Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed one night prior to any early appointment. Room was a good size, clean and comfortable. We needed twin beds, the second bed was converted from the seating which is in the room it was however firm and very comfortable for an adult, the other bed was a double. The bathroom was good, with shower only. The only minor criticism we would have of the room was the wash hand basin was in the bed room not the bathroom which could be a problem during the night.

The self service check in was easy and quick to use.

We ate in the restaurant at the hotel, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was fine and reasonable.

For a short stay would use again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Excellent hotel, just on the edge of the city centre by the waitrose roundabout. very clean & tidy, free parking at the side of the hotel for about 5 cars. but there are parking spaces on 2 floors underground for approx 50 cars. rooms are a nice size. nice & easy check-in the girl on reception was very helpful.showers in room, kettle, tea, coffee, milk, sugar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Eddie E
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel was easy to find. Conveniently located for shops and restaurants. There is free onsite parking if you can get it. The lift lobby coming in from car park was very damp had mould growing in carpets and smelt really bad but apart from this the hotel was clean and tidy and what you would expect from Premier Inn. We used the self check in terminals which we hadnt used before so it probably took longer than a person checking us in but we got there in the end. We stayed from 10th August to 16th August and enjoyed breakfast in the hotel most mornings. With 3 kids it was good value for us and the staff were great and coudnt do enough for us. The food is average but they have everything you could want from cereals and yoghurt to fried eggs, sausages, bacon etc

A tummy bug made its way round the family over the space of 3-4 days. The housekeeping lady and her team were awesome as it cant have been pleasant. Thanks a million :o)

We will definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank faye p
lincolnshire uk
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Brilliant hotel for Sheffield City Centre, with free parking, all the staff are so helpful. Had to visit Jessops Children's unit and could even walk there in ten minutes. ( all the other hospitals are within walking reach as well) Love this location for wk/end away in a city centre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had to Visit the City of Steel for work purposes and decided to book into Premier Inn St Mary's Gate. Parking was easy enough, underneath the hotel in a secure car park. Reception was located on the 3rd floor along with the Bar & Restaurant. All the staff I encountered were polite and very friendly. I noticed when I was in my room that the power sockets weren't working, I told Reception and within 10 minutes the problem was fixed (Trip Switch). This was at 10pm which impressed me. Dinner and Breakfast was good, very tasty. Also within walking distance to the City Centre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Last year I stayed here with my teenage grandson, when he competed in a swimming competition at Ponds Forge. We were so happy with the hotel (see my review for July 2013 titled 'I'll be back') that I had no hesitation in booking five nights when we returned for the same event in August.

We arrived at the hotel to discover that both lifts were out of order and had to climb, with our luggage - a large heavy suitcase, smaller bag, my grandson's backpack with his swimming gear and a laptop - to the third floor Reception. I could not have managed alone but despite the fact that we were clearly visible on the monitoe in Reception, no offer of help was forthcoming. Luckily, my grandson is a fit seventeen year old.

On checking in, we were told that our room was on the 11th floor. I thought the receptionist
was joking. I am 75 years old, recovering from a fractured spine and take medication for a mild heart problem. We had just had a six hour train journey and I had barely managed to negotiate the 60 steps to the 3rd floor. I could not possibly have climbed a further 160 or so (there's approximately 20 on each flight). The best the hotel could offer was a room on the 7th floor and we had no choice but to accept it.

We had to leave again thirty minutes later for pre match training and the lifts were still not working on our return. This meant a further climb to floor seven, where we came across a middle-aged lady collapsed in tears as she made her way to her room on the 12th floor.

On reaching our own room, the key card wasn't working and my grandson had to make yet another trip to Reception to get it re-set. A few hours later, with the lifts still not working, we made the journey to the restaurant on the third floor.

I had booked a table for 7.30 as we had to be at the pool early the following morning but on arrival at the restaurant, chaos reigned. We waited two hours from ordering to service and other guests waited even longer. By the time we had eaten, one of the lifts was fixed (we were told the second lift would be out of order for three weeks while they waited for a part from
abroad). At breakfast the following morning, I had to pay for a full continental meal, when all I wanted was a cup of coffee and a slice of toast and later that day, the lift broke down again, something which continued to happen every day for the rest of our stay.

Housekeeping was conspicuous by its absence. Our room was only cleaned once during our five days and the bathroom, which was grubby when we arrived, was not cleaned at all. I made the beds each evening on our return from the pool and the bins were never emptied

On this occasion, we were very disappointed and the only reason I have given two stars is because of the staff. They were brilliant and Amy, in Reception and Aiden in the restaurant coped amazingly well with frustrated and angry guests. They did their best but unfortunately it wasn't good enough.

I am a reasonable person and don't make a habit of complaining. I appreciate that this is a budget hotel and also that things can go wrong from time to time but two small, inter-dependent lifts can't possibly be adequate for a twelve storey hotel, especially as there is no service lift which could be used in an emergency and there seems to be no contingency plan in the event of such an emergency.

My biggest criticism however is the fact that I wrote to the regional manager on my return home. Three weeks later, I haven't even had an acknowledgement.

Will I come back next year? I don,t think so. There are hotels much nearer the venue and I will use one of these next time, even if it means paying more.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gemma G
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I sincerely apologise that on this occasion you were let down by various maintenance and housekeeping issues. Please can you email your details to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Had an excellent break in Sheffield, great city. Very clean and tidy hotel with secure car parking facilities. The hotel staff were very cheerful and welcoming and couldn't do enough to help you feel comfortable. Our room was very spacious with good views.
Would definitely recommend it to others!

• Stayed November 2012