Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
a must visit for textile enthusiasts

This is a small museum, but it covers most of the history of the Reading area. For me, the exhibit... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from $350.20
from $22.20
from $35.27
More Info
All reviews bayeux tapestry biscuits local history old town hall biscuit factory stuffed animals victorian school room roman artifacts full scale free entry wonderful collection worth a visit rainy day on display abbey ruins couple of hours reading town centre
Selected filters
Reviewed August 16, 2019

Very interesting for adults and a 9-year old who's learned about the Normans at school. Don't spend too long on the early panels as there are a lot of them to look at!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed August 7, 2019 via mobile

Decided to pay the museum a visit as we recently discovered the Archeological dig in Silchester and I had heard that they had more information here. I came along with my 14yo (who loves history), and my 8yo (enjoys history if you make it interesting). We started in the lower floor and made our way up.
Firstly, I had no idea that there was so much history in Reading. The lower floor explains all about Reading and it’s history.
The middle floor has a Victorian copy of the Bayeux Tapestry. This came as such a surprise. I visited the original about 30 years ago, so this was brilliant to see. The descriptions underneath are very interesting to read, and I found that reading it out to my daughter while she looked at the embroidery made it much more interesting for her. I would love to know why they were so keen on carrying a Hawk? Perhaps it was explained in the second half? (We only read the first half as we only had 90mins so we need to go back for part 2).
The top floor is much much bigger than the other two floors, and as time was against us we only managed to get through the Silchester section and the Ladybird books (made our miniature books though, which was fun).
We are planning on going back again soon, and hope to see the remaining parts of the museum.
Oh, and it’s free!!! Cannot find anything to complain about, thank you.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 23, 2019

The museum has a full scale replica of the Bayeux Tapestry, embroidered in the 19th century, Also details of the long history of the town

Reviewed July 21, 2019 via mobile

I had a couple of hours to spare in Reading town centre last Thursday afternoon. I’m glad I decided on the Museum. I think they are having some work done and it was a bit confusing getting into the building. It gets better as you go up in the building. If you are short on time I would suggest you start at the top and work you’re way down. It’s just preference but I found the exhibits on the top floor much more interesting. The Ladybird book exhibition was fascinating. I loved making my own abc book. I had no idea Huntley and Palmer biscuits came from Reading and loved finding the tin made in the year I was born. But the highlight of the whole museum for me was the ceramics. The Alan Caiger-Smith pots are stunning, but the Silchester Roman pottery collection is vast, varied and inspiringly special.

Date of experience: July 2019
Matthew W, Manager at Reading Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2019

Thank you for your lovely review. So glad you enjoyed your visit.

We have the builders in and were refurbishing our main entrance, reception and shop, but all back to normal from this week, so hopefully its no longer confusing for visitors!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2019

There is a full floor for the Bayeux tapestry and it's a cool history exhibition, from Romans to the biscuit empire that was (Huntley & Palmers)