1,454 results
All reviewscity centrest marys gatesecure parkingcar parkshower and toiletring roadthird floorecclesall roadmeal dealon site parkingkey cardself servicegood nights sleepall you can eatfamily roomexcellent stayexcellent value for money
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I visited the St Mary's Gate Premier Inn hotel for the first time on a business trip on a very snowy weekend in mid winter. I stayed for two nights, which coincided with being in a cast and on crutches, after breaking my foot.

My first impressions after exciting the taxi, was where is the hotel itself! I could tell by the huge sign it was the Premier Inn, but there seem to be no visible signs of a hotel lobby, reception area or anything that would make you think this was a hotel. However, once inside the automated doors it became apparent that the hotel started from the 3rd floor up, which was accessible via two lifts. Thank goodness, because I was not going to be able to do 3 flights of stairs, especially on crutches; even though there are stairs, no-one I am sure, including me would like to have to climb stairs with luggage. Upon exciting the lift, the entrance to the hotel was apparent and I was welcomed by the hotel clerk/receptionist standing behind a small lectern. She was happy to guide me through the automated registration process that was reminiscent of a Banks ATM; in order to show my booking and obtain my electronic room key.

The hotel key would allow access not only to my room, but to the corridor of hotel rooms on each of the floors above the third floor reception area for added security. Particularly, as the building was not exclusively the property of the Premier Inn.

The room itself was very pleasant and I was surrounded by a very nice colour scheme, which I found pleasing and comfortable, especially as I like the colour purple. The room was environmentally warm and friendly, with a uniquely compact unit that housed the clothing area, TV, hair-dryer and kettle, tea/coffee/milk, etc. Although I have to say there is never enough milk for one person or cup of tea or coffee, but the staff were always happy to supply more as needed. There were also the usual dressings of a table/desk and chairs, with access to the internet and room to plug in a laptop, etc. I was most impressed by the shower cubicle with its semi-circular shape and seating area, with no high steps, which I was grateful for, making it relatively easy for me to access, especially as I was at the time temporarily disabled and on crutches.

As my stay was pre-booked for me, I discovered that apart from the accommodation I also had included in my hotel rate a meal deal package for dinner, as well as breakfast the next morning, which was thoroughly enjoyable. The food was plentiful and consisted of enough choices to suit most palettes. Sadly, the room rates are not at the pre-advertised rate of £29 a night (as shown on TV and their advertising), but the package cost overall makes it a reasonable stay.

All the hotel staff were polite and helpful, especially when I needed directions to the location of my business visit, whereupon they also printed a map for me and another guest, which also contributed to my pleasant stay. The room itself was comfortable and offered a good nights rest without any noticeable noises, despite being in the centre of the City and close to a main road. The view from my room window only offered a look at the building across the road and some glimpses of a small part of the City itself, as well as the gloomy cold, snowy, windy weather of a winter’s night outside.

Room Tip: All the rooms on al the floors will be the same other than the bed will either be on the right or left as you enter the room.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Me and my Partner stayed here last Friday. everything about this hotel is Amazing from The Cleanliness down to the friendliness of staff and nothing is too much for them . We was impressed So we decided to eat in the Restaurant in the evening - It was Busy ( must have been stag & Hen party's in. Charlotte sat us down and took our order etc Very Nice friendly upbeat girl. We waited 5 Minutes before the Chef (Dave) brought our food to the table We had Steak and Fish, We wanted to know where the Fish came from and what it was - In most company's the chef wouldn't know but he just rolled out what it was and where it came from instantly. Charlotte was really really busy on the bar So the chef took a further 6 meals out to tables and on the way back to the kitchen each time making sure Everybody's food was OK and if they wanted anything getting e.g Sauces . Our Food was Delicious and cooked to perfection . We will defiantly Visit this hotel again .

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan_1987_4
Reviewed December 6, 2011

All the staff are fantastic people. Nothing is too much for them. They are warm and welcoming and are always up for a laugh. In particular Chloe. She was fantastic ! Nothing was too much for this girl. She helped with information of the city, taxi numbers and was a really funny down to earth person. She will do well in your company. She always made the effort and I would deffinetly come back to the hotel because I know you have staff like her. I also think Kate was very charming and helpful on check in.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Welcoming and friendly staff, excellent environment and atmosphere, top quality room and fabulous food. Ideal location for access to the town centre and public transport. Overall an extremely pleasant trip - wish we could have stayed for more than one night but will we definitely book here for future trips to Sheffield.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed here last Friday night and were unsure if we wanted to have the breakfast.
The poster in the lift showed the breakfast deal at £7.99.
The poster showed a plastic tray..which you would expect to get at a school canteen or a prison which rather put us off.
I was waiting for my husband and was approached by the restaurant manager who invited me to look at the buffet breakfast. He also explained that we could order items which could be cooked to order in the kitchen.
We decided to take the breakfast and were not disappointed!
Excellent poached eggs were served to our table, and we were able to choose what ever else we wanted.
Neville the restaurant manager was not only welcoming but went the extra mile to make sure we enjoyed our breakfast.
This made our stay really great and we look forward to returning very soon.
Premier need to change the image of their breakfast advertised in the lift as it does not reflect what is really available.
A first class breakfast at an amazing price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple