fc, so no hassle getting to and from the ground, shame about the result !

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you found our rooms to be clean and modern and our team to be polite and helpful.

We always apprecitate all kinds of feedback and your comments shall be passed onto our team.

We hope to welcome you back here in the future.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hotel is very good value at £29 a night, especially for a city centre location. Staff were friendly and welcoming both at reception and in the restaurant. The car park is under the building and this isn't obvious from google view in case you're wondering how much car parking space there is. I had no trouble parking the first night, but the car park was almost full by 8.30 on the second night. The room was fine, the bedlinen was quite soft. Two of the lamps in the room did not work but this didn't impair my stay too much. I would have preferred a wash basin inside the bathroom rather than in the bedroom, but this is personal preference. I was on the 7th floor but not bothered by any traffic noise, or any other noise from other guests.I ate in the restaurant both nights as I was in town alone. The food was well presented but mainly general pub grub, I didn't think it was anything special. I didn't try the desserts but they looked very good. The liquor coffee was fine. I didn't eat breakfast. I would stay here again if I could get a room at the same price. It's a convenient hotel for the railway station, from where you can travel all over Yorkshire and the north.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2014

used this hotel as we have used it in the past as it provide just what we need at an affordable price.
We use this particular hotel because it provides a secure carpark and pleasant staff together with quite reasonable food and value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am pleased to hear we met all of your needs and expectations (Secure car parking, Good food and friendly staff)

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

overall the staff were great, cleanliness of the rooms great and the restaurant food was very good, the only downer was the bathroom extractor that went on a little longer than expected.
As we where only there for a couple of nights we didn't really want to complain.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for leaving us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am so pleased that you were happy with our clean & comfortable rooms, the food in our restaurant and our friendly staff.

Thank you for your feedback regarding to extractor fan working for longer than needed. This has been reported to our in house maintenance who shall look into getting this resolved.

We hope to welcome you back here in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights as we were visiting our daughter who is at Sheffield Uni. We could not fault this hotel. Great location, fab comfy rooms and beds. The staff were amazing, always so happy to help. The breakfast was lovely ... loads of choice and always plenty there ... we also ate in the restaurant on our 2nd evening .. this too was great. We found the whole hotel to be spotlessly clean.The free parking was really handy too
We will def be staying at this hotel next time we visit and would highly recommend :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I was delighted to hear that you found our beds to be so comfortable (we have just recently had all of our mattresses replaced with the new pocket sprung mattres)
We do pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms and friendly service and I am so pleased to hear that on your stay we did not faulter.

I am so happy that you would choose to stay with us again in the future and that you would recommend us to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back here soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We spent two nights at the hotel whilst attending my sons graduation, the hotel is about a mile from Sheffield University so we could walk to the graduation ceremony even with a wheelchair.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this hotel, just a few minor niggles that made the stay less enjoyable than it could have been.

We were given a wheelchair accesible room (401) which seemed a bit dark and gloomy even with all lights on, there is no main room light so you are dependent on the bedside lamps for illumination. Even during the day the neighbouring office building cut out most of the daylight and view.

The bathroom was large and spacious with all the space and grabrails, shower seats etc. needed for a wheelchair user but it came with the tiniest wash basin I have ever seen. It made it difficult to fill the kettle. I am sure a larger basin could have been fitted without compromising accessibility.

The headboard for the bed could do with a good clean - you could clearly see where scores of previous guests had leant against it. The bed it self was a little too hard for comfort and too short for a six footer to avoid foot overhang.

There was little traffic noise despite the ring road location and no noise from other guests.

Staff were friendly and helpful printing out directions to a nearby Wetherspoons pub (Sheaf Island) where we had dinner and breakfast in preference to the in-hotel restaurant. We did have to wait a while for the gate to the carpark to be opened one evening (why no key card swipe?).

It would be an idea to put a key drop box on the ground and basement levels to speed checkout.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mymsman
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review and for the feedback you have given us.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the comments you raised regarding issues you experianced during your stay here.

With ref to the dark room (401) I completely agree that this room in particular does not let enough natural light in and with the main light being situated above the door, it does leave the back end of the room quite dull.
We are aware of this problem and I would like to assure you that we are currenlty looking into ways of creating more light within these rooms (401 in particular)

Thank you for your feedback regarding the small sink, it has not been brought to my attention before but I assure you now that it has I shall look into this further as to how we can go about replacing these for larger ones in our accessable rooms.

With regards to the marks on the headboard, When we had our headboards replaced some months ago, any product that came into contact with the materical caused a chemical reaction leaving a 'mark' on the headboard itself know as 'sticky headboard'
We have 122 rooms at this site and 113 of these have now been replaced with a 'new' material that will prevent this from happening again.
The company that were replacing these headboards had 9 rooms to come back and complete and unfortunatly room 401 was one of them.
ALL rooms will be completed with new headboards by Friday 14th March.

I am sorry to hear that you found the bed to be hard and therefore uncomfortable, St Mary's Gate have recently replaced all of our mattresses with the new pocket sprung mattress (as advertised on tv) but I shall certainly take on board your feedback and ensure the mattress in that particular room is to standard.

The only reason as to why we do not currenlty have a drop box on the ground floor for key cards is purely becasue we would like to encourage our guests to come to recepiton upon departure so we can ensure they have enjoyed there stay with us and hopefully rectify any issues should there have been any.
I do appreciate however when people are in a rush, reception being on a seperate floor to the entrance can be a hassle and an inconveniance so again I am greatful for your feedbak as this is something else we can look into going forward.

I do hope your recent stay with us will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.
We look forward to welocoming you back here again.