“It used to be fast food”
Review of Yankees - CLOSED

Yankees
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family run american diner
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“It used to be fast food”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have eaten at Yankees many times over the past two decades (or more). It used to be a great treat for the kids and we adults. But we took the grandchildren there for lunch earlier this week and although the restaurant was far from busy, the service was very slow.

The food was as good as ever but we'll be going elsewhere next time we want lunch in short order.

• Visited May 2013

Buxton, United Kingdom
“It used to be The Place!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have taken my family here for over 30 years, my mum and dad, my daughter and now my grand children. The atmosphere used to be buzzing, the music was great and the food fresh and very tasty, an unbeatable venue. Slowly over the past few years standards have slipped a bit. The decor is looking tired, we love the old posters but maybe the furnishings could be updated, windows brightened up etc. We went to celebrate a birthday and took the family. The food was ok, smaller portions, not as tasty and far more pricey. The burgers used to be legendary! The service was good. I would go back again because it was alright...it used to be excellent! I really hope that it will be again.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Will definitely be going back!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had heard Yankees was a great spot for good portions of typical American food at great prices and that's exactly what I got!

Before visiting decided to look at some of the recent reviews and wasn't sure what to expect having read some negative comments. So we went last night and we ordered the shrimp as well as the nachos for starters, both fantastic portions for only around £4 each and pretty good quality, much better value for money than most chain restaurants we have eaten at.

For mains we both had the large Yankee burger and at just under £10 it was a mountain of food! both thoroughly enjoyed the food and felt stuffed after, the 2 girls serving were also pleasant and prompt.

This is not somewhere you would go on a fancy celebratory meal or a business lunch but somewhere to have a few drinks, a chat and some great food in a relaxed environment, makes me wonder why ive spent so much money in the bast going to places like TGI Fridays! Would give this place 5 stars had they not been out of the Ribs (sorry!) but will definitely be back again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Classic American diner feel, great cheese burgers with their classic sauce, choose your time of visit well so as not to run in with the crowds, friendly service, would help if there was air con, bit too warm for me

Chepstow, United Kingdom
“The Magic lost”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Yankees used to be affiliated with another restaurant just up the road called Uncle Sam's. Over the years Yankees went its separate way and kept to it's basic winning style.
So good are their Cheese Burgers that the amazing cheese topping is almost legendary. Indeed it has been the topic of forums and discussion boards all around the interweb.

It goes without saying that if I'm ever within an hour of Sheffield, I go.
Nowhere have I found a better burger other than in Asheville USA, and even that was only "close".
On Friday 29th March 2013 I once again visited Yankees. It wasn't very full but I waited 35 minutes for my burger to turn up. I asked for the biggest cheese burger they did as I was hungry and what I was given was only half the size of the bun...
As for the legendary cheese topping... whatever that was - it was was not it!! It was more like a weak melted form of dairylea.

As for the service, I was typically told by the waitress that she'd go and get the condiments - but I never saw her again!!

35 mins for a burger that was so disappointing, the customer service that was the worst I've witnessed there - to say disappointed in an understatement!! I have raved about Yankees across the web and even recommended it to Dom Joly, I take visiting friends there from time to time also.... But alas... It has totally lost it's magic!

• Visited March 2013