“Good modern hotel with large rooms and handy for city centre”

Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Wigan
“Good modern hotel with large rooms and handy for city centre”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed two nights on boozy weekend. Conveniently placed on ring road but close enough to nightlife areas.
Room immaculate, shower spacious with seat but strangely sink outside in the main room which was a bit irritating.
Staff friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Walk to university appears short but is uphill!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Doncaster
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Things got off to a slightly odd start when I received a call round lunch time on the day of our stay advising of an issue with my booking. I was told that they had the booking, it was paid for and the room was ready (always good to get this detail in when saying there is a slight issue!) but that for the check-in system to accept me they required the name of the other person staying, as I had advised there would be two people in the room. No harm done as I provided details, but as I say, odd. Not sure if this is a genuine issue, whether it's a Premier Inn requisite, or whether they were looking to bump someone into a single room?

Made our way into Sheffield and towards the hotel. If you know Sheffield it's a 10-15 minute walk there from the station, but if you're not au fait with it then it's a bit of a pig to find and may take a bit longer. It's on the edge of the centre, but certainly not far from anywhere you might be heading within. When we arrived we headed up to the reception on the third floor and checked-in. As a newer Premier Inn, check-in is done through a 'self' service machine, but in reality the staff are talking you through the whole process anyway. Talking of the staff they were all very approachable and helpful, but barring handing the door card over at the end this was the only interaction we had.

Went to our room on the 8th Floor and were met with a clean spacious room in the Premier Inn colour scheme. It consisted of a double bed which seemed pretty comfy (I'd had a bit to drink that night, so can't comment as to how beneficial it was for a good night's sleep), wardrobe, tea making facilities and a television with… wait for it… Freeview! Excuse the sarcasm, the Premier Inn website is pushing this as something amazing, which it clearly isn't.

There was also, rather unusually, a basin in the main room rather than in the bathroom. Not an issue, there evidently isn't room in the actual bathroom - which consisted a toilet and shower cubicle - so why not make use of the available space.

Due to its location I do think it's quieter here than other central choices. I didn't find an issue with noise at night, but think my wife did a little; however this is pretty usual for us as I'm the deeper sleeper.

Didn't have breakfast here, but if cooked properly and supplies are restocked then £8 for all you can eat seems reasonable. We headed to Sheffield's glamorous Moor area and opted for a cob and hot drink from Greggs for £2 instead.

A few other people have mentioned the lifts being a problem. When we got there and when we headed out in the evening they were fine, but come the morning one of the two was out of order. Mrs. Robinho decided to wait for the lift and I decided that as I had to drop the door card off that I might as well take the stairs. So I went from the 8th to the 3rd floor, dropped the card off, then went down to the Ground floor and waited. And waited. And waited. One lift for this hotel is not enough, so if you do see one isn't working then take the stairs as it is definitely the quciker option.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I thought the dinner and breakfast offer was very good with first class food.

Nice clean and spacious room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

After searching for a hotel far enough out the city center to escape the noise but near enough to walk, we chose the Premier Inn, St Mary's Gate.
Really pleased we did as everything really was spot-on. Even though we arrived more than 2 hours before check-in the receptionist discovered the room was actually ready and allowed us to check in early. One thing that really stands out is the friendliness and helpfullness of all the staff we encountered.
We stayed on the top floor and had great views over Sheffield. The room was no-frills but perfectly adequate for a short stay. Everything looked as new from the furniture, bedding and carpet and I can honestly say we've never stayed at a hotel so immacculately clean. The housekeeping staff do a fantastic job here. Same with the restaurant, great breakfast with everything you could possibly want to start your day. We had dinner one night and it was really good, plenty of choice and in a nice setting.
Security is also good, your door card is required for hotel access on an evening and also to the corridor your room is on.
When I return to Sheffield I would book this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Thanks for your review of our hotel. It is great that our clean hotel and facilities met your expectations and your stay was a comfortable one. We endeavour to deliver the highest level of service in all our establishments and your feedback helps us focus on doing this. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn again in the future.
Lancashire
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Room great; very clean, warm and spacious. Hotel quiet but only 10 min walk to city centre. Lovely looking bar/eating area. Staff extremely pleasant and helpful. It was a bargain price too!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank winnieg10
liverpool
Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband and i have just returned from a one night stay at this lovely clean and friendly hotel.The staff were all friendly,and nothing seemed too much trouble for them.This was our second stay here and we will most certainly be back.Thank you all

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed February 12, 2011

The location of the hotel was ideal for my needs, and the underground car park meant I could leave my car there safely for the duration of my stay. All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and surprisingly quiet - I slept well every night.
I didn't eat at the hotel, but the bar area was comfortable - I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for your review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you were comfortable and well looked after. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.