“A regular haunt”

Two Steps Fisheries
Ranked #268 of 1,492 Restaurants in Sheffield
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Don't be surprised (or put off) by the queue out of the door. It's amazing & fantastic value for money. If you go once, you will return.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Quality of food spot on, local chippy and really friendly. Good value for money. Just read other reviews - what kind of idiot eats fish in his car and moans about it afterwards?

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Having lived in Sheffield for a number of years i've eaten at number of local chip shops and I can honestly say this one is by far the best. Great value for money and very friendly service from cheerful staff. My fish was cooked perfectly and the batter nice and crispy the way I like it. They are happy to take individual requests and fry the way you like it (less batter/no batter etc) so don't be afraid to ask if you don't mind waiting for something fried in a specific way. I will be back soon for my next fix!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

twice now I have experienced that the fish from Two Steps lingers for about a week having eaten whilst in the car. If fish leaves a smell after you have eaten it then it's a sign that the fish was not fresh and either has been frozen and then thawed and has signs of it going off before cooking. Just that it took over a week before the fishy smell of cod had left my car and this has happened twice now. When I go to other fish and chip places this does not happen. I hope the owner reads my comments and can assure customers that from now on the fish is fresh caught on the day and not frozen. Doesn't take long from time of catching for fish to deteriorate and go off.
Some folks who sell fish call it "fresh" if it's only recently been removed from the crate it was delivered in.
Cloudy puddles that develop after you press your finger into the flesh and remove it are a good indication that the fresh is rotten, or nearly rotten and, if it has been frozen and thawed, probably wasn't fresh when it was frozen.
How the fish smells is probably the best test. It doesn't take fish long to develop a slight "fishy" odor so I wouldn't throw out every fish that has a slight odor to it but if it's pungent and if you'd describe the smell as "stink" then it's not fresh enough to work with.
If you buy fresh fish that isn't frozen just press it with a finger and release the pressure. It should rebound; your finger impression should not remain in the meat.

TwoSteps1895, Manager at Two Steps Fisheries, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hi Diezeltruck,
Thank you for taking the time to review us.
We are sorry that the smell has lingered in your car so long after eating there.
We can assure you that all our food is cooked fresh and from reputable suppliers. As a business we have been open 118 years and it is important to us and our customers that our food is high quality. It is most certainly not gone off or rotten - our staff would not eat a meal from us on their breaks if this was the case and the fish is firm favourite!
I hope this reassures you about our service.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Think this place is lovely, stopped by for simple cod and chips and have to say its the best in town
Only problem, they forgot to give me my gravy, but the taste made up for it
Defo be back

TwoSteps1895, Owner at Two Steps Fisheries, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for the lovely review - we're pleased you enjoyed your meal.
Sorry to hear we missed the gravy from your order the other day. We're training new staff at the moment but there's no excuse for forgetting!
Please let us know next time you pop in and we'll make sure the next gravy is on the house to make up for this!

Thanks,