“Good food by the water”
Review of Bel and The Dragon

Bel and The Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bel and The Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 638 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Years ago I came here and it was a great location with good food. I went back in July and obviously the location is the same but still very clean and the food did not disappoint. I enjoyed the squid starter after seeing a table next to me and it was very enjoyable. Defiantly will be going back and try to take work colleagues there too, also pretty reasonable on the prices.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Given the weather, it seemed the obvious place to go having no food in a hot house. So I rolled down there.

Outside tables all gone - fine. Would have to wait 15-20 minutes until they even took my order, which was a bit off, though understandable. Could I have a snack and a pint (they do two decent local ales, in decent condition) while I waited? No problem (and squid arrived very quickly).

The main course was very well-presented and tasty, though portions were poor: a £3 portion of chips was really about half a portion.

What I didn't like, though, came with the bill: a compulsory 10% service charge included, like the tackiest tourist trap. Worse came when I was told that no, it was obligatory, and they wouldn't accept me leaving cash on the table when paying the rest by card. Trading Standards may well get a call.

Why have a high-end restaurant which could be so good, and pull a cheap trick like that?

1  Thank rg1ster
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is very nicely situated next to the canal which is now smartened up with ducks and narrow boats gliding past. Good outside tables for a pre dinner drink...then we went inside for the meal. The conversion of what must have been a busy waterside depot for the old Huntley and Palmers biscuit factory has been so well handled. it makes an interesting, spacious area for eating, with lots of room for tables, some in alcoves for privacy.

Food was nicely presented ...loved the knife and fork outlined in icing sugar next to the tarte tatin.
The desserts were particularly good. Friendly service from the Polish waitresses. Limited vegetarian options but the risotto was very tasty and filling.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited Bel and The Dragon for a second time recently after a party meal the first time (which was executed perfectly). We were seated immediately and drinks were brought; there was no waiting around and we had ordered our food after being there for 10 minutes. Overall the food was delicious and presented well; everything was very fresh, warm and with the ample portions. All three courses were perfection.

Service was attentive throughout the evening, even when it started to get busier. Our waitress also had a party table to look after which stopped her from visiting us as often, but a quick look over and she would be there immediately.

I would definitely recommend Bel and The Dragon, especially for a special meal, because you will get the food and service that you expect. The surrounds are lovely in Summer, too. Try to book outside if you are visiting on a Summer evening.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a family lunch to celebrate our daughter's 30th on a Sunday in June. We reserved the table in advance and were offered a helium 30 balloon (at a cost) but declined as we were pretty sure she would not want the attention.

The food itself was mostly good, although my wife did not like the green tomatoes with her starter. Those who had beef said it was very good, as was the steak that I had.

The service was good and the staff were friendly and attentive (mostly).

The total cost was about £330 for the 6 of us, so slightly less per head than some reviewers have mentioned and it included a bottle of prosecco, 2 bottles of reasonable wine, 3 courses, coffee/tea for most and a couple of liqueurs (in total, not each), so reasonably costly, but not excessive bases on the quality of the food.

The restaurant does cater to quite a number of families and so we expected a lively atmosphere, however one young lad kept on running around and hiding behind our table which was raised slightly and in a corner, which the staff were aware of, but did not seem to do anything about. Personally we would have controlled our children when they were that age a bit better, but maybe I am just being a grumpy old man. Overall it did not spoil the experience, although if we return I wonder if an evening might be less lively.