“A transport cafe has better service and cleanliness!”
Review of Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest
Ranked #249 of 622 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, United Kingdom
“A transport cafe has better service and cleanliness!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The bar counter was sticky, the table we were shown to was sticky, the knives and forks were - you guessed it sticky. The quality of the food was underwhelming. Trying to get staff attention was very difficult. The member of staff who's attention I did eventually attract was not helpful. Avoid this place like the plague.

Good points, good location & plenty of parking.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank WandererFXRSC88

Earley, United Kingdom
“Everybodys' Sizzilig Sizziling but what a disappointment”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

With prices so low it is hard to resist the temptation of an additional 25% discount. On a Wednesday evening the place was full but with only 2 staff running the bar serving the food and clearing tables or not as the case may be it was going to be hit and miss.

Upon entering we found a spare table that others had just left still covered with dirty plates and glasses, but at least it was a table. Having waited a while to see if anybody would clear these away this was obviously not on anybody’s agenda so cleared the table myself and placed all the plates glasses etc on a shelf beside the table and purloined some tissues from another table to wipe the food off of the table, we were now ready to order.

Form an orderly queue at the bar and eventually place order.

When you consider most restaurant prices what you get on a good day is extremely good value but when you go on a bad day beware. Starters of Garlic Mushrooms and Chicken Hot Rocks both served so overcooked they were hard to cut and the salad garnish was brown and wonder how many other plates it had been on before ours. Main courses of scampi and a Mega mixed grill platter were next . It is not possible to do much wrong with 6 pieces of scampi and chips but with no tartar sauce on the table went to seek out one of the waiters who was dashing backwards and forwards serving food both inside and outside in the garden and asked if he could get some. My wife had finished her scampi before it arrived. The steak was served cold which was asked to be medium rare although not cooked in the middle and raw there was no blood so how old it was is difficult to know. The chips were warm as was the chicken with the best part being the gammon a small chink of light in an otherwise disappointing meal.

The dirty plates and glasses that I had taken off the table and placed on the shelf beside the table were still there when we had finished and left.

We are regular visitors to the Sizzler but based upon this latest visit this is perhaps the last time.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Raw chicken”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I visited this pub today for lunch with my partner. We both ordered chicken skewers! I had eaten one out of the two skewers, I went to cut into my next one and was greeted by pure raw chicken, it was purple
Not even slightly cooked, upon seeing mine my partner spat out his skewers. I called the waitress over and explained what had happened, she looked at the raw chicken on my flat and expressed her disgust, she was very apologetic and offered me a replacement meal, which I Declined for obvious reasons. She took my meal away and promptly gave us a refund which was good although I am now feeling unwell. My partner then cut into his remaining chicken which were all pink. This is outrageous and potentially dangerous! Avoid at all costs!!!

1 Thank LolaB18
“Cheap and not so cheerfull”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Terrible food, terrible bar service, good cheap drinkgs, but never again.... If I can help it. Bar staff should know "who's next" and not need to ask!

1 Thank Ian R
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Good value but seems very 'hit and miss'.........so poor overall.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have visited twice now. Our first visit was such a disaster that we were given the opportunity to go back for a free meal. So we returned and to be fair the food was ok and the menu choices are vast at very reasonable prices. However they had run out of things we wanted to order on both occasions, and there were lots of kids running around which made things quite noisy. Would we go back again - not in a hurry!

Visited February 2013