“Really Good”

Copthorne Hotel Sheffield
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed Saturday 2nd March. In Sheffield to see the great Richard Thompson at Sheffield City Hall. Really excellent stay. Hotel was easy to find with free car parking alongside. Fortunately Sheffield United were playing away that day. I imagine access to hotel and car park very different on match days but as it was it was very quiet. Room comfortable, very clean, king-sizes bed and lots of tv channels to choose from. Food in bar in the evening was good and reasonably priced. Continental breakfast was ok. Staff extremely polite and helpful, organised us a taxi to the venue no problem. All in all really good hotel. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: High floor gives great views over the city
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartinBall
Trevor V, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Mr Ball,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all feedback as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality. We will be sure to pass on your positive review to all of our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Trevor Vels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here 8th 9th march 2013 as we wanted to go around meadow hall shopping. We was not disappointed easy to find car park small but we got a space even though we arrived evening time, reception staff very welcoming and was given a parking pass as Sheffield united was playing on the Saturday. The room was very modern and clean and a good size,with tea and coffee facility's hidden behind very smart cupboards as also was the iron board and iron (nice little touch) we ate in the 1855 bar on our first night and was not disappointed with the mature steak dish! Fantastic and quick service.There was a lot of children attending the football match that was staying in the hotel and I did think we probably wouldn't get much sleep as they were all excited but once back in the room after our meal we were surprised how quiet it was and didn't hear a thing the bed was so comfy we slept soundly. Breakfast was fantastic and a good choice and you was seated at your table and a choice of a pot if tea and coffee offered and staff made sure to re ask later if you required more hot drinks.we opted for full English which was self service so you could get what and how much you wanted. Later after breakfast we asked at reception if they could ring us a taxi to meadow hall they were very prompt at booking our taxi and was given a choice of time.had a busy day shopping in meadow hall and grabbed a taxi back straight from outside the doors of meadow hall which cost only £9.00each way lot less stressful than driving and finding a parking space.on return the match was in full swing and as our room was connected to the stadium we wasn't looking forward to the noise after a long day shopping but we was pleasantly surprised that once they window was shut you couldn't hear a thing.that evening we opted to eat out as we both enjoy indian food, and reception staff happily booked our taxi again which on trip adviser reviews we opted for Ashoka restaurant which cost us less than £5 each way fantastic meal and another good nights sleep. Me and my husband would highly recommend copthorne hotel for any one that wants a city break with fantastic rooms and lovely staff!

• Stayed: March 2013

We will be sure to pass on your positive review to all of our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Fanatsic Hotel. Nice staff, good rooms, walkable to the city centre and rail station. Can't fault it. Room was superbly clean. Beds have luxury toppers making them very comfy. Bathroom was very nice and all the ameneties you need. All for a very reasonable price. Well done.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting our daughter who is at university in Sheffield. The hotel was excellent value, similar price to a premier inn but much higher quality. The room was large, with a super king size bed, very comfortable mattress and pillows. It was very warm on arrival, but the air con sorted that quickly.

Breakfast was lovely, freshly prepared eggs, large choice of cold and hot foods.

One or two minor complaints. The lightning in the room, albeit atmospheric, is too dim to see easily, so doing your hair after dark is really hard. The bathroom lighting is bright for make up etc.

The full length mirror in our room was behind the desk, despite there being several other places it could have been sited. This meant that it was hard to see ourselves in it (the desk is not moveable). The shower was good, but not terribly hot, only adequate, and the control didn't seem to alter this. Our wired Internet access in the room didn't work, we called reception who said they would send someone, but no one turned up. We were then going out so left it.

Overall though, we would definitely visit again, all staff were welcoming and helpful, and we got a great night's sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yorkshirepug
Reviewed March 2, 2013

By far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I loved the rooms. Nicely decorated and has its own ironing board. Very clean, and I love the steam resistant mirror. Nice touch! The staff were friendly, and the bar and restaurant looked very modern and appealing. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Me and my partner stayed here as we were in sheffield for a concert at the Motorpoint arena. We got a taxi to a restaurant and to the arena, which were both around 3 miles away.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights and I really enjoyed my time. The hotel has great decor, is exceptionally clean and the staff are polite, helpful and friendly.
I had one evening meal in the bar area and it arrived swiftly, was presented nicely and tasted great. I also had breakfast the two mornings I was there. They have a great selection of hot and cold options and the restaurant is nicely set out.
I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return if I come back to Sheffield.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived at the Copthorn Hotel on Thursday 17th January 2013 for a three night stay. We were checked in by a very rude and unfriendly receptionist. I initially booked the reservation with my credit card, but did not bring the credit card with me, as I wanted to use cash and my laser (maestro) card. When I gave my laser card for her to swipe, she did not recognise the card and did not even try to put it through, even though it is a maestro card. I asked her could she not use the credit card that was provided upon booking, but she rambled on about the amount of internet fraud. (Talk about making you feel welcome). She then demanded that we paid cash, which was fine by us, as either way we still had to pay. It was the manner in which she handled the situation. She took the money, didn’t even say thanks. I then asked her were we allocated a quiet room, as we had requested it, which she abruptly replied “all our rooms are quiet” hmmmm. Not according to tripadvisor!!!!
The receptionist didn’t even say enjoy your stay. Honestly, I do not understand why people work in jobs that they clearly dislike. A course in customer service would not go a miss for this receptionist.

We then proceeded to our room, which was clean, warm and comfortable(room 523). We later headed into town (about 15 mins walk) and had to ask reception for directions. Thankfully, we were greeted by a very friendly, helpful and efficient receptionist called Jacqui, who could not have done enough for us. She ensured that we knew where we going and certainly went the extra mile for us.

The room was warm at night, which was great, given the freezing temperature outside, so we could not fault this. The room was serviced every-day to high standards, but on the last day that the room was serviced(sheets were changed), the sheets were ripped.
We also wanted to make a local call but our phone was blocked because we did not swipe the card card when we checked in. A little annoying, but some Hotels must not like to make money.

We did not eat at the hotel, given the initial welcome we received, so i cannot comment on that aspect.

It is also interesting to note that the Hotel does not take the time to reply to customer’s feedback on tripadvisor. Is it because they don’t care what we think? I guess I’ll never know, as they probably wont ever read this.

Overall, the Hotel is fine, but I would not recommend it to family or friends and certainly won’t be returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Charlotte K

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all feedback as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality. Please accept my personal apology for the lapses in our usual standards of service at reception and in housekeeping experienced during your stay.

Please be assured that all feedback received is utilised as a training tool and where necessary, corrective action applied. I can further assure you that this will be the case in this instance in an effort to ensure no similar recurrences in the future.

I do hope that you will choose to visit us in the future and I invite you to contact me directly to allow me to take personal care of your arrangements and reaffirm your faith in our business.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.