“Beware of the vinegar!”

Ranked #540 of 1,499 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Dore Moor Inn in Dore Sheffield is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We came to the pub for a meal with visiting parents on a Saturday night. The pub itself is lovely and has a very cosy feel. The menu is part of the Vintage Inn chain and is what I would call "posh pub grub" We had booked a table and if you are planning to visit on a Saturday night I would recommend booking as it was very busy.

Prices are varied and there is a good choice. Haddock and chips was £7.99 or if you like steak, for example, a sirloin was just over £14. Portions aren't huge but you will certainly feel satisfied.

I chose the haddock and wasn't disappointed. The fish was huge and coated in a lovely crisp batter. Served with mushy peas and "seasoned chips"

I have a few gripes about this pub/restaurant:

1: because its trying to be a bit upmarket the condiments are brought to the table by the waiter in a long wooden tray, in small ceramic pots, for you to help your self then are taken away. The vinegar was in an open top jug. Whoever had this idea clearly doesn't use vinegar, ether that or they like their food swimming in it! Absolutely impossible to have a small sprinkling on your chips, I didn't even try!

2: you are certainly not encouraged to hang around for a drink after you've eaten. We were all full do didn't want dessert. So when we declined to see the dessert menu the waiter just brought the bill straight over.

3: my big concern here is the poorly lit "overflow" part of the car park. As the main car park was full on our arrival we had to park on the extra bit. There was no light at all and the location of the pub means its very dark. We had to walk up an incline that had a very uneven area to in and a row of what appeared to be cobbles so please beware should you use this area of the car park if you are in anyway unsteady on your feet.

Ultimately we went to enjoy a nice meal and we all did. I just feel there are these few things I've mentioned that could be improved upon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

this pub is in an excellent location and enjoys a cosy atmosphere and pleasant staff. Why is it that the food has hit rock bottom yet again? My chosen dish was Hunters Chicken----two pieces of chewy chicken topped with undercooked streaky bacon and accompanied by a tiny portion of indifferent chips and peas "shot from guns".Another member of our party chose gammon steak which was so chewy and salty she was unable to finish her meal.Portions of fish and chips were also observed to be considerably reduced in size.Will definitely give this one a miss in future.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

3* in my opinion. Good for a special sunday lunch location. Not cheap but nice food for a one off.

Staff are pleasant enough. Decor could do with updating but has a cosy atmosphere and the fire is lit in winter which is nice.

Usually busy but always seated and service not affected

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is quite local for me and we tend to eat there about once a month. The log fire is very cosy and the food is good. Staff usually attentive and helpful. Some good cask and guest beers. Good informative web-site making it easy to book online.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Although it has has a few ups and downs (food-wise) over the years, it has become a safe bet for a good meal on the outskirts of Sheffield. The fact that it is regularly full I take as a good sign. This CAN be reflected on service times though.
In Winter the log fire is a welcoming site.