“Excellent value”

Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
yorkshire
“Excellent value”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting our daughter who is at university in Sheffield. The hotel was excellent value, similar price to a premier inn but much higher quality. The room was large, with a super king size bed, very comfortable mattress and pillows. It was very warm on arrival, but the air con sorted that quickly.

Breakfast was lovely, freshly prepared eggs, large choice of cold and hot foods.

One or two minor complaints. The lightning in the room, albeit atmospheric, is too dim to see easily, so doing your hair after dark is really hard. The bathroom lighting is bright for make up etc.

The full length mirror in our room was behind the desk, despite there being several other places it could have been sited. This meant that it was hard to see ourselves in it (the desk is not moveable). The shower was good, but not terribly hot, only adequate, and the control didn't seem to alter this. Our wired Internet access in the room didn't work, we called reception who said they would send someone, but no one turned up. We were then going out so left it.

Overall though, we would definitely visit again, all staff were welcoming and helpful, and we got a great night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank yorkshirepug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

By far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I loved the rooms. Nicely decorated and has its own ironing board. Very clean, and I love the steam resistant mirror. Nice touch! The staff were friendly, and the bar and restaurant looked very modern and appealing. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Me and my partner stayed here as we were in sheffield for a concert at the Motorpoint arena. We got a taxi to a restaurant and to the arena, which were both around 3 miles away.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights and I really enjoyed my time. The hotel has great decor, is exceptionally clean and the staff are polite, helpful and friendly.
I had one evening meal in the bar area and it arrived swiftly, was presented nicely and tasted great. I also had breakfast the two mornings I was there. They have a great selection of hot and cold options and the restaurant is nicely set out.
I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return if I come back to Sheffield.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived at the Copthorn Hotel on Thursday 17th January 2013 for a three night stay. We were checked in by a very rude and unfriendly receptionist. I initially booked the reservation with my credit card, but did not bring the credit card with me, as I wanted to use cash and my laser (maestro) card. When I gave my laser card for her to swipe, she did not recognise the card and did not even try to put it through, even though it is a maestro card. I asked her could she not use the credit card that was provided upon booking, but she rambled on about the amount of internet fraud. (Talk about making you feel welcome). She then demanded that we paid cash, which was fine by us, as either way we still had to pay. It was the manner in which she handled the situation. She took the money, didn’t even say thanks. I then asked her were we allocated a quiet room, as we had requested it, which she abruptly replied “all our rooms are quiet” hmmmm. Not according to tripadvisor!!!!
The receptionist didn’t even say enjoy your stay. Honestly, I do not understand why people work in jobs that they clearly dislike. A course in customer service would not go a miss for this receptionist.

We then proceeded to our room, which was clean, warm and comfortable(room 523). We later headed into town (about 15 mins walk) and had to ask reception for directions. Thankfully, we were greeted by a very friendly, helpful and efficient receptionist called Jacqui, who could not have done enough for us. She ensured that we knew where we going and certainly went the extra mile for us.

The room was warm at night, which was great, given the freezing temperature outside, so we could not fault this. The room was serviced every-day to high standards, but on the last day that the room was serviced(sheets were changed), the sheets were ripped.
We also wanted to make a local call but our phone was blocked because we did not swipe the card card when we checked in. A little annoying, but some Hotels must not like to make money.

We did not eat at the hotel, given the initial welcome we received, so i cannot comment on that aspect.

It is also interesting to note that the Hotel does not take the time to reply to customer’s feedback on tripadvisor. Is it because they don’t care what we think? I guess I’ll never know, as they probably wont ever read this.

Overall, the Hotel is fine, but I would not recommend it to family or friends and certainly won’t be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charlotte K
Trevor V, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all feedback as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality. Please accept my personal apology for the lapses in our usual standards of service at reception and in housekeeping experienced during your stay.

Please be assured that all feedback received is utilised as a training tool and where necessary, corrective action applied. I can further assure you that this will be the case in this instance in an effort to ensure no similar recurrences in the future.

I do hope that you will choose to visit us in the future and I invite you to contact me directly to allow me to take personal care of your arrangements and reaffirm your faith in our business.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,
Trevor Vels
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed in a few places in Sheffield and this is my favourite. Huge rooms, great beds and bathrooms. Very quiet and with a decent bar/restaurant.
Perfect for business especially if you are driving (free car park) but a bit of a trek into the centre but only £5 in a cab I guess

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room was cold although well decorated and clean. They forgot our breakfast! At check in they said we should pay on check out, however few hours later they left us a letter in the room saying we need to pay immediately. I would not recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marsha J

Please accept our apology for the unfortunate lapse in standards with regard to your method of settlement and the non-delivery of your breakfast. I would like to assure you that the necessary corrective action has been taken and have no doubt that should you choose to visit us in the future, you will enjoy a superb stay according to our usual standards of hospitality and efficiency.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future which will allow us to demonstrate our superior levels of service; thus reaffirming your faith in our business.

Kind Regards,
Trevor Vels
suffolk
Reviewed February 25, 2013

we stayed at this hotel in june last year for 3 days wish it had of been more really enjoyed everything about it
the room was very clean the breakfast was very tasty.. the staff were very helpful.would stay again in a flash

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple