“good value”

Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
north east england
“good value”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

stayed here for a Friday and Saturday night as we going to a concert in Sheffield. we booked to stay here as it was a reasonably priced 4star hotel with free parking. the hotel was easy to find with the use of a sat nav of course. the room was very modern and clean, and was of a generous size for a double room compared to other city hotels we have stayed in. the cooked breakfast was a buffet with the usual selection of foods you would find on a fry up, the scrambled egg was poor but the cooked to order fried eggs were good. there was a selection of fruits, cereals and fresh bread, the only downside was the stale croissants both days. the hotel is in an ok location but is a bit of a trek to the centre if walking. there is a road very close by called London road with plenty of restaurants and takeaways. the motorpoint arena is not in walking distance and costs just under 10 pound to get there in a taxi. if we were to visit Sheffield again we would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Trevor V, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear How_do_you_do,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all feedback received as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Trevor Vels | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Very surprised by this hotel, it's brilliant. Rooms are really spacious and clean. Bar is great and the food is good too! We had a great time for our anniversary and seeing a show at the motor point arena, 10 min taxi.
The staff were great too, very professional, friendly and big smiles. Of I need to go to Sheffield again I would stay here! Thanks guys

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Trevor V, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Leah C,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a positive response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your superb feedback and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your anniversary stay with us.

I am particularly gratified to read your comments regarding our staff and will be sure to pass this on to them all.

We trust that you will stay with us again on your return to Sheffield.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Saturday 5th October for a friends wedding. Hotel was clean and modern. The staff seemed friendly enough around the hotel. Great prices and we would stay again if in the area.
The Tea and coffee was difficult to find and was hidden away in the wardrobe,which seemed strange! Reception helped us to find it though.
The hotel is right next to Sheffield united football club (joined on) and about 5 Mins taxi drive away from the city centre costing about £5.00, however it's about 20 mins walk to city centre so not close enough.
Ok hotel for a decent price and would come again

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 587PaulineM,

Thank you for your valuable and positive feedback received. We sincerely appreciate your superb compliments and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for any future visits.

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night with friends on 28th September and were very pleased with our choice. The hotel was very modern with stylish and comfortable rooms that had everything you would need for a weekend away. We paid for breakfast which was very nice with a great choice of options on the buffet. A big plus was free parking on site which isn't the norm with most hotels. The only downside was the distance from the Sheffield arena which was slightly further than I thought. I would use this hotel again when visiting Sheffield in the future for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma D,

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a positive response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your superb feedback and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay.

Thank you also for your positive comments regarding our breakfast and parking facilities.

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your return to Sheffield.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a weekend away. We booked through Superbreaks which included an evening meal on the first night and breakfast both mornings. It cost £90 per person for two nights on a Friday and Saturday. We picked this hotel as it was fairly central and had good reviews. There was also no football on so we knew it wouldn't be too bad on the Saturday. We had the evening meal on the Friday and it was superb. The waiter was excellent (can't remember his name unfortunately) and when we asked what was included with our deal he explained. We got three courses each and only had to pay for our drinks. There was a supplement on steak, lamb and mixed grill which was expected. I had the pork to start followed by the fillet steak and then a chocolate brownie to finish. My girlfriend had the fish starter followed by Coq au vin (amazing) and Oreo and Baileys Cheesecake to finish. The food was absolutely amazing and would have cost us a lot more had we just turned up and ordered. the breakfasts both mornings were brilliant. Buffet style full English breakfast with some other options like Salmon if you wanted. The Sunday morning we did go down at about 10am for breakfast and it was full so I would advise to go down a little earlier if staying. The restaurant and staff, however did cope no problem. The bedroom itself was very spacious with modern decoration. Sky TV with Sky sports included and a very comfortable bed.
All in all this Hotel was good value for money and I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Trevor V, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear JTW0903,

I am particularly gratified to hear of your positive experiences in our restaurant and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our chef and restaurant staff.

We trust that you will stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Sheffield.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Copthorne hotel, is one place I will always remember. I love its subtle ambience both from inside and outside for its alluring deception of taste. My father- in- law had stayed here before and he chose it again on his visit from Australia to the UK. The background to his visits I must tell you otherwise you won't get the full gist of why he keeps coming back. He is a managing administrator of one of the youth football associations in New South Wales and they have a business relationship with Sheffield United FC. Biennially they come on training and playing tours with the kids suffice to say they bring a large party from down under. This is why and how I unwittingly benefitted from the Copthorne's hospitality that I seek to share with you.

The service staff are socially adept, courteous, helpful and go the extra mile to make you feel both comfortable and welcomed. My partner and I live in London so we had gone up to Sheffield to meet my father-in-law staying in Sheffield for a night. We had access to his room and before we went over to pass the night at our own hotel one street away, we had spent the whole day relaxing at the reception lounge and dined there. The service manager was what I 'd call a good fella very hands on approach and delivering by example not barking orders. Everyone of them was on first name terms with my father-in-law's party as both a social and business bond had been formed.

Dinning was superb, timely served and almost always a buffet with lots to choose from. If you ever needed anything more there was always someone to ask if they could get you anything more. The bar and lounge area a glance away from the dinning area has got this serenading atmosphere and you could see the balance achieved with the interior in terms of the lighting and colour blend.

My father-in-law's suite is what I will describe as an abode with the customer borne in mind! The view and the hue is what would make any believer in feng shui rue with delight! From your entrance into the lift till you egress into the corridors and stepping into your own suite the watchword of the designers is one I would say speaks of the biblical creed 'To love your neighbour as yourself' as your feet sinks into the well cushioned carpeting. No reverberating sounds or noise and as you enter your suite you are welcomed with the feeling of being in a sanctuary exclusively designed and decorated with you in mind. Solemn is the word! Nothing I touched was hard touch but soft touch. The bathroom suite and I could make it my wilderness for forty days and forty nights only that my bank balance would suffer! Everything was tidy and in the right place and balance. My father-in-law was so full of words for the services they have enjoyed each time they come to stay at the Copthorne especially from a lady staff by the name Lucy. Not the kind of Lucy crooned about by Lionel Richie in one of his songs as the "baddest girl this side of town" but this Lucy with her lovely Yorkshire accent epitomises what very good customer service is all about as I had the chance to meet her so I testify!

My overall appraisal for this hotel is very positive and they should keep it up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ayo L,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a positive response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your superb feedback and are delighted to see that you and the football group clearly enjoyed your stay with us.

I am particularly pleased to note your comments about Lucy - she is definitely one of many shining stars that I have the fortune of employing. I am delighted that you were able to experience the superior levels of service from her and others that we are so proud of.

I do hope that we will have the honour of hosting your future stays in Sheffield with us again.

Girona, Spain
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Here for a football game and happy to be here when it is buzzing and busy both in the bar and the car park. Nice room and good check in.
Bar service truly awful though, clearly don't care about residents when football fans are drinking and boosting their profits.
Glass of average wine,£8.25, tried to order food, no chance, it is after all 11.01 and Kitchen closes at 11. Room service but at the bar? Of course, sir, here is our list of sandwiches, check them out and I will be back in a minute. Still waiting for his return, 45 mins later.
Put the bill on my room? Of course, sir, queue at reception to give them a crèdit card (no mention at check in) and come back here then we can then put
bills to your room. Can't you take my card? No sir, queue or cash only here.
So, stay here, if you don't value customer service, are happy to be treated as a 2nd class customer if you are a guest but not drinking pint after pint, don't fancy any food and are happy to pay silly prices for your drinks.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank DarrenS1968
Dear DarrenS1968,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your recent experiences at our hotel.

Please accept my apology for the obvious frustration caused by the lapses in service standards that you experienced at our bar on Friday evening. Although our food service times which relate to staffing in our kitchen after 23h00 appear to have been the principal cause, I can assure you that the distinct lack of flexibility and service offered by our bar staff will be addressed with the staff members concerned. I have also noted that an aggravating factor was the inability to charge your drinks and food to your room account without the provision of a credit guarantee on check in. Again, please be assured that I will address this with the staff member who checked you in as it is a standard of our business to offer this on arrival; specifically to avoid this form of delay during our guest's stay.

I do hope that my response has sufficiently addressed your concerns and that you will consider returning to stay with us again when you next visit Sheffield.