“Great building, staff and food; disappointing for kids”
Review of Bel and The Dragon

Bel and The Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bel and The Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 657 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Had family lunch here for Fathers day. Seven of us and had lovely round table in its own semi-private booth. Good range on menu, very friendly staff. Lovely setting with the beautiful old building and canal outside, although after a while the acoustics made it very noisy and difficult to hold a conversation across the table. Feels very child friendly but menu very limited and expensive for what you get - the spaghetti pomodoro was a smallish portion with runny, insipid sauce and no parmesan cheese; when asked, they were able to bring a few shavings of cheese, no grated cheese available

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We took some friends to Bel and the Dragon as a thank you, we had never visited before but looking at the menu it looked good as a treat. The food is delicious and well presented, and there is a good range of choices for all courses. The setting is lovely, a converted boat house with some original features, and very smartly done, and you can look out to see the canal outside. The location is a little further out of the town centre but there is parking on site and its worth the drive.
The service is letting it down slightly, it was a bit slow, we had to wait a while even once we were clearly ready to order, and actually had to ask someone over. We were served by about 4 different people and its always nicer just to have one person for the whole night. The manager (I assume) was friendly and asked if we were enjoying everything which was good, but there were other little slip ups such as drinks ordered part way through the meal that took a while to arrive. The waitress also committed one of my pet hates with paying the bill which was to automatically offer the card machine to one of the men in our party, when it only takes two seconds to look at the name on the card, and all mine say my title so it should be clear who is paying.
Overall it was a very pleasant evening and we would consider returning, but it does not quite match up to some of the other restaurants of the same price in Reading.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We live close to this restaurant so we end up eating there approximately 2 times per week. The food is good, the beverage menu better than most places and the staff fantastic. They have a kids menu, a baby change facility and toys for the kiddies. While this restaurant is more up market than the norm the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming, a great combination for a lovely meal. My only 'wish' would be for the menu to change more frequently.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Another excellent family meal on bank Holiday Monday afternoon. My wife, my parents in law, my adult children and even my 2 year old grand daughter all love Bel and the Dragon. It's great for special occasions and they are very good with children. You will have a good time and you will enjoy the food. The setting, the ambience and the service are all first class. So why is there a "but"? As the family breadwinner, I always pay the bill. I think it's more expensive than it should be by about £5-10 per head, which tots up if you pay for everyone. That's the only downside!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Really enjoyed a birthday lunch for a friend here over the bank holiday. The food was amazing, I had the suckling pig but the muscles were highly recommended too. The services was great and the atmosphere was busy but not loud or intrusive. Would thoroughly recommend.