“Service was awful”

Pizza Express
Ranked #224 of 638 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Reading Oracle offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend and I went for a late lunch and the place was almost empty. Male waiter was friendly on our arrival, asked where we would like to sit and gave us menus. All well so far but after ten minutes or more, when we were ready to order, he was still standing near the reception texting on his phone.
Only when we were about the get up and leave did a pleasant young woman - who seemed to be doing all the work there - come and take our order.
Food was average and with so many cafes and restaurants at the Oracle, no one has to suffer poor service like this. Makes me wonder what it's like when it's full if that was an example when they have only 6 or so tables occupied.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere wasn't bad but the pizza was terrible. It just wasn't too my liking others may like it but it just wasn't for me. The presentation was nice, the food was hot, and the waiter dropped a slice by accident and brought out a new pizza for free and let us keep the one with the missing slice. So like I said everything was actually a great experience I just didnt like the flavor of the pizza, perhaps you will.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We recently had a family outing to this pizza restaurant early one Saturday evening, and in hindsight I wish we had gone to the other Pizza Express in Reading which we have use before.
Whilst the food quality was good and the service was excellent, it felt like we were dining in a very poorly decorated cave. The decoration its self appears old, tired and very grubby. This combined with the shape of the restaurant which is long and thin (just like a cave), and the lack of effective sound attenuation which good decoration and design could provide, makes any noise seem much worse than it really is. I know the restaurant was full and every other table seemed to be celebrating a birthday, but in the end the background noise became completely unbearable. By half way through the meal every member of our party had to shout to one another to be heard, and this was just adding to the noise and spoiling the evening.
Reluctantly my advice would be to use the other Pizza Express in Reading until something is done to address the noise and decor issues in this particular branch, which is a shame as the staff work so very hard.

1  Thank Alwaysonholiday53
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I went there with a couple of friends. I ordered pizza but was smaller than other restaurants and also it took them 40 mins to serve the food.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We visited Pizza Express on a Wednesday as we had the Orange Wednesday voucher. The food was tasty as always but the place was packed!!! We were seated quickly as there was only 2 of us but if you want to go as a group I would avoid Wednesdays for sure unless you can manage to book in advance. The service was fine, staff are friendly and efficient. Was just crazy busy and could barely hear myself think!