“absolutely dreadfull”
Review of Sleep Sheffield

Sleep Sheffield
Ranked #24 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I didnt expect too much as it was very cheap but this was so bad the hotel is filthy , the once light carpet in the hallway was a mingy shade of grey the bathroom was dirty hair in the sink and bath mold and black slime around shower screen I've actually videod the bathroom as I was amazed don't be fooled by the online pictures , great idea but some one needs to check what the cleaners are doing !! we found the nearest 99p store and invested in cleaning products as we couldn't find a vacancy any were else that weekend

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KirstyMc123

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Photos on their website are very misleading, but having said that it is very cheap and if all you need is a clean place to stay for a night or two then its fine.
No en-suite anything in my room. Very dark throughout.
Odd to call it Sheffield B&B when there is no breakfast involved.
You get texted a number entry code to get in. No one on duty on the premisses.
Key is left in open room when you arrive. When you leave you put the key and payment inside an envelope provided through a key-drop box.
Free WiFi !!! But signal wasn't strong enough to get signal in my room, shame.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My experience at this unstaffed hostel was below average to say the least. The first worrying thing was when we arrived to check in and there was a man outside who advised us that this may in fact be a brothel, as they are happy to book rooms by the hour! We took no notice however and carried on inside. The owners had given us instructions of how to get in so it was all very straightforward to get to the room. Worryingly when I stopped in the communal toilet on the way, there wasn't any soap at the sink so I had to go to my room to wash my hands each time. The room wasn't spotless but it was clean and comfortable enough for us to just sleep in. It is quite a noisy area however, and as it was hot when we visited we had to have the windows open and there was a lot going on outside (not always pleasant). The worst thing about this place however, happened for me on the second day I was in Sheffield when the proprietor called to tell me that there had been complaints from the room next to ours that they had been "shouting through the wall til 1:30am trying to stop our party". This came as a shock as we had all gone to sleep at 12 ish, and hadn't been out for a drink at all. The most upsetting part was when I wasn't permitted to offer my version of events and the owner just told me that "he didn't want to get into an argument with me about it but if he had to refund anyone because of my group, then he'd charge my debit card". It was so rude, and he acted like I was a petulant child and not a 30 year old professional. It made me really upset at my friend's birthday party and ruined my weekend a bit really. Suffice to stay I will NOT be staying there again and I would advise others to look elsewhere too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Claire W
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I don't know how this can be described as a hotel. No reception, food, service or private facilities. The place is filthy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 480Matt
Reviewed April 20, 2012

this is a super little hotel warm clean roomy and comfortable at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Pleasantly surprised with this place - nicely decorated rooms and hotel. The shared shower upstairs could have probably done with a clean/upgrade but the rooms were spotless and bed comfortable.
The hotel was unmanned the whole time we were there (all of Saturday and a bit of Sunday) so it's a bit tricky if you have a problem/question.
Compared with the outrageous amounts the Travelodge and Premier Inn were charging for the weekend, the value here was pretty good.
Also they need to stop calling themselves a B&B as there is no breakfast!!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2011

It's hard to review this hotel as a 'hotel', as it's actually more like a bed and breakfast - without the breakfast. I booked through Late Rooms.com, as I needed a cheap place to stay overnight after my work Christmas party. A few of my colleagues, on hearing where I'd booked, looked positively aghast at my choice of venue, although I suspect some of this was just banter.
Saying that though, Sleep Hotel is definitely not the Ritz. But it doesn't claim to be either - above its entrance clearly hangs a two star rating.
I'd agree with others who've reviewed on here in that it's novel when it comes to check-in. You're emailed/texted a door code for the side entrance, along with your room number. Also, and this was a nice touch, a staff member phoned me on the day to confirm I had the check in code.
If you're walking from the city centre, it's a steep walk by the Cathedral (well, downhill on the way there!) to Sleep Hotel (obviously I'm not criticising the hotel for that). On arrival (I turned up just before 6pm on a Friday) I entered through the inconspicuous gate/door, walked to the entrance and entered the PIN. Door was a bit sticky (I found this with most doors in the hotel - a can of oil wouldn't hurt in places).
The first impression was just unusual, not unpleasant. The building was formerly a snug little back street pub, so everything is, let's say 'compact'. There IS a reception area as you enter, complete with desk and seating area, but sans staff! It's clean and smells strongly of beeswax furniture polish in that area.
Then it's tight stairwells with low doors/ceilings up to the floors where the rooms are. To be honest, it was tidy everywhere. Slightly like someone had turned their house into a youth hostel. I had a single room, which consisted of a bed, a wardrobe, mirror, towel, tea/coffee and kettle. My door key was on the bed, next to the towel. I'd read a review that slated amenities and said towels were damp. I'd disagree strongly. Everything was clean and dry. The room was also very warm. This is December and I opened the window on waking, as I was too warm.
Maybe I was just sleeping awkwardly, in a Princess and the Pea kind of way, but I found the bed in my room seemed to balloon upwardly in the centre. I switched position and put my head at the end of the bed and I felt OK.
The bedding smelled clean, although the pillows weren't the most comfortable. Also, the bedding consists of duvets on a bedspread, which, whilst homely, immediately made me question whether they are washed and changed as frequently as regular hotel bed linen. I'm sure they are, but I imagine this must be a hassle for the staff?
The hotel has free wi-fi, which was intermittent on my floor. This WAS the top floor and I noticed on my departure that the service is merely a wireless router under the stairs on the bottom floor, so reception will always be hindered.
The room I had, shared a bathroom with others on the same landing. I didn't actually use this, but I used the separate WC. The toilet was a bit pokey and basic with Tesco handwash, but, again, it was clean and provided the basics a toilet needs to provide. Although the taps were loose on the sink!
I'd imagined, when I checked in, that it would be a noisy place, as the floors are a bit creaky and I could hear doors slamming, but in fact, I slept like a baby and I didn't see a single other person during the whole stay (unusual for a hotel!)
Checking out is basically a case of just leaving the hotel! In the 'reception area' there is a staircase door which is locked and has a letterbox where the customer posts their key.
I'd be interested to see when and if this hotel ever has staff on site or a bar etc.
I certainly don't feel ripped off and I had a comfortable night's sleep, although most room photos online seem to show spacious double rooms. If all the single rooms are of the size I had, then they are basically box-like.
Another slightly bizarre thing is the TV reception. The Sleep Hotel must be the only place in Yorkshire which manages to receive Freeview Digital TV with a snowy and poor reception! I didn't think that was possible. I'm guessing it might be down to the topography of the area. One tiny grumble, and this is my only true grumble, with no reception, there is no means of leaving your key behind for security. I was constantly fearful on my evening out that I would lose the key and be stranded, or phoning the landlord in the middle of the night!
Summing up, I'd say it's a two-star hotel, which is worthy of that rating, but would struggle to improve it. I can't actually knock the place though. It is called 'SLEEP', that's what I did and that's what it's designed for! I don't think it really deserves some of the ropey reviews I've seen. It's clearly a family-run enterprise and its price, considering proximity to the city centre, can't be sniffed at!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business