“excellent beer - average food”
Review of The Cricket Inn

The Cricket Inn
Ranked #301 of 1,475 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Cricket Inn, a warm welcoming pub nestled near the village of Totley. Starting it's life as a farmhouse and became a pub when the Totley train tunnel was built in the 19th century to shorten the distance to Manchester. It is currently run by chef Richard Smith and Thornbridge Brewery under the BrewKitchen group. Our resident in house Chef has been able to bring his Portuguese flair to the pub and has created some amazing and sumptuous dishes that suit all the family. We are proud to produce a range of events at the Cricket Inn and offer Real Ale Nights, a Gin Menu as well as the chance to hire the venue for a party or celebration. Quality is what we aim for so why not pop in and say hello and tell us what you think here!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

loved the beer selection - thornbridge jaipur is my favourite and they also have others on draft. fab. Lovely day, lovely setting and everyone in a good humour - we were a group of 6 on a busy sunday. didn't mind the long wait, but sadly couldn't actually eat my "7 hour braised ox cheek" when it arrived - too gelatinous and made me feel a bit queasy, so a waste of £18, although I haven't had ox cheek before so probably my mistake. everyone else thought food ok, although £14 for a roast sunday lunch is quite pricey and we were charged extra for crackling which was not only again "quite pricey", but also not particulary pleasant - seemed dessicated rather than crunchy. we then ran out of time, so didn't get as far as desserts / coffee.
wouldn't be tempted to go again for the food, but wouldn't mind sitting outside on a nice day with another couple of pints of thornbridge.

There are newer reviews for The Cricket Inn

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had a meal for ten on a busy Friday night and staff were friendly and flexible; they moved us to a better table when requested. Early bird menu is super value, the local beers were an eye-opener (I'd never heard of the brewery before) my only caveat was that the cheeseboard wash a bit pedestrian - it needed some strong French soft cheeses to beef it up... Epoisse, Munster, Brie de Meaux etc.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I live about two miles from the Cricket Inn, and have been visiting it now for over 20 years, when it was just a 'time warp' local country pub.
Now taken over by a small Sheffield pubco it has morphed into a gently upmarket restaurant and bar. It's a given that English pubs seem to have become either a pub that serves food, or a restaurant that serves beer, and it's good that the Cricket has placed itself smack bang in the middle, and gets it right.
Situated right on the boundary of Totley Cricket Clubs ground on the edge of the Peak District National Park, the Cricket has two distinct areas - the restaurant, which is off to the left as you go in the main door, (it has its own small bar area within it), and the pub/bar meals area to the right as you enter, consisting of two rooms with ample tables and chairs. The area directly opposite the bar is the place that captures how the Cricket used to be, with a cosy sitting area and a roaring log fire.
Beers are predominantly Thornbridge (try the Jaipur @ 6%!!), and always an upmarket continental lager on tap to round things off. The winelist is eclectic without being over the top, and nearly everything is available by the glass.
The food is definitely a step up from 'yer average' pub food, with blackboards throughout showing the Chef's specials for the week - ask for pork scratchings and you get the Crickets own, straight from the kitchen.
In the winter it is everything an English pub used to be, roaring fires, great beer, good food, and I'm even allowed to let my dog go to sleep under the table, which is a terrific plus, although I have to be open when I say that that's where a dog should be, on the floor, not sat on the seat next to their adoring human, as I have seen once.
On a beautiful warm summer evening, it can be busy, very busy, but there are over twenty wooden tables outside on the grass, where beer and meals are served by the well mannered, and well spoken staff.
All in all, the Cricket is well worth a visit for a one off, and you can then compare my views of the place with your own, and make a decision whether you include it on your 'regular visit' list.
I must say that a gorgeous warm evening always invokes the phrase "fancy a beer at the Cricket?'
I hope you found this helpful.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We visited The Cricket Inn for lunch and were made to feel most welcome. With a good selection of hand crafted Thornbridge beers, a wide variety of wines and a splendid choice on the menu, I knew it was going to be a good experience. The waiting staff were attentive and helpful and service was very good. Prices are a little high, but then again if you want quality, you sometimes have to pay for it. The specials board had some good offerings, from which I chose a 6 hour cooked lamb shank. Everybody in the party enjoyed it and we will certainly return if we are in the area (hopefully without the car next time!). Well reccommended.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great location, food, set up and plenty of outdoor space. Decent food and very good value plus good selection of beers too